PDA

View Full Version : shaolin buddhism and ma in Africa

blooming lotus
09-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Have just chanced on an opportunity to take dharma and aide to Mosambique, Africa. Firstly, I heard someone mention ma in Africa a little while back. Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?

Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there?? I really don't know alot about the place, except the brief module I learnt in a history component at uni.

On a personal note, and maybe directed to Mickey, Gene, SPJ and even Toby ( for devils advocate factor), You know I have a daughter at home in Australia turning 11 right? We've spoken about volunteer aide positions and travelling together for a bit to do it. Africa was always on our list, though how likely she'd be to come is another story altogether.

I do think that aide aside, which is so needed in whatever capacity anyone can manage, is worthy on its' own, but because it's the plight of "ch'an" buddhist to spread dharma. What are your thoughts. Your best opinion or troll is welcome.

Question is this : if Ally ( my daughter ) doesn't want to go, best dharma to stay or go???

have several weeks to consider. What do you think??

Ps: may not have much food, water and likely not a computer. Because of lack of facilities , if and when I leave, I doubt it's going to be pretty. If I go, I'll send you my best "ugly shot" :) me in shaolin greys under the kilimanjaro. ( is that near - by there?? ) you may get lucky and loose me afterall ;) :cool:

Serpent
09-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Oh man, bl - you really don't have a clue do you. If your daughter doesn't want to go, what do you think is the right course of action?

Toby
09-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?Oh man, it's awesome! Daily 10hr training sessions in the shadow of Mt Kilimanjaro. Doesn't matter where you are, everything's near Kili. Training consists of a mixture of Tae-bo, TKD, wrestling, boxing, qi gong - you know, whatever works for them.

Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there??Heaps! It's a wealth of buddhism, particularly ch'an!

... directed to ... Toby ( for devils advocate factor)Why Eyebrows, I'm flattered! *blushes*

I do think that aide aside, which is so needed in whatever capacity anyone can manage, is worthy on its' own, but because it's the plight of "ch'an" buddhist to spread dharma. What are your thoughts.You'll be doing a marvellous job. Africans will welcome ch'an buddhism. It fits so closely with their cultural heritage. I'm amazed no-one has thought of this before!

Question is this : if Ally ( my daughter ) doesn't want to go, best dharma to stay or go???Go - your daughter will be fine raised by someone else. Poor African children are far more worthy than Ally. They're even more needy than Chinese students. Maybe not quite as needy as Indian teenagers.

Places to go? Maybe buy a farm in Zimbabwe. Or I've heard Somalia is nice at this time of year.

Keep us updated ...

Serpent
09-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Actually, bl, why don't you go to Sudan? I bet you would be really well received preaching Buddhist dharma there.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 02:01 AM
now that we have naive, uninformed and character bashing out of the way, for those that understand the concept of ch'an buddhism, how about a real informed objective opinion??

Ps: If everyone thought like the above, how do these countries ever develop, how do they bail themselves out of their national dilema and you all say you'd like to see world hunger and needless suffering end ha??

well good to know

Toby
09-03-2004, 02:10 AM
*Puts on uninformed 1st world hat*

I would think the most effective way to change a country like that would be at governmental level. Most seem to have very wealthy ruling classes that are the cause of hardship within their people. Unless you want to become a citizen and work your way up the ladder to president, IMO it's unrealistic to think that any number of aid organisations will be able to help much at all. The other option? Support a leader of another country that is willing to go in there and oust the current leadership. E.g. America.

BTW who said I'd "like to see world hunger and needless suffering end"? Not that I don't like the concept, but I don't recall saying it. E.g. some think that the Coalition in Iraq reduces needless suffering. OTOH I totally oppose the invasion of a sovereign country, regardless of the reason.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 02:28 AM
Bs. It all starts with education. Besides the government has only the funding is does, and I did here recently they've made huge ground there in Africa for agriculture recenetly and may experience their first surplus in the last 100 or so yrs.

Now they may have money to spend, they need to have the education to count it, and spend it in the most effective ways. They also ( now they'll be in the "world market") need language to negotiate effectively and so forth. Information about business, health, economy, language skills etc will be priceless there in yrs to come. If enough of us get out there, it will change futures, individual and societal.

Toby
09-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Uh, good luck. Do you know that Africa isn't a country? Anyway, your argument assumes the government is interested in helping their people and using any wealth generated for the good of their people. OTOH I did hear that they've made huge ground in agriculture in Zimbabwe. They have more land than ever before for the indigeneous population. Mugabe saw to that.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 02:45 AM
lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??

mickey
09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
Hi blooming lotus,

I am getting ready for work. I will be back to you later.

mickey

Serpent
09-03-2004, 04:38 AM
lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??
Are you serious?

bl, you could really help to end needless suffering? You know how? STOP POSTING ON THIS FORUM!

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 04:50 AM
I'm just looking over an email from a person already in Mozambique, and, to keep you current, already they have opened a sports school for orphans, conducting Aids outreach programmes, and opened training schools for future teachers, are providing aide to children, working agriculture / animal husbandry progammes, and opened construction, commerce and secretarial training centres, running academic and trade courses, even set up labs for research, established human rights tribunals and are in the process of demystifying the worlds' scientific phenomena.

did you know 2/3 of people in Nhamtanda are testing positive for aids or hiv . I do hear they watch alot of kungfu films though ( yaay :) :) it's not a class but it's on the right track :P) and yay again ...mud huts ( how do you suppose they get power in there???
:confused: )

All in all, buddhist contributor or not, these folks have a very unembelished lifestyle.

Ps: if you get a $ to contribute to the "save the children fund" know it'll be spent well ;) :D

cheers

Eddie
09-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi Blooming lotus.

“Have just chanced on an opportunity to take dharma and aide to Mozambique, Africa. Firstly, I heard someone mention ma in Africa a little while back. Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?”

Besides the national sport of stick fighting and lion hunting? How about stone throwing? Just kidding. Southern Africa is much more developed than you think. South Africa is very similar to Australia in many ways.

Mozambique is an old Portuguese colony. There was a war that lasted for a couple of decades, which left the land broken and very dead. The southern border of Mozambique is still loaded with land mines, which was planted there during these wars, and the UN has been busy for the last few years to try to clean up these mine fields. I once read a newspaper article about the amount of land mines in Mozambique, and it was shocking. They are still waiting for the Morocans to send the million monkeys to hunt for the landmines. Mozambique was once a thriving holiday destination. At the coast, its very topical with white beaches, clear sea, palms trees, banana trees and all those nice things. There aren’t many people around, and it hasn’t been much of a holiday destination anymore, but there are still some nice hotels and great places to go scuba diving.

“Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there?? I really don't know alot about the place, except the brief module I learnt in a history component at uni. “

There is a big branch of a Buddhist Temple down in South Africa called the Nan Hua Temple. You can do a search, I know they have a website, but I don’t have the address. Their Main Temple is in South Africa in a town call Bronkhostspruit, but they have smaller “ branches” in other places. They might have some places in Mozambique, but again, I don’t know. It’s a Taiwanese branch, funded by Taiwan.

