PDA

View Full Version : Motivation and overtraining

FngSaiYuk
09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
While being wary of overtraining and rest requirements, how do you guys get yourselves motivated to start your routines on those days that you just feel like crap and would rather just veg?

Y'know, when you just don't feel like you wanna do anything, but you also KNOW that once you hit that certain point in your routine, say 10-20min into it, you'll be full of energy, etc.... Yet you really really don't feel like doin' it... Like you've got these lead weights inside you that's keeping your butt in your comfy chair.

Anywayz, wondering what people do to motivate themselves into just doin' it.

Water Dragon
09-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk

It's like going to work Bro, don't think about it, just do it. When not training is no longer an option, that's when you start getting good.

IronFist
09-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
While being wary of overtraining and rest requirements, how do you guys get yourselves motivated to start your routines on those days that you just feel like crap and would rather just veg?

Y'know, when you just don't feel like you wanna do anything, but you also KNOW that once you hit that certain point in your routine, say 10-20min into it, you'll be full of energy, etc.... Yet you really really don't feel like doin' it... Like you've got these lead weights inside you that's keeping your butt in your comfy chair.

Listen to music that pumps you up. Watch a fight video or something that will pump you up. Think about which would you rather do, train now or get your ass kicked later?

Caffeine also works alone or with any of those above methods.

FngSaiYuk
09-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Y'know, it's been soooo long... I had totally forgotten how I used to watch vids to get me pumped and motivated to train...

Here it didn't occur to me 'cuz I'm viewing some tai chi videos (by Dr. Paul Lam) and so I'm not getting any motivation to do anything... What I really need is some Jet Li classics or some hard hitting, fast paced matches...

I remember back in High School, my wrestling team would get together to watch visionquest before meets to get us pumped... Sometimes its amazing how the daily grind can change you...

Anywayz, THANKS!!!

FooFighter
09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
FngSaiYu

How do you guys get yourselves motivated to start your routines on those days that you just feel like crap and would rather just veg?

Dude, it is all about your character and your desire to attain goals. Exercise is a daily habit for me and it is not I am better than anyone. It is just I have conditioned myself to do it like brushing my teeth.

I do not workout if I am sick or sore and that is okay in my book and dont think it's wise to push yourself when you are not feeling 100%. However if I am physical well and just feeling lazy, then I remind myself of my goals and personal commitment. It also helps to watch a movie like Rocky, a Bruce Lee flick, or some flick that molivate your butt to fight, to train, to go the distance, and to live the life you imagined.

If you at the gym and you lose mo jo, then I suggest listening some kick arse music and suck it up and be a man and blast through your workout, dude. Have a close friend at the gym give you some support and ask him to remind you of your goals and commitments. Worst case possible of lack of motivation in the gym or kwoon, have someone slapped you hard in yo face and I bet will motivate you. LOL.

Your success is our success.

Bao

bung bo
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM
it motivates me to train when i think of all the people that are awesome because they train so hard. GM ma han qing would train from when he woke up untill bedtime. people like that know what it's like to eat bitter. when my shifu is bustin his a$$ with his shifu and i'm watching a movie and then i feel really lazy and then go train.

i don't really have to push myself hard to train anymore. it's such a part of me. if i have to, i remind myself that if i want to get good, i have to train hard.

FngSaiYuk
09-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I wish I was able to go to a gym or any place where everyone is training... The rough part is training alone at home. That's why I sometimes need motivation, when the sky is overcast and I've just awoken on the terrible side of bed...

But y'know what, the video thing does work! I really gotta keep that in mind whenever my mind is telling me I need to train and my body just wants to veg...

Nice thing is I've talked to some of the locals & some of my nearby family and I've got a couple of kids that want to work out w/me... so those days will be easy ::grin::

Toby
09-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I've got a poster of 7* next to my bed, and one of rub on the other side. Any time I'm feeling lazy and roll away from the 7* poster in the morning I'm greeted by rub's lazy fat ass. That quickly motivates me to get out of bed and train like 7*. :eek:

Seriously, two things. (a) routine. Get in it and stay in it. (b) don't make yourself feel like crap in the first place. Eat well, get plenty of sleep and look after yourself.

OTOH I've found some people just have the motivation to train by themselves and some don't. The ones that do are in the minority of the general populace. It's easy for them to stay sharp. The others train sometimes but never really make a habit of it. I hope for your sake you're in the minority group.

FngSaiYuk
09-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Toby
OTOH I've found some people just have the motivation to train by themselves and some don't. The ones that do are in the minority of the general populace. It's easy for them to stay sharp. The others train sometimes but never really make a habit of it. I hope for your sake you're in the minority group.

I'm tryin', tryin'... I USED to train a LOT when I was younger... but then again, I always had a gym to go to and kungfu classes with a few like minded people around. It's a LOT rougher now, after years of sedentary officework trying to raise kids & such...

Anywayz, I'm trying to leverage the advantage of the internet... and so far, it's worked... I'm getting motivation and inspiration as well as more sources to different training methods so I ALWAYS have something I could be working on.

So thanks for those who've helped me, I intend on sticking around for a while to keep myself in this mode.

KaiKhoon
09-04-2004, 09:27 AM
It's always good to have some buddies to train with you, especially if you are weight lifting. It's a great way to stay motivated.

Toby
09-05-2004, 06:41 PM
People say that, but I find the type of buddies you have makes a big difference. Most twos or threes I used to see in the gym seemed to rely on one of them to motivate the others. If there wasn't a motivator, they would just spend most of their time chatting and not so much serious training.

Anyway, I like to train on my own. Less distractions.

KaiKhoon
09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
If you sit around chatting, your friends arn't serious enough to be training with you. I've been training with 2 friends for a little under a year now, and we push ourselves to limits maybe not possible without another body there to motivate. It's become routine now, and when they can't make it, I still go and train as hard as possible without spotters and people to help with negative reps.