PDA

View Full Version : Heartrate while exercising

thresh
09-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I was just looking around on the web about cardiovascular stuff and came across a target heartrate calculator.

Apparently the MAX Rate formula goes like 220 - age = MAX. This would translate into 191 bpm for me, and a target operating range of 96-143 (50-75% MAX). These recommended values kinda disturb me because whilst practicing KungFu in my apt, I take my pulse every now and again and find it to be around 160-180. Regular practice for me.. I'll be breathing and sweating like a banshee too, but feel pretty awesome during and after.. Maybe my heart and lungs and body have been abused from the years of smoking & toking and I'm paying the price now by having to push to the edge of the envelope.

Would anyone say that this is beneficial, or counter-productive (assuming not overtraining)...

Serpent
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Don't worry about it. Max heartrate from that formula is like the BMI index. It's very innaccurate and targeted at sedentary people. For example, my MHR would be 186 by that calculation, but when I train HIIT I regularly break well over 200. But that's ok because I'm trained.

Also, the ideal range for benefit in non-HIIT cardio is 65 - 85% anyway, so a range that broad is a safety net.

When you train, push yourself. You should be able to recover to a comfortable state inside about a minute or two, no matter how hard you push. More than that and you're risking bad effects! Push yourself, but if you ever encounter pain or acute dizziness, wind it back. If you train regularly you can judge your own performance. Don't stress the "guidelines".

Toby
09-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
... when I train HIIT I regularly break well over 200. But that's ok because I'm trained.:eek: I struggle to get mid 170s. Running or rowing. It's been a long time since I broke 180. OTOH Iron breaks 220 while posting on kfo :D. But yeah, it's all relative. My resting HR is as low as 38 and I can get it to mid 40s within a couple of minutes of sitting around. I wouldn't worry with the 160-180 range unless you're hitting it while exercising at what most would consider a moderate pace.

Ming Yue
09-01-2004, 08:18 PM
You can limit the amount of time you're pushing the envelope - train at max in short bursts until you get a sense of where the "line" is for you.

I also train HIIT and tend to run right into the 190s at highest effort but get the most results if I maintain 185 for endurance stuff.

you'll figure out what works for you.

one of my teachers said: when you're training, talking should be an effort, and singing impossible.

he took a lot of blows to the head and was kind of kooky, but that stuck with me.

rubthebuddha
09-01-2004, 11:31 PM
ming yue has scored a hot date with the correct.

for high intensity bursts, you should toe the threshold of worfing your lunch, but don't cross it. recover during an active rest period then go again (so sprint, then jog, sprint, then jog).

for steady, consistent work, work between 60 and 80 percent of your maximum heart rate, depending on how well you feel and whether today should be a light or a heavy day. a heavy day of 80 percent should probably be followed by a lighter day of closer to 60 percent.

Toby
09-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
... for high intensity bursts, you should toe the threshold of worfing your lunch, but don't cross it.Unless you're WaterDragon, apparently :p.

Serpent
09-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Toby
:eek: I struggle to get mid 170s. Running or rowing. It's been a long time since I broke 180. OTOH Iron breaks 220 while posting on kfo :D. But yeah, it's all relative. My resting HR is as low as 38 and I can get it to mid 40s within a couple of minutes of sitting around. I wouldn't worry with the 160-180 range unless you're hitting it while exercising at what most would consider a moderate pace.
I should point out that I only train HIIT intermittently, while I train a LTMIIT* a lot more often, which keeps me at around 180. When I train High intensity, it's d@mned high.

*Low To Medium Intensity Interval Training. ;)

Serpent
09-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
one of my teachers said: when you're training, talking should be an effort, and singing impossible.

I would actually disagree slightly. When you're training basic cardio, you should be able to hold a conversation. If you;re starting to push the envelope, then your comment quoted above would apply. When you're training HIIT you should be able to do nothing else but silently pray for the end of the session. ;)