“Ps: may not have much food, water and likely not a computer. Because of lack of facilities , if and when I leave, I doubt it's going to be pretty. If I go, I'll send you my best "ugly shot" me in shaolin greys under the kilimanjaro. ( is that near - by there?? ) you may get lucky and loose me afterall “

The water is not half as bad as the water in Asia, and it all depends on where you go. Kilimanjaro is by Kenya, very far from where you are going.

“Ps: If everyone thought like the above, how do these countries ever develop, how do they bail themselves out of their national dilema and you all say you'd like to see world hunger and needless suffering end ha??”

I am pretty sure that there are hungry people where you come from too. You know the saying, Charity begins at home, have you ever thought of helping out the people in your home town? Africa is Africa, and I guarantee you, you are in for the culture shock of your life. But then again, Africa is also different to the rest of the world. Somehow people manage to live past all of the suffering and make life bearable. Not all African countries are in National dilemmas you know. Mozambique has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Botswana is has one of the most stable economies on the continent and us down in South Africa has some of the most beautiful girls around (Charlese Theron is from Johannesburg).

“Bs. It all starts with education. Besides the government has only the funding is does, and I did here recently they've made huge ground there in Africa for agriculture recenetly and may experience their first surplus in the last 100 or so yrs.”

Im sure you are reading the wrong newspapers. Education and Poverty are the two most used words by politicians in any campaign down here.

“Now they may have money to spend, they need to have the education to count it, and spend it in the most effective ways. They also ( now they'll be in the "world market") need language to negotiate effectively and so forth. Information about business, health, economy, language skills etc will be priceless there in yrs to come. If enough of us get out there, it will change futures, individual and societal.”

Actually, there are more than enough languages over here. Do you know if you know French, English and Portuguese, you would be able to travel to just about any African country and be able to communicate to people.

Africa is not like what you see on the Tarzan TV shows or on CNN you know.

“lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??”
now how are going to help eradicate poverty if you don’t even know what a mugabe is? Oh well, let me try explain. A mugabe is something between a Bush and a Hoossein. A terrorist who owns a large part of the oil and diamond fields in Africa.
Anyways, here is a very big list of Martial arts down in Southern Africa. Go to www.martialarts.co.za and go the the links pages. You might be surprised how diverse Africa really is.

My suggestion? Why bother to come down here and help people you know absolutely nothing about. I mean, you don’t even know what a mugabe is, you obviously don’t know too much about the present political situations down in Africa. Africa has unique problems (I have said this many times) and it needs unique solutions. A Huge part of the problem is about clashes between different ethnic groups and races (even though you may think all Africans look the same, they have different cultures and backgrounds). By introducing a new, foreign religious philosophy don’t you think you are just adding fuel to the fire? I don’t know. Although your dreams are noble, I suggest you learn more about the places before you just believe all that you hear.

Tobi
“Places to go? Maybe buy a farm in Zimbabwe. Or I've heard Somalia is nice at this time of year.”

Don’t you know? You don’t even have to buy farms in Zim anymore. You just go and take one if you want. That is, if you fit the profile I mean.

I better go now, an elephant just trampled my rose garden outside, and it sounds like the baboons are in the kitchen again J (just kidding BL. You make it so easy for us)

Eddie
09-03-2004, 06:36 AM
did you know 2/3 of people in Nhamtanda are testing positive for aids or hiv . I do hear they watch alot of kungfu films though ( yaay it's not a class but it's on the right track :P) and yay again ...mud huts ( how do you suppose they get power in there???

you must be kidding me?? Mud huts? and you believe it? Yeah, in the rural villages people do stay in traditonal houses, but its not how you think.

I'll search for some pics and post them here. Might change your view on africa.

Eddie
09-03-2004, 06:56 AM
This is Mozambique
http://www.mozambiquetourism.co.za/maputodestinations.htm
http://www.u-can.co.za/
http://www.saplaces.co.za/
http://www.saplaces.co.za/mozambique.html

a typical Mosambique mud house
http://www.mozambiquetourism.co.za/images/cruisesbox.gif
http://www.mozambiquetourism.co.za/images/dolphintours2.jpg
http://www.mozambiquetourism.co.za/images/cardoso1.gif

here are some more pics of Africa’s mud houses
http://www.johannesburg-venues.co.za/
and another one
http://www.joburg.org.za/

a far cry from the what you expected isn’t it?

Eddie
09-03-2004, 06:58 AM
And finally, this is a mugabe.
http://www.metroweb.co.za/~leevit@metroweb/robert-mugabe-farm-zimbabwe.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rgmugabe2001/mugabe.jpg

see the resemblance to Hitler?

mickey
09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi blooming lotus,

Volunteer aide ventures are really exercises in transformational energy; in particular, how one engages his/her environment/community to make change or even to benefit form it. Oftentimes the mistake is made in that one feels that he/she has to go afar. For the best benefit, it should be done in that person's community.

Example to make change in the environment/community- tutoring.

Example to benefit from the environment- selling lemonade.

Example to combine both- Selling lemonade to purchase quality study materials for the Australian Aboriginal children.

mickey

mickey
09-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi again,

Another better example that combines both:

Selling lemonade from which the funds will go toward the development of a tutorial center or to improve the materials of a tutorial center already established.

You and your daughter can lead a group of children in her age group to achieve the objective.

mickey

cerebus
09-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Just do it bl! Those people need you (and we all know how you need to be needed). Yeah, maybe you won't be able to post on this forum anymore, but we'll try and find a way to overcome that loss. :p

What are you waiting for? I can hear the people crying for Buddhism and Dim Mak. Go bl, while you still can! You can make a difference!

PS: My sincere apologies to the people of Africa.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 08:19 PM
that last statement is unfair. Regardless of what they do or don't have tech / and internatonal business / trade wise already, even hearing us speak english and observing our cultural influences helps in ways you may not recognise. I understand you are being faciscist, but every one has two hands,two feet and a perspective , gained through living in society different and more prosperous to their own and another, and if nothing else, that's a gift in such a place.

Preppping for hardship, and too deep to do return troll... do you do "rise above"???? can you think for mankind for a mo, and get head outta your as*??? The world is suffering, and emotive end it may seem, I have a chance to not only contribute to ecomnomy there, but more and on so many levels.... I can give them a perspective on peace... How invaluable is that??? In a place where mankind has browner skin and less $$ , rescources, education and opportunity, together these crews can change lives and maybe with more volunteers likeourselves , whole states / provinces and countries. Sorry dude, guess I'm just too real today too be cool.

so baaack to reality ..............

