PDA

View Full Version : Jing Wu?

EarthDragon
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi to all my brothers, question for ya.............

I guy named Sifu lee wozosky of Jing Wu southern praying mantis just opened in my town. I went to see him humbly and asked if he was interested in teaching me the gun as he had diplayed every classical chinese weaponry known to man.

He hesitated and told me to come back during class. I said great I will be back.
We talked for a bit he seemed to kinda know what he was talking about but certain things didnt add up.

I came to his class all of which were teenage newbies so couldnt tell anything from watching them.
I aksed him again if he would mind teaching me this weapon. I offered to pay for private lessons as not to take away from his students, he said come back monday. I then came back monday dressed in t shirt and sweat pants with my gun in hand.

I said respectfully please dont take this the wrong way but i would like to see you move first. He said why? I told him of my experience in mantis and martial arts in general and the rare opportunity I had to train under 2 very high level chinese masters and to be honest want to see you move with his weapon.

Well he then changed his tune and him hawed around and changed the subject and so we chatted for a while and then I offer to show him a little of my knowledge. I did a couple of throws and 1 joint lock, he said wow pretty good, then i said OK your turn, he said not today i'm real busy.....................????

So i said OK I will put the ball in your court, here is my number call me if you would like to teach me, bye for now and left.

sorry so long but question is has anyone ever heard of him or Jing Wu southern praying mantis he said he taught in San Francisco and Chicago for over 15 years but was tremendously out of shape, about 5'6 230 lbs with big a gut not that you can judge a book by its cover but wheres the dicipline? thanks in advanced for your comment and help

ngokfei
09-14-2004, 02:17 PM
When you say "gun" do you mean "stick"? made me laught the 1st time I read it, sorry.

Never heard of this gentleman but his method is very common amongst many teachers. I've trained with many teachers who were very fat or just lazy.

Don't think you'd find many teachers "especially older/chinese ones" who would just demonstrate on your say so. To them its probably rude, but to us it would seem ok to see the product before we spent the money.

Too bad this doesn't always work out. I've learned some really cool stuff from individuals you wouldn't even think knew martial arts.

better just wait to hear about his credentials. How much was he charging for private lessons anyway?

HiddenShadow
09-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Ive never herd of him or his school...where in the Buffalo area is the school located ? Just like any major city, we are gonna have our share of "not so great" KF schools....not saying that this one is particularly poor, but from what u said, u didnt seem to impressed.

EarthDragon
09-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

NJOKFEI,
Yes gun is the chinese pronunciation of the weapon commonly called a BO STAFF. I learned from a chinese master so everything I pronunce in chinese out of respect for the culture. The guy I am speaking of is not chinese he is polish. I had the liberty of learning from chinese so I understand how they think. I didnt think it was disrespectful at all how I approched him, actually I have more years in the art then he does( 25 actually) So I went to him very humbly and simply asked to see him move with his weapon. Not a outrageous thing to ask of any Shrfu. Still confused and he never called to boot!

Hidden shadow,
His school is on main st in the city of tonawanda across from mighty taco buy the canal. I am curious as to where you are in the city and who and where do you train? I would like to invite to my school and perhaps we could get together. I know most all of the kung fu players in buffalo and would love to get together. Drop me a PM and tell me who you are thakns again for your replies

Fu-Pau
09-15-2004, 08:07 PM
..."I told him of my experience in mantis and martial arts in general and the rare opportunity I had to train under 2 very high level chinese masters and to be honest want to see you move with his weapon.... I did a couple of throws and 1 joint lock, he said wow pretty good, then i said OK your turn..."

maybe he just thought that you had come to show off?

ngokfei
09-17-2004, 11:53 AM
"I learned from a chinese master so everything I pronunce in chinese out of respect for the culture."

doesn't help those who don't speak chinese (specifically mandarine).

"The guy I am speaking of is not chinese he is polish."
Makes no difference what nationallity he is.

" I had the liberty of learning from chinese so I understand how they think."

That's a major accomplishment since most Chinese dont really understand themselves!! I've known my teacher for 20 years and still haven't figured him out!!!

I didnt think it was disrespectful at all how I approched him, actually I have more years in the art then he does( 25 actually) So I went to him very humbly and simply asked to see him move with his weapon. Not a outrageous thing to ask of any Shrfu.

Wow since your his senior then why learn from him.

Sounds like you just wanted to see the competition.

Still confused and he never called to boot!"

wonder why??

good luck in your search

EarthDragon
09-17-2004, 02:15 PM
njokfei,

I think perhaps you are taking everything I am saying out of context and making an assumption of my intentions. I can assure you I am very humble and honest in what I do in my life and in my art.

you said "
Makes no difference what nationallity he is.

I am simply reffering to your first comment in your first post..... Don't think you'd find many teachers "especially older/chinese ones" who would just demonstrate on your say so.

That is why I said he was polish

"Wow since your his senior then why learn from him."

Just becuse I have more years in the art then he does does this mean he couldnt teach me anything??????? why would you say that? I know people who are much more talented than others with less time under their belt. And I really want to learn a weapon

"Sounds like you just wanted to see the competition"

. He is not competition to me at all, I teach for free to a selected handful of students.

But thank you for your comments............ be well