PDA

View Full Version : Got qua?

Mr Punch
09-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Does your style emphasize the opening and closing of the qua (sometimes spelt kwa?), and if so how and why?

Also, if you practise a non-Chinese art, and you can see parallels with this action (eg Thai kicking...?) please feel free to chat.

Cheers.

SevenStar
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
yes

thai kicking and striking in general.

you can see it in some judo throws

red5angel
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
what's qua?

yenhoi
09-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Qua is the hip area or the "opening and closing" of the hips.

In some FMA the qua would be a primary target to strike or cut or smash, either the outside hip or the inside pelvis. Silat has complex discussion of the hip/pelvis area in attack/defense of yourself and the attack or destruction of the opponents structure.

Any and all grappling arts realise the importance of the opening/closing of the hips, much like tai chi and other CMA. Any sweep or other escape from a bottom position on the ground requires the ability and space to open and close the hips.

:eek:

No_Know
09-02-2004, 06:27 PM
I understand qua (kua) from a Pa Kua book. One's feet can point straight, inward (towards inside of that leg), or outward (toward the outside of that leg).

It's like pushing a car stuck in the mud. The right angle and traction help. Since Mat started with the term, I will continue to use it for understand abilty by Mat. The kua acts as a stablizer for me a launch pad. I shift weight and direct 100% of me in the direction set by my kua (or step).

I tend to lift enough of my foot so that the heel stays almost if not completely in contact to the ground~--pivot on the heel for many of my maneuvers it seems. I keep my feet under me for the most part. I can pivot on the bal or heel of either foot with minimal weight shift.

I use it to move(balance, direct force, support, stabalize). And pivot ball or heel whatever is appropriate to my intent or reaction.

Perhaps some-such, some might say very good.

Mr Punch
09-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Nice post No-Know and yenhoi.

Yenhoi, would you know where you can find one of those nice discussions in silat? I don't do silat and never has but it sounds interesting.

Seven, nice but brief! Do I take it it's not particularly focused on in those arts, or you just don't feel like talking?!

No-Know, sounds similar to the cupping action in stepping in WC... I'll come back when I've got more time.

One Finger Zen
09-04-2004, 05:49 AM
whats qua???!?!?! :eek:

Theres a lot of emphasis on opening the qua and keeping it rounded in my Chen taijiquan class, so the knees don't collapse in and you lose your root.

peace, OFZ

SevenStar
09-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Mat
Seven, nice but brief! Do I take it it's not particularly focused on in those arts, or you just don't feel like talking?!

Nah, we focus on it. I had been in meetings and didn't really have time to post anything. Like many other CMA concepts, we use it but have no name for it, other than "opening and closing the hip" When you perform most strikes, your hips will either open or close, setting you up to deliver another strike utilizing the opposite motion. To understand that motion (the opening and closing) is to understand the essence of muay thai.