Ps: I'll sincerely miss you all too, but duty calls, and I have some weeks, so don't forget me okay. If you're still here when I come back , I'll give you all the brief. Dirty job, but someone's gotta do it ;) :( :D :cool: :)

cerebus
09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm guessing that the thing you're accusing me of being is "fascist". You obviously don't know what that even means. You've apparently heard it used as an insult, so you figure it's just a "bad thing" to call people. Funny thing is, in Italy the Fascist party is just one of the many accepted political parties. But then, you don't even know what a fascist is, so I guess that point is wasted on you.

Anyway, if the martyrdom gets any thicker around here we'll all drown in it! :p Okay, we get the point, you're Mother freakin' Theresa! :rolleyes:

Just don't try teaching them English. I'm sure they already have enough troubles. Bye bye. Don't rush back now, those people need you. (My apologies again to the African people, but it's either you or us! :p ).

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Fascist is a derivative of farse. to make fun of / be sacrastic towards etc.

What I'm saying is that I know this is fun for you, I'm just living a life and BL is a great source of entertainment. NO??? :) :(

I don't claim to be mother theresa, she's a one off!!! ( besides , I'm buddihist and she was catholic right??) I'm a chick sincerely wanting to pulling her weight in the world community after leeching humanity for as far as I have gotten to date. Sometimes I'm even funny to myself.

Yah.

LOL , BL the big superstar rich and glam teacher extroridinaire.........but some folks need help and I wanna go and contribute what I can ( no matter how little , it's more than they had a moment ago) . Can you feel that shyte???

What ever you do, pls don't think I'm spesh or that I even think I am ........I have some western knowledge and that alone is cause to bring insight and development to their whole community ...do you understand how that works??? Nothing spesh about me... just a new perspective they could consider at min..........

Ps: my uni students: still think my classess are spesh?AND I'M SOME GLAM / SUPERSTAR SAVIOUR TO THEIR RACE???:confused: they are easy to pls no???

These folks ask for so little , will it really kill us to give them 1/2 a yr of our 100 we're hoping to pull ( :) :P ) ish????

cerebus
09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Uh huh. That's what I thought. Here ya' go, and if you don't believe me, just look it up for yourself (though I doubt you will): A fascist is a person subscribing to the right-wing authoritarian views espoused by the Fascist political party. This political party was one of a body of Italian nationalists organized in 1919 to oppose communism. As the Partito Nazionale Fascista, lead by Benito Mussolini, it controlled Italy from 1922 to 1943.

What you seem to have wanted to say was "facetious", which, as you can see, is something else entirely.

You're welcome.

cerebus
09-03-2004, 10:11 PM
And just so you don't make a REALLY stupid error like that again, you should realize that some people equate fascism with nazism since Mussolini was basically Hitler's puppet dictator for Italy. Be careful who you refer to as a "nazi" or "fascist", they might go apesh!t on you.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 10:18 PM
no no no.. I know a fascist when i hear one!!! kind of need to deal with a a fully developing incest victim - colleague from childhood days ( from his very own mommy would you believe???!!) right now, and he's becomming violent, so love to chat , but the guy needs my consideration for a mo.

BL , real style - China . ;) :) :(

cerebus
09-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Never one to admit she was wrong! :D Typical BS from bl. :rolleyes:

Serpent
09-03-2004, 10:39 PM
bl, did you even read Eddie's posts?

And you have no idea what a fascist is.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Oh hush.. folks have even quoted me saying I was I wrong!! I have no issue with that, but apparently you want to test me for perfection... I'll tell you blank I aint!!! Seriously dealing with a crazy " my mommy focked me for x many yrs " coleague turned violent mofo dude so today you matter little..........

cerebus
09-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh shut the fock up with your lying-ass bullsh!t! You're ALWAYS "dealing" with violent colleagues who were childhood incest victims!! Is that the only type of person in the entire friggin school?! You're so full of crap!

And you sure as sh!t don't need to tell US you're not perfect. We've been vainly trying to get that through YOUR skull for months now!

So you know bl, the only person here who REALLY doesn't matter (at all) is you. You make me sick.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm glad ,because maybe you'll purge your dirty qi!!!

the last violent colleage I met was hung up on hooking up with a chick 20 yrs younger and I wanted to know why he thought it was okay. This time I had colleagues comming to back me up from every where. I know you couldn't possibley understand, so I'm going to let it drop... Pitty on you for being so closed minded to human experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you don't make sick, just sad and a little reflective!

cerebus
09-03-2004, 11:00 PM
You're a real sorry excuse for a human being. Always parading around with the "I'm so righteous, giving & self-sacrificing" ( and making REAL sure that EVERYBODY hears about it). Lying your azz off and then saying you "never" lie (and getting busted for it when Serpent exposed you for it). Always coming up with some "emergency" you need to attend to when you've been proven wrong and can't handle the truth. You've never "counseled" anyone in your life, you have no qualifications for it. All you can do is live in your little fantasy world telling yourself that you're so special rather than actually making any effort to achieve anything. And THAT, bl, is truly sad.

blooming lotus
09-03-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm not so righteous ( even though buddihist beliefs claim you shuld be- but no -one's perfect)

I just want some trade off chan insights to my potential course of action. as in " I don't know" Please share your wisdom!! I'm a spiritual chick and this was means for a REAL disscussion on responsiblity insight. gee you are crude!!!!! Gawd some people are hung up on the wrong things!!!!!!!!!!!

:( Long live buddhism or insight on ANY measure!!!!!

Serpent
09-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh hush.. folks have even quoted me saying I was I wrong!! I have no issue with that, but apparently you want to test me for perfection... I'll tell you blank I aint!!! Seriously dealing with a crazy " my mommy focked me for x many yrs " coleague turned violent mofo dude so today you matter little.......... So why are you posting here? Shouldn't you be busy saving his life?

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 12:31 AM
His life ???no!! If it was only one life I had in mind , it'd be my kids' without comprimise, hence the thread.

Can we get serious on even 1 thread about ch'an and beliefs etcwithout trolls stoppping in for their hellos and 20c worth ????

Really, only wanna talk dharma here, the rest, I'm sorry, thought prevocting as it may be, 'fraid I'll have to ignore it . Can you think of anything "real" to contribute???

Serpent
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
What, real like you taking Buddhism to Africa?

Real like "what's a mugabe?"

Real like "is Kilimanjaro near there?"

You wouldn't know real if it broke into your padded cell and started gnawing at the buckles on your straight-jacket.

mickey
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
blooming lotus,

Did you see my response? It is more on topic.

mickey

Toby
09-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Fascist is a derivative of farse. to make fun of / be sacrastic towards etc.Huh? :confused: Not in my language.

Eddie
09-04-2004, 02:11 AM
BL,
Go back to page 1 and read my post. I live in Africa, born and raised here, and have been to the Southern African republics (Mos, Zim, etc). There are parts that looks like what you described, but its not what you think its like. Even in my city, Johannesburg, which is probably the most modern city in the Southern African region, we have places like what you describe.

