PDA

View Full Version : I got knocked da fug out!

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Actually, it was my first knock out. I saw it coming, a right cross. Then slam. At first, I thought I was going to be able to shake it off and keep going, and then I just went down.

I got up right awa, got a standing 8 count, and was ready to go at it again, I thought.

Coach: Larry!
Me: Uhhh
Coach: You all right man?
Me: Uhhh
Coach: You still wanna go?
Me: Uhhhh
Coach: What are you thinking right now?
Me: Uhhh?

lol @ me. However, to redeem myself, I did get a sweet Diagonal Cut into Inside Bowing (O Soto Gari to Ippon Seionage) on a decent wrestler in BJJ tonight.

SevenStar
08-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Congrats, bro - welcome to the club. Atleast yours was in private. My first TKO was in my second fight. I hit the guy with a roundhouse to the midsection - as hard as it was and as many comments and compliments I got about it afterwards, I had to have broken a rib or two - but for some reason I hesitated after the kick...he immediately hit me with a cross that knocked me silly because I wasn't expecting it. I really don't remember what he threw next, I just remember seeing black, then getting up to fight. The ref said something to me, then stopped it.

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
How long before the headache goes away?

rubthebuddha
08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
The ref said something to me, then stopped it. he said "i heard you like aerobics." he figured that if you didn't punch the **** out of him right there for such an insult, you weren't mentally present enough anymore to fight.

apparently he was right, cause his head is still attached. :D

WD and 7* -- just for ****s and giggles, next time you don't get knocked out but people aren't sure, pull the old snickers bar routine. (http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?u_player=mediaplayer&adid=30) :D

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
I removed my lsat reply, because Ijust realized that it was directe at Sev, not me. See? I'm still acting stupid 3 hours later. lol

-edit- ps, Rubby I just snuck in the back door and yarfed in your sock drawer.

rubthebuddha
08-31-2004, 09:02 PM
well, it was, but it didn't originally have seven's quote in there. i didn't think you'd reply to him so quickly, but you beat me to the punch, so i added seven's quote in to make things a little clearer.

however, you're still farked in the head. do NOT sign anything unless it is a note saying you won't yarf on my clothes anymore.

fa_jing
08-31-2004, 09:02 PM
congrats. Avoid alcohol for a few days, try to rest/sleep at least 9 hours a night, and do not get yourself hit again for at least 6 weeks.

You should feel pretty good after two weeks, but need to completely avoid banging your head for longer.

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 09:05 PM
lol. Keith, I'm already on my 4th beer and I'm going right back at it on Thursday. I'm training for a San Shou match in October.

fa_jing
08-31-2004, 09:08 PM
you might be fine, or you might get 2nd impact concussion like I did. Alcohol also bad w/concussion.

Your hit was probably relatively mild, but I would take 2 weeks bare minumum and see how you feel.

fa_jing
08-31-2004, 09:12 PM
I mean, my sifu said he was knocked down and was right back at it the following week with no problems, but my experience was alot worse. Then again about an hour after the original hit when I was TKO'd, the guys knuckles showed up as purple marks on my forehead. 2 weeks later I was sparring, took a few mild shots and woke up the next day with a nasty fuc(ing concussion and post-concussion sydromes.

ShaolinTiger00
08-31-2004, 09:13 PM

about 2-3 days. mmmmmm brain damage.......

keep your hands up. ;)

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
I know where you're coming from Bro. But my coach has had 32 hardcore fights, and won 31 of them. about 8 MMA and the rest in Muay Thai. We also have a Boxing coach (who is the guy that trained Miguel) who's had about a dozen or so fights.

I have good, quality people who care about me taking care of me. I'll be alright Bro. Thanks for the concern though. It's appreciated.

Water Dragon
08-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
mmmmmm brain damage.......

Yeah, I'm starting to realize what it must be like to be you :p

How's the horse farm coming Bro? I've said a prayer that it all works out for you and J-Wo.

SevenStar
08-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
May be a day or two. Could be more, I guess depending on how many strikes you ate and how hard they were. No sparring for a while though.

SevenStar
08-31-2004, 09:29 PM
Where is the fight? Do you know who your opponent is?

Also, I just emailed you a form. It's....ummmm....a proimisory note that you won't yarf on rub's stuff anymore...yeah, that's all it is...you can skip the line asking for your SSN, just put your bank account number on it - for security reasons, of course.

Yum Cha
09-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Yea, did you get the warm loose all over feeling? How about the floor twisting up sideways then jumping up and hitting you on the side?

Royal Dragon
09-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Am I weird? I've been knocked out before, especially in the mid to late 90's when I sparred alot. My head would be sore, but not like a head ache, more like a bruise on the surface. I felt queasy in the stomach more.

The first time it happened it was like all in slow motion. It was a shot to the head, I saw it comming, thought, "I'd better stop that". I never felt it. I remember hearing "Thump", "Thump". I gues I got hit with a combo or something. I woke up on the ground, didn't know how I got there. I felt fine, got up ASAP! got ready to fight some more, and like 20 seconds later just got this wave of wuuzzynes and had to sit right down.

Another time, I got partially knocked out. I went black, but came to as I was falling. I was coherent enough to fall well, and recover but afterwards I was out of the game. It's like my reaction time dissappeared. I'd see something comming in, tell my body to move, but it it just wouldn't go. I'd see an open shot, tell my body to take it, but my fist just wouldn't go for it, or it would move so slow that I couldn't take advantage of the openeing. Needless to say, I got pummled pretty good in that fight.

scotty1
09-01-2004, 04:22 AM
"Am I weird?"