Your intentions seems noble, but you should try do your homework before you embark on something like this. I’ll say it again, Africa IS NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT. One of my friends (and he is a descendent of the Swazi Royal family – Swaziland is also a little country in South Africa) always says, “ Never try to understand Africa, just accept it for what it is”.

After 30 years down here, I am still not able to accept or understand much of what I see, but then again, it is not for me to understand.

You seem to have this idea that we all speak in some weird native language. You would be surprised to know, that most Africans and Native Africans (Black people as some call them) speak more than 6 different languages. Not just different dialects, completely different languages (Zulu, Xhosa, Phedi, Portugese, French, English, Afrikaans, and much more). This does show that they (im speaking in the 3rd person) are not stupid native tribal people as CNN may want you to think.

You are most welcome to visit us before you go to Mozambique.

And Fascism has nothing to do with Farse or Silly people.

To be honest, the best Dharma should be to go where you know the people and culture. How can you come and try teach someone something if you don’t know anything about their background or way of living? I also think you have a bigger responsibility to your child.

If you really want to help, choose a good charity, and send them some of your $’s.

I don’t mean to rude or anything, but I think you are very un informed.

Toby
09-04-2004, 02:40 AM
If it was only one life I had in mind , it'd be my kids' without comprimise, hence the thread.Kids'? Your apostrophe usage indicates you have more than one :confused:. I thought Ally was an only child? The sad thing for Ally is there is always "comprimise" for you. Everyone and everything else is more important than her needs. If you really did love her and weren't a raving lunatic, you'd sit down and relax for a minute and think. Think quietly about what would benefit her the most. Could it be a stable mother who lives with and looks after her? Or only in not this but the next 3 lives? Really, if you were a good mother, this thread would be sooo irrelevant. There shouldn't even be any question ...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Firstly I mediate and take contemplation time daily if not more I often. I am acutely aware of my actions, repercussions and what drives those actions. Ally loves me even more for the fact that she has this great mommy out there doing things to help less fortunate people. This is not making her suffer but contrary if anything.

Eddie : you are right. The only thing I know about Africa is the little I picked up in a history component of a communication and english at uni and what I have been sent from other folks already there. I know at this particular place, in the township only 1 teacher has a degree and they have very poor facilities and budgetary rescource. People are sick and education is sorely lacking. If nothing else, I have 2 hands and song for suffering children I can controbute. Hey, I'll even do it in english so they learn that too. Perhaps in Joberge you are amongst the more priviledged. It's not like that everywhere and I think you underestimate the power of a good heart.

Mickey : you mean the one where you had to leave for work??

Ps: fascism :- relating to reaction / dictatorialism

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by mickey
Hi blooming lotus,

For the best benefit, it should be done in that person's community.

mickey

and if your community is the global one??

Ps:: have contributed somewhat to many Aboriginals at home by education, friendship and support. Does that cover me there do you think??

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by mickey
Hi again,

Another better example that combines both:

Selling lemonade from which the funds will go toward the development of a tutorial center or to improve the materials of a tutorial center already established.

You and your daughter can lead a group of children in her age group to achieve the objective.

mickey

My daughter already contributes to all those around her less fortunate and I would never dictate nor project my spiritual obligations onto her. This is about me and my beliefs. She is a good girl and will no doubt do what she sees fit and appropriate.

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Eddie
[B]Hi Blooming lotus.

. The southern border of Mozambique is still loaded with land mines, which was planted there during these wars, and the UN has been busy for the last few years to try to clean up these mine fields.

and where do you think the man power for these things come from?? There are real people out there doing this.

“Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there?? I really don't know alot about the place, except the brief module I learnt in a history component at uni. ?

There is a big branch of a Buddhist Temple down in South Africa called the Nan Hua Temple. You can do a search, I know they have a website, but I don’t have the address. Their Main Temple is in South Africa in a town call Bronkhostspruit, but they have smaller ?branches?in other places. They might have some places in Mozambique, but again, I don’t know. It’s a Taiwanese branch, funded by Taiwan.

then we're off to a good start already

“Ps: may not have much food, water and likely not a computer. Because of lack of facilities , if and when I leave, I doubt it's going to be pretty. If I go, I'll send you my best "ugly shot" me in shaolin greys under the kilimanjaro. ( is that near - by there?? ) you may get lucky and loose me afterall ?

The water is not half as bad as the water in Asia, and it all depends on where you go. Kilimanjaro is by Kenya, very far from where you are going.

hmmm......

“Ps: If everyone thought like the above, how do these countries ever develop, how do they bail themselves out of their national dilema and you all say you'd like to see world hunger and needless suffering end ha???

I am pretty sure that there are hungry people where you come from too. You know the saying, Charity begins at home, have you ever thought of helping out the people in your home town? Africa is Africa, and I guarantee you, you are in for the culture shock of your life. But then again, Africa is also different to the rest of the world. Somehow people manage to live past all of the suffering and make life bearable. Not all African countries are in National dilemmas you know. Mozambique has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Botswana is has one of the most stable economies on the continent and us down in South Africa has some of the most beautiful girls around (Charlese Theron is from Johannesburg).

I have done SOO much community work at home, I decided it was time to take it where need is greater and assistance is less available.

“Bs. It all starts with education. Besides the government has only the funding is does, and I did here recently they've made huge ground there in Africa for agriculture recenetly and may experience their first surplus in the last 100 or so yrs.?

Im sure you are reading the wrong newspapers. Education and Poverty are the two most used words by politicians in any campaign down here.

That is an unfair statement. Africa has been a third world nation for a very long time and has been begging the world to help for almost as long. Perhaps you are amongst the more fortunate, but to call yours a national standard is just not accurate.

“Now they may have money to spend, they need to have the education to count it, and spend it in the most effective ways. They also ( now they'll be in the "world market") need language to negotiate effectively and so forth. Information about business, health, economy, language skills etc will be priceless there in yrs to come. If enough of us get out there, it will change futures, individual and societal.?

Actually, there are more than enough languages over here. Do you know if you know French, English and Portuguese, you would be able to travel to just about any African country and be able to communicate to people.

Africa is not like what you see on the Tarzan TV shows or on CNN you know.

nor what I read at uni nor see daily on aide bid broadcasts??

“lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say???
now how are going to help eradicate poverty if you don’t even know what a mugabe is? Oh well, let me try explain. A mugabe is something between a Bush and a Hoossein. A terrorist who owns a large part of the oil and diamond fields in Africa.
Anyways, here is a very big list of Martial arts down in Southern Africa. Go to www.martialarts.co.za and go the the links pages. You might be surprised how diverse Africa really is.

My suggestion? Why bother to come down here and help people you know absolutely nothing about. I mean, you don’t even know what a mugabe is, you obviously don’t know too much about the present political situations down in Africa. Africa has unique problems (I have said this many times) and it needs unique solutions. A Huge part of the problem is about clashes between different ethnic groups and races (even though you may think all Africans look the same, they have different cultures and backgrounds). By introducing a new, foreign religious philosophy don’t you think you are just adding fuel to the fire? I don’t know. Although your dreams are noble, I suggest you learn more about the places before you just believe all that you hear.

Tobi
“Places to go? Maybe buy a farm in Zimbabwe. Or I've heard Somalia is nice at this time of year.?

Don’t you know? You don’t even have to buy farms in Zim anymore. You just go and take one if you want. That is, if you fit the profile I mean.

I better go now, an elephant just trampled my rose garden outside, and it sounds like the baboons are in the kitchen again J (just kidding BL. You make it so easy for us) [/B[

so now we should only assist those we have personal profiles on ha?? Well lucky myself and my sister sponsor a few kids in poverty there and have something to work with. :rolleyes:

but then , to agree I should go, would be toaccept some onus of same for your own lives. Forget I mentioned it.

Alone we come, alone we procede, and alone we check out.

cerebus
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Don't listen to any naysayers bl. We're behind you all the way. Go! Go to Africa! Help the people. Even if that means we'll have to do without your usual presence on the internet 23.5 hours every day, still we'll do what we must to get by. You must save the people of Africa bl, it is your destiny!

Serpent
09-04-2004, 06:03 PM
bl, are you really admitting that your only knowledge of Africa comes from a single uni history unit, and then, in the same post, trying to tell Eddie (an African that lives in Africa) that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

cerebus
09-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Hows that different from any other subject she blathers on about? :confused: :p

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
bl, are you really admitting that your only knowledge of Africa comes from a single uni history unit, and then, in the same post, trying to tell Eddie (an African that lives in Africa) that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Yah.. but I do get the news occassionally., I subscribe to world vision and I see the need. Johannasberge is the capital ( as in Eddies' home town ) and they are ovbiously more facilitated. I alaso have been in touch via e-mail with other volunteers who are there already, and they swear there's need. I don't know. I don't feel I should need to justify my well - intentioned persuits this way, but speaking dharma and how heavy it's become to-froing this way, I think I just want to go home. Maybe I'll do more after I get my mba. Cambodia / mexico is looking good for the future. Thx anyway folks. Just not what I was looking for. Where are all the ch'an buddhists on this forum anyway??? Speak now or forever hold your peace ;) :cool: :)

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Eddie
[

I also think you have a bigger responsibility to your child.

If you really want to help, choose a good charity, and send them some of your $’s.

I don’t mean to rude or anything, but I think you are very un informed. [/B]

Eddie, how you can say this then pm me officially "inviting " me to visit your town and school is beyond me :rolleyes:

make up your mind ha.

Ps: do many folk you invite with that attitude actually show up???

cerebus
09-04-2004, 08:10 PM
After you get your mba? Do you know what an MBA is?

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Medical bachelor. I will be a docotor of both eastern and western medicine, have my own practice and gym within 10. Laugh and jeer, but don't come to me when you have a complaint.

cerebus
09-04-2004, 08:46 PM
In most colleges MBA means Masters of Business Administration. Somehow though, you think you'll be a qualified medical practitioner with only a bachelor's degree? :confused:

"don't come to me when you have a complaint." And what, pray tell, would possibly have given you the idea that I would EVER do such a thing? :confused:

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 09:40 PM
does the term "mediacl bachelor " mean anything?? You know I'm persuing phds left right and centre so call what ever what you will. You're still an over - zealous uniformed judgmental lout to the real population ......

and about africa??? do you have a comment to contribute, or are you just looking for an outlet???

cerebus
09-04-2004, 10:01 PM
No, actually the word "mediacal" doesn't mean anything at all. Is it supposed to? :confused:

And, no, I don't "know" that you're persuing PhDs "left right and centre". I do know that you are making false claims to that effect though.

And about Africa, I guess you haven't even seen my other posts, so I'll re-iterate: Go! Africa NEEDS you! We'll muddle along as best we can without you. Now get outta here and stop wasting our time!

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 10:03 PM
:rolleyes:

wasting YOU'RE time!! your the jerk who keeps requesting my attention via bs posts. Get a mofreakin life...for gads sake!!!

Brad
09-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Medical Bachelor? Do you mean Bachelor's of Medical Science?(BMSc... defenitely not MBA).

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 10:10 PM
that's the one !!! ;) :o :) :p

one letter off....

close enough though........ I('ll read back what my cert says on receival
:D :rolleyes: :cool:

cerebus
09-04-2004, 10:14 PM
ROFLMFAO!!! What a moron! What a loon! :p :p :p

She's so ignorant and uneducated she can't even lie properly!

Here's bl: "Uh... yup, Imma git me sum kinder degree frum a skool, cuz I'm jest a hole bunch smarter then yoo stoopids...duh"

blooming lotus
09-04-2004, 10:38 PM

cerebus
09-04-2004, 10:42 PM
LOL! I caught her on that one! I was just too accurate & hit a little too close to home. She can't even think of anything to say! :p :p :p :p ROFLMAO!!

Serpent
09-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Brad
Medical Bachelor? Do you mean Bachelor's of Medical Science?(BMSc... defenitely not MBA).

blooming lotus
that's the one !!!

one letter off....

close enough though........

A terrifying insight into the working's of bl's mind!

:eek:

:D

Serpent
09-05-2004, 06:05 PM
And you're running away from this thread too, eh, bl?

Stick your fingers in your ears and shout, "Blah, blah, blah. I Caaaaan't Heeaar Yoouuuu!"

Toby
09-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Johannasberge is the capital ...Uhh, I asked before but I'll ask again - you do know that Africa isn't a country, right? Do you know what "Johannasberge" (sic) is the capital of? Here's a major hint - do you know the capital(s) of South Africa?

blooming lotus
09-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Cerbus : I had to eat.!!!!!

Serpent : I don't care. You all sucked the life out of it, and couple that with the hardship I'd have to undergo ...,I'm just taking my bat and my ball and heading for home. And when you do you pull into Africa to lend a hand yourself Serpent??

Toby : - Hmmm . don't understand???

cerebus
09-05-2004, 07:49 PM
What a loon! :p :p

Toby
09-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Toby : - Hmmm . don't understand??? Don't understand what? Africa is not a country. Jo-burg is not the capital of any country, let alone "Africa". When you say "I'm going to Africa to help the underprivileged", you might as well say "I'm going to Asia to help the underprivileged". It's very non-specific. Are you going to Egypt, or South Africa? Very different places. Are you going to Korea, or Sri Lanka? Get it?

cerebus
09-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Exactly! That's just what she doesn't understand. :D :D :D

blooming lotus
09-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Don't understand what? Africa is not a country. Jo-burg is not the capital of any country, let alone "Africa". When you say "I'm going to Africa to help the underprivileged", you might as well say "I'm going to Asia to help the underprivileged". It's very non-specific. Are you going to Egypt, or South Africa? Very different places. Are you going to Korea, or Sri Lanka? Get it?