Yes. :)

FngSaiYuk
09-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
WD and 7* -- just for ****s and giggles, next time you don't get knocked out but people aren't sure, pull the old snickers bar routine. (http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?u_player=mediaplayer&adid=30) :D

Oh ghod that was hilarious!!!

BTW, from those of you who have experience in this - do you ever get 'used' to, or adapt to, in some way, getting knocked out? Or rather, do you ever learn to take the hit in such a way that you snap out of it before you black out or otherwise get all woozy?

The worst I've ever experienced was getting two quick fists to the face at the onset of a match while I was reaching out for a respectful handshake (something I was used to from wrestling). I felt really weak and woozy for like a split second before I realized what had happened and got ****ed and went into fighting mode...

Anywayz, does it ever get easier to shake it off?

MasterKiller
09-01-2004, 06:34 AM
The closest I've ever come to a KO was when I got hit with a waxwood staff on top of the head. Everything went white for about 2 seconds, but I didn't fall.

Anyway, my advice about concussions comes stictly from my NFL fanboy experience. Once you get the first one, the next one comes a little easier, and the effects can be accumulative. After five or six, most NFL players will retire because of the increased probability of future neurological problems. I'm sure your coaches are top-notch, but I would be wary of getting back into it too quickly. Your brain is precious. Take care.

Water Dragon
09-01-2004, 06:38 AM
I'm not sure about the knock outs, that was my first. I am getting a lot better at taking hard shots though. I'm at the point where i can just shake off blows that would have made me stop fighting a few months ago.

They still hurt though, that hasn't gone away.

SevenStar
09-01-2004, 07:27 AM
you can get used to taking shots - I don't think you can make yourself snap out of a KO any faster.

dub - match in oct or not, no sparring. Have miguel gear up - thai pads, shin guards, head hear and belly pad if you have one - and just fire off combinations at him. He's likely good enough that he can catch anything you throw at him on the pads. This way, you are at least working spontaneous combos and get to work some of your strategies. What if you are concussed and get concussed again in oct?

cuidado mijo...

ShaolinTiger00
09-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I'm starting to realize what it must be like to be you

Exactly.

How's the horse farm coming Bro? I've said a prayer that it all works out for you and J-Wo.

Thank you. We're planning for the baby right now and I've already got things in order for the move.

Tak
09-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Didn't someone post a study showing that people who have been KOd more than once or twice have something like 11x the chance of getting Parkinson's?

Suntzu
09-01-2004, 08:04 AM
I got knocked da fug out! ahhhh the memories.....

ShaolinTiger00
09-01-2004, 08:18 AM
What's up Rashaan? You feeling good champ? Good luck this weekend!

Water Dragon
09-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Where is the fight? Do you know who your opponent is?

ACSCA Tourney in Austin. I'm not sure who I'll be fighting yet.

lkfmdc
09-01-2004, 09:37 AM
my doctor told me I had dain bamage but I don't know what dat is???

take too many shots to the head and you end up like this

http://message.axkickboxing.com/images/user_uploaded/lkfmdc/Ross%20%26%20Rich.jpg

on a serious note, a friend of mine (and of many here) is having some serious issues because of head trauma,

WEAR HEAD GEAR
use a mouth piece

and if you have a headache for more than a day, go see a doctor

Water Dragon
09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I wore head gear, have a shock doctor mouthpiece, headache's gone.

SevenStar
09-01-2004, 09:44 AM
LKFMDC - check your PMs

lkfmdc
09-01-2004, 09:46 AM
I wore head gear, have a shock doctor mouthpiece, headache's gone.

and thus, I am very happy.... but others need to follow the same advice.....

on a side note, what the heck do we have to do to finally get you SC people to our events????

We have friggin MONGOLIANS and RUSSIANS and BRAZILIANS coming, but no US SC people?

Water Dragon
09-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Look Bro, if this gig works out in Texas and I actually have money to fly out, I'll come out and do a 'B' fight next year.

I don't know what's up with the rest of the organization, and it's not really my place to say anything. You know how the Chinese are.

One thing I am going to try and do is try to get us linked with a BJJ program down there. I figure that may be a good gateway to start getting more fighters involved in the program.

lkfmdc
09-01-2004, 10:10 AM

You know how the Chinese are.

:eek:

Meat Shake
09-01-2004, 11:39 AM
"How's the horse farm coming Bro? I've said a prayer that it all works out for you and J-Wo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. We're planning for the baby right now and I've already got things in order for the move."

^sounds like reference to a massive drug operation. :eek:
:)

"on a side note, what the heck do we have to do to finally get you SC people to our events????"

Have an event in the south.
Like in texas. :)

Suntzu
09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
What's up Rashaan? You feeling good champ? Good luck this weekend! feeling great..... thanks.... i'll stop by next week....

ShaolinTiger00
09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
cool. I'll be ready. Today I'm trying to recover from a "Dave special" submission.

He goes from knee on chest to moving the knee to your face, pinned under it very painfully. He then clinches your waist and raises your entire body onto your now cranked neck.

loads of fun.... *rubs neck*

Suntzu
09-01-2004, 01:24 PM
i wonder if there is a correlation between me not being there this week and feeling good........ hmmmmmm

ShaolinTiger00
09-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm certain that it's not coincidence.. :)