Cerebus : - you're hurting me

Toby:- spat yon dummy and going home , as in Australia to find the phd in hm then medicine. Ps: - don't care how you spell the qual, It's what I plan to obtain.

cerebus
09-05-2004, 09:38 PM
"I don't care how you spell the qual, it's what I plan to obtain."

Sounds like:

"Yeah, Imma git me one a them there..... whatever it was he called it. Than Imma be a dokter & do a buncha dokterin."

:p

blooming lotus
09-05-2004, 09:45 PM
lol. .... now you're feeling it, ( even if my typing is no true representation of my real life knoweledge and language skill ) ... ps: can you believe in a previous life I was a pa / secretary??!!:eek: :D :rolleyes: :)

cerebus
09-05-2004, 09:51 PM
With your credibility being as low as it is, it's hard to believe ANYTHING you say.

Toby
09-05-2004, 09:54 PM
You're going to struggle to finish anything if a couple of days of internet discussion is enough to make you spit the dummy over a random argument.

Eddie
09-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Blooming Lotus.

You know noting of Africa nor of Johannesburg. Then again, you know nothing of my life and how we as Africans live down here. Also, Africa is a continent, and not country. I am starting to get the feeling that your post is one big hoaxes, and that you only want people to think you want to help people in Africa. If your intentions are really honest, then I think you are going about it in a very incorrect manner.

Why am I inviting you to come down here before you embark on your journey to eradicate poverty and world hunger? The answer is Simple. I know what I am talking about, and I might be able to make you see the real truth about our parts of the woods. I have lived in and experienced the cultures of this place.

This argument is going no-where. My last thoughts on this topic…

Leave Africa and her people alone. We need to sort out our own problems, and we need to learn in the process of doing so. We have ENOUGH people with suitable qualifications to do this work. Reform, Aid and upliftment should come from with in. IF NOT, THEN YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS ALL OVER AGAIN. Let me explain a little clearer. As with every place in the world, people within nations have different political views. By nature, people want to be in control of their own destiny. They want to be the boss of their own country. The very same people whom you think you help, will eventually turn around and reject you, just as they have done in the past. Maybe we could discuss this on another forum at another time, cause I don’t think we should go into politics now, as we might offend many people by doing so.

Let us (Africans) sort out our own problems, as we have done so for the last few decades. South Africa is a very good example. Ten years back, we had many different opposing political forces who worked against each other. It was bad. Really bad. We were on the brink of civil war. Our president then, took matters to the people, and he did it in such a way, that we changed the nations thoughts without having to go to war. It wasn’t easy, but we did it our way. We did not rely on help from abroad. I think if we did get help from abroad, we would have not been able to achieve what we did today. This very same rule can apply to foreign medical or social aide. Mozambique is one of the countries in Africa with the fastest growing economy. They are able to take care of themselves, and they should rightfully do so.

I hope I am not offending you with this next statement, but I will say it anyways. Africa don’t want your religion. We have our own. We don’t want your language, we have our own. We don’t want your educational beliefs and social cultures. We have our own. The people of Africa is able to bring change to their own lands, and they should do it. Do we need foreign aide workers to help? Yes, we can probably do with your help. But, we need to do it ourselves to really make it work. Are we intellectually and socially inferior to the rest of the world? No ways.

I really suggest you do a thorough study on Africa, its people, its cultures and politics and of the causes of most of the wars and conflicts in history.

If you still want to come down here to help, then just know that not everyone would want your help. People might not be as grateful as you expect. And very important, be careful. Once again, the cultures down here can be cruel. You might note like and will probably never accept anything they do down here.

I am still inviting you to visit us before you go to Mozambique. For the mere reason that I can at least brief you on some of the cultures of our great continent (it has nothing to do with the fact that you said you used to be a super model stripper – but who knows, maybe subconsciously … :) just kidding).

And by the way, down here a MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. It has very little to do with medical science or anything related.

Then again, if you really want to help, join Bono, Dave Mathews, and many others here www.46664.com .

For now.
Eddie

blooming lotus
09-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Toby
You're going to struggle to finish anything if a couple of days of internet discussion is enough to make you spit the dummy over a random argument.

:confused:

and as for you Cerebus, I don't know why I even return your comments. Speaking of low credibilty...:rolleyes:

Eddie: got 2 lines into your post and became bored. As I said, all I know is what my friend told me who has been working there and what I have heard on the news and read in uni.

I'm sorry, but after your comment reiterating the suggestion to move so far far away , then a pm receipt from yourself moments later inviting me to come visit your town and your school, I don't particularly find the appeal. The whole mission has become a drama so, like I said, I'll just head home and get back to some lil luxuries, one of which is study.

Peace and good luck out there.

BL

Serpent
09-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Eddie, I read your post and I congratulate you on taking the time to be open and honest and in your effort to educate bl on something else that she knows jack sh!t about. The fact that she "became bored" after two lines is proof that she simply has no desire to learn and there's very little point in trying to help her.

And bl, cerebus has more credibility in his little finger than you will ever have.

BTW, Eddie - you obviously haven't seen the photo of bl. Don't get sucked in by her claim that she was a model. Only she would believe it.

Eddie
09-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Blooming lotus.
as i said before, Im inviting you to visit us so that I can show you what our place is really like, but you obviously dont really care. I feel strong about certain political issues, and often may come accross slightly agressive. For this I appologise. My family has received and hosted many visitors from abroad, and they love doing this, so this invite is still standing. If you really want to experience Africa, then give me a call. I am always willing to help. You would be surprised how nice people, Africans really are.

Serpent,
thanks for the post. We have a very unique situation in SA and Africa, and we seemed to have dealt with it the right way. Things have become so much better the last 10 years, and africa is going through a total renaissance period. If only mogabe could... never mind, this forum is also read by children.

You mean blooming lotus wasnt really a stripper? oh. ah well, one could only have hoped :)

Serpent
09-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Well, she claims to have been a stripper, but she's the sort of stripper you would pay to make her put her clothes back on. ;)

Your passion for your country is commendable. Don't let bl come over there and mess things up again!

joedoe
09-06-2004, 04:14 PM
BL, I try not to be antagonistic towards you, however how do you expect to achieve a medical degree if you get bored after reading 2 lines on an internet forum? Eddie took the time to write a very informative message about life in an African nation and this bores you? My advice is that if you want to earn a medical degree, let alone any degree, then you have to learn to read and learn about stuff even if it bores you.

Eddie, if I had the time and money I would take you up on your offer :). My wife lived for 10 months in Kenya as a child and she has some fond memories along with some scary ones. Yet she tells me that there is an amazingly primal feeling in some parts of Africa that has to be experienced, so one day hopefully we will make the trip.

blooming lotus
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I guess you missed the part how he posted some wise-crack earlier, and to be honest, anyone who speaks to me like that, will get little of private time or attention, especially when it proceeds an invite.

As I said Eddie, No longer interested. Going home as soon the heck as I can manage it.

cheers.

on the rest : believe what you choose. Don't particularly care.

PPS: Serpent: I could've sworn you were going to turn out to be a mature and decent person. Guess everyone's got to be wrong sometime. :cool: :rolleyes:

Serpent
09-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, you're wrong with everything else you say, so why break a golden run?

blooming lotus
09-06-2004, 10:05 PM
another valuable post:rolleyes:

Do you even remember what we are talking about ???

Didn't think so .

Serpent
09-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Well, we were talking about how come you know nothing of Africa, yet you still want to go there and take buddhism and ma to the ignorant masses there.

Eddie was talking about how you know nothing about Africa and he was trying to educate you with some very informative posts.

You were complaining that you were bored after two lines and then decided that your goldfish attention span had once again been exceeded.

Do you ever know what you're talking about?

cerebus
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Wellll.... she probably WAS a stripper, but that doesn't mean she's attractive (just that SHE thinks she is, and some place was hard-up enough to hire her).

Of course this whole thread was just another one of her ego-boosting attempts to show everyone what a wonderful person she is (while her continuous blather proves otherwise).... sigh :rolleyes: .

Eddie
09-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Ok,
What was meant to be a serious post, ended up as being yet another silly threat. Blooming lotus, you asked the question if we think that you should come to Africa to spread the Dharma. I replied with my honest feelings on the matter. You turned it all into something very silly, and frankly, I don’t want to be part of this. Its an insult to the millions of intelligent people who live in Africa. As I said before, you know nothing of how people live down here, and you have no right to hijack this post for your own gain.

Come to think of it, I doubt that you really wanted to come to Africa in the first place. You probably didn’t realise there are other Africans on this forum who might read the posts.

Once again, if your intentions were really honest, then only you should know how to spread the real Dharma. Charity begins at home. You owe it you your own children.
Ed

blooming lotus
09-07-2004, 01:46 AM
You replied with honest feelings but also smartas*ery. When I have my heart on my sleeve, I just don't want to deal with it. Can you dig that??

Have no right to hijack your post Eddie ?? Mate, it's my thread, don't like it don't post here!!.... mmkay.

Let's recap. Had plans to go home to complete ch'an dissertation for phd, got a shout out to lend a hand ( for no pay ) to a place I know nothing about ( Africa) , nor at present find attractive, yet where I'm assured my skills and support would be valuable and so wanted a spiritual take on it from a like minded / beliefed person. Then you all jumped on my back.. Had just a *****y time with a mental pscyopathic colleague I was a sounding board for, said goodbye to this beautiful guy I'd like to 've seen more of, and felt a little whatever.
I don't often change my mind once I've made it and I am glad you don't want me there, because I said I'm not comming.

End of story. Use this thread for what you want or let it die peacefully. It served it purpose.

Ps: thx for the link/s.

BL

Toby
09-07-2004, 01:53 AM
... comming ...You still haven't learnt? :rolleyes:

blooming lotus
09-07-2004, 01:55 AM
I gave you that link too. Or maybe I just found it and by then'd given up. :rolleyes: :p

cerebus
09-07-2004, 01:57 AM
She never will.

Nor will she ever stop being a drama queen. :rolleyes:

Toby
09-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Oh, so you're trying to say now that "comming" is a word? I've gotta give it to you, you've trolled me good Eyebrows.

Serpent
09-07-2004, 02:37 AM
I gave you that link too. Or maybe I just found it and by then'd given up. :rolleyes: :p
There was no link, because comming is not a word.

As for not changing your mind often, how many options have you talked about so far?! Japan for Judo, Africa for Buddhism, various studies (wing chun, sports, medical degree) in various places in Australia. You change your mind more often than your underwear.

blooming lotus
09-07-2004, 02:52 AM
I was always studying to intsruct while I learnt medicine, Japan or Taiwan were tentative stops on the way home, Africa was a request and now I'm just going home.

cerebus
09-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately, she's still remaining on the forum.:rolleyes:

That's right michelle, we truly NEED your lies and bullsh!t. No one here can live without your deeply warped and badly flawed views on everything from English to physiology, to just how great you are in every way (did you guys know she's a "genuise"? Oooo aaaaah).:rolleyes:

Toby
09-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
You change your mind more often than your underwear. Ewww :eek:. Lucky she changes her mind often. Although she's been stuck on this grammar troll for a while - ewww.

blooming lotus
09-07-2004, 10:33 PM
who's stuck on the troll??? :rolleyes:

too pis*ed to care...

Brad
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Why isn't this thread locked yet? :D

blooming lotus
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
give it a rest ha??!! cause shoe on the other foot ..........:rolleyes:

bl

Eddie
09-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Blooming lotus,
I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. Here is that site on Buddhism in Africa, as I told you before. http://www.nanhua.co.za/ . This one is for the African seminary http://www.nanhua.co.za/fgsabs/

Ed

Brad
09-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Shoe on other foot? :confused:

blooming lotus
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Eddie,

I'm glad you have buddhism at home and your country is moving along nicely. I'm flying home tommorow, so point taken. Let it drop now ha.

Eddie
09-09-2004, 09:24 AM
just wanted to be nice to you blooming lotus. thought you'd find it interesting.

I left this issue long agao, when I realised you were faking the whole lot.

Eddie

Laviathan
09-09-2004, 09:52 AM
even hearing us speak english and observing our cultural influences helps in ways you may not recognise

I have some western knowledge and that alone is cause to bring insight and development to their whole community

Sorry to say so, but you're a very sad person, in my humble opinion.

Do you really think the people in Africa are waiting for your "western knowledge and English blabla" with anticipation? What cultural influences would you like to "introduce"? McDonald Burgers? Hello! Like they are hoping you could enlighten them with your Buddhist philosophy? Come on.

I don't care if you're a silly hippy... But please don't be a pretentious hippy, trying to indulge yourself in self-importance.

If you really want to help the world, start at your own community. Raise your daughter to become a good decent person. Help the poor and disabled in your neighbourhood. Raise funds for child education.

But going to Africa for some "spiritual quest" is just a lame attempt to make yourself feel better. Do you really think you can help the African citizens by "talking English, singing songs and Buddhist prayers"? Give me a break.

blooming lotus
09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
and nothing to do with International bus. and subsequent jargon right?? :rolleyes:

what ever

Serpent
09-11-2004, 02:16 AM
English, please?

cerebus
09-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Serp, you're asking bl for English?? :confused:

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Eddie,

Africa is a big place, I'm sure Buddah or some of his followers made a point to spread their faith to that part of the world. I'm happy that you have Buddism in your country, that's really nice.

Don't misunderstand Blooming lotus, she is a very nice person, I have talked to her on a number of occassions. I think you just caught her at the time when she does her meditation.

Serpent
09-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
I think you just caught her at the time when she does her meditation.
I think you mean medication.

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 08:02 PM
you guys are soo silly!! My daughter is an awesome chick ( for all of her 10 and some yrs) and together our "sangha " or community contribution is above and beyond duty.

you'll never understand and i'll never explain.

peace everyone. :) :cool:

B

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Serpent,

Why are you so mean to Blooming Lotus? She can't constantly deserve being put down by a bunch of guys.

blooming lotus,

I speak on behalf of some of the guys here who have PMed me asking for your apology but do not have the guts to ask you in person. It's true that they don't fully understand, being guys, we are less perceptive then girls, I know this is no excuse, but please accept the apology from some of them.

Somethings shared between mother and daughter are best kept that way. Hopefully when more of us are willing to listen, you too might be more comfortable in sharing.

Toby
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Ego's trying to pick up Eyebrows! :eek:

Ego, if you knew Eyebrows' story, she's abandoned her child to fulfil her own life. The daughter conflicts with her plans to study MA, so the daughter gets raised by family while Eyebrows flits from one hobby to another.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Toby,

Who is Eyebrows? You keep using that name as though I know her.

There was a movie a Beautiful Mind, where this maths dude has a split personality and sees imaginary friends. Fortunately this matter of mental instability is more than compensated by his raw genius and good heart.

However, on this forum, you have only shown that you have imaginary friends....... that's all.

norther practitioner
09-16-2004, 04:19 AM
reading comp 101..

eyebrows is a nickname...

genius....

Say hello to my little friend..... ignore.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-16-2004, 06:58 AM
norther practitioner,

Most of us use nicknames and I think yours is missing an "n".

blooming lotus
09-16-2004, 09:57 PM
hey ........ the n p is okay okay??!! goes about his business and lil trouble to most............

had a great response prepared but lost network.......... another time ha.............

B ;) :)

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-17-2004, 06:02 AM
You're fortunate to have gone this far. The internet connection is v.bad in China - or so i've heard. Maybe it's better at the universities.

I'll let you know if I decide to do a China trip thing, meet up with some of the masters there. But remind me to ask you for the good places for good internet connection. I'm quite a net junky - the least of all my vices ..... as you know :)

blooming lotus
09-17-2004, 06:05 AM
;) no drama

GeneChing
08-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Monks attend buddhist ritual at Shaolin Temple (http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/0814/c90882-9099888.html)
(Xinhua) 14:14, August 14, 2016

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/20160814/67/5348681553886787895.jpg
Monks transfer lotus-pattern lamps during a buddhist ritual at the Shaolin Temple on the Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City, central China's Henan Province, Aug. 13, 2016.

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/20160814/63/14800505712242221879.jpg
Monks carrying lotus-pattern lamps attend a buddhist ritual at the Shaolin Temple on the Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City, central China's Henan Province, Aug. 13, 2016.

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/20160814/56/16864134233155690044.jpg
Monks carrying lotus-pattern lamps attend a buddhist ritual at the Shaolin Temple on the Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City, central China's Henan Province, Aug. 13, 2016.

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/20160814/38/15749043438913505758.jpg
Shaolin Abbot Shi Yongxin (C) and monks carrying lotus-pattern lamps attend a buddhist ritual at the Shaolin Temple on the Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City, central China's Henan Province, Aug. 13, 2016.

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/20160814/46/15103067796382055062.jpg
African apprentices carrying lotus-pattern lamps attend a buddhist ritual at the Shaolin Temple on the Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City, central China's Henan Province, Aug. 13, 2016. (Xinhua/Li An)

(For the latest China news, Please follow People's Daily on Twitter and Facebook)(Editor: Huang Jin,Bianji)

Random news but it fit this thread so well. Man, those loti lights look cheesy. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
12-24-2021, 10:57 AM
Feature: First Shaolin Temple opens in Zambia (http://www.news.cn/english/20211223/90ad4b202bf44bb6b447d7e4c37ecb58/c.html)

Source: XinhuaEditor: huaxia2021-12-23 22:12:30

http://www.news.cn/english/20211223/90ad4b202bf44bb6b447d7e4c37ecb58/6d01b083b59246c59da2d49516c0e162.jpg
Photo taken on Dec. 22, 2021 shows a view of Shaolin Temple in Zambia, Lusaka, capital of Zambia. (Photo by Martin Mbangweta/Xinhua)
by Elias Shilangwa
LUSAKA, Dec. 23 (Xinhua) -- In an attempt to inculcate Chinese Kungfu and culture among the Zambian citizens, the first-ever Shaolin Temple has been opened in Lusaka, the Zambian capital.
The establishment of the Shaolin Temple is a collaboration between China's Songshan Shaolin Temple and Hua'an (Zambia), a Chinese-run company in Zambia.
Yan Lun, the headmaster of the temple, said the objectives of the project include teaching Shaolin Kungfu, Chinese culture, helping understand the African culture as well as enhancing the China-Africa friendship.
"The influence of Chinese culture in the world is increasing. People abroad want to know more about Chinese culture and learn Chinese culture," he told Xinhua.
Construction works of the temple started in April 2019 and were completed in July 2021. Four monks from the Songshan Shaolin Temple in China are at the Temple to conduct the teachings.
The headmaster, however, said activities at the temple have not yet commenced at full throttle due to the COVID-19 pandemic but expressed happiness at the interest shown by people who have been frequenting the temple.
The project was targeting not only Chinese nationals in Zambia but nationalities from all countries, especially the local people.
Other activities to be conducted at the temple include Shaolin medical education in which people will be taught the theories and methods of traditional Chinese medicine, Shaolin Kungfu exercises.
Others include Zen education meant to help improve people's moral quality through meditation methods to help cultivate a culture of responsibility to the country, to be self-disciplined and be patriotic citizens.
The temple also intends to help the vulnerable in society through various means. Currently, three orphaned children are being kept at the temple.
Max, the only African monk at the temple whose Chinese name is Yan Ming, said it is important for African people to learn the cultures of other countries in order to blend into the global system.
Max, who is from Cote d'Ivoire, said due to his interest in culture while at the university, he decided to go to China in 2015 in order to learn the Chinese culture.
He said learning the Chinese culture has opened to him many things and that the time spent at the Shaolin Temple taught him the importance of self-discipline and respect for mankind.
"We are here to impart to the Zambian people Chinese culture and we hope this will help to build China-Africa relations," he said. Enditem

bummer. that pic link doesn't work.

threads
Shaolin Temple Zambia (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72221-Shaolin-Temple-Zambia)
shaolin-buddhism-and-ma-in-Africa (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?32265-shaolin-buddhism-and-ma-in-Africa)

YinOrYan
12-25-2021, 12:37 PM
bummer. that pic link doesn't work.

That's because someone put a jpg extention on a png file. Its nice that African colors were used on the structures...