PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy Alternatives

Askari Hodari
09-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Greetings. What alternatives have any of you found for the traditional wooden dummy? I really can't afford to make an investment in a traditional dummy at present. Nor do I have sufficient space for one. So I wanted to find out what modular, portable, or otherwise alternative devices/processes have others in similar circumstances have devised?

Thanks in advance.
Askari Hodari

anerlich
09-04-2004, 10:11 PM
If you can get a regular chair and find a way to secure it on its side so its four legs are pointing at you, that will let you work on some movements and combinations.

Try and get one with round, rather than square legs ;)

AmanuJRY
09-04-2004, 10:12 PM
For training the Muk Yan Jong Fa, I haven't seen a 'adaquate' substitue that is any less than an actual thing. The cheapest alternative is to do the form in the air.

OTOH, building one yourself is an option many pursue. There are lots of plans and diagrams available to work from.

curtis
09-05-2004, 05:53 AM
AmanuJRY

The verry best training Tool you can buy is a full size miror.

its cheeper than a mook jong. and a lot more usefull.

It may sound like a kids game, but watch the person in the miror as if he was your training parkner. any mistakes you see him doing , you can correct him, in that way you both learn. ;-)

remember control is the name of the game. control of the primeters, control of your body, FLOW from movement to movement.
WHO ever said you need to hit something to insure proper tecknique. the eye and the mind are far more inporant.
and again the miror is a great training aid.
it cant hurt to try.

sincerly your.

lawrenceofidaho
09-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Check out e-bay for something like this, or make one yourself.

lawrenceofidaho
09-05-2004, 11:19 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to attatch a padded striking surface either. You could also further simplify it by making only one "straight" (perpendicular) arm at chest level instead of two angled ones.

AmanuJRY
09-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey, you could marry Anerlich and Lawrence's ideas;

1. get a board, similar to the one in the pic's
2. get a chair with round legs.
3. bust the legs off the chair and mount them to the board, like the pic's.

probably comes in under $50, or way less if you get the chair at a thrift store.:D

Stevo
09-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Ask a friend to stand in front of you with a leg and two arms sticking out, and tell him when you need to hit the low arm, so he can lower it. :D

anerlich
09-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Ask a friend to stand in front of you with a leg and two arms sticking out, and tell him when you need to hit the low arm, so he can lower it.

I could suggest that with a male friend the lower arm could be emulated by another part of the anatomy, but that would be peurile and so I shall avoid it.

anerlich
09-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Hey, you could marry Anerlich and Lawrence's ideas;

And also add a mirror!

Phil Redmond
09-06-2004, 11:44 PM
You could always write Curtis. He can make ANYTHING WC related. I've seen his workshop. He made me some dummy arms that were just like the Koo Sang dummies. He's even got a dummy with a "breakable" leg that pops back into place after you "break" it.
Oh, and he doesn't ask an arm and a leg (no pun intended). ;)
Phil

YongChun
09-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Wang Kiu said when he learned Wing Chun from Yip Man there was no dummy built yet. So instead they did a two people version where one side punches or kicks or whatever and the other side responds with the dummy sequence. He called this the live dummy. It's nothing special just a two people version of the normal dummy movements. The other way is the stationary dummy idea where someone stands with two arms outstretched and one knee up.

Stevo
09-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
I could suggest that with a male friend the lower arm could be emulated by another part of the anatomy, but that would be peurile and so I shall avoid it.

Phew, I'm glad you didn't suggest that. ;)

curtis
09-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Thanks
for the kind words Phil!

Mook jongs are not hard to make. but shiping can kill the hole deal. If anyone wants a mook jong. and lives around DET. MICH.
contact me, or if you just have some questions on different ways to make a dummy, you can always e-mail me.

curtgeorge@wowway.com

I still think for a beginer you cant beet a miror. after that a mookjong is a good tool to have.

But Remember, TOOLS are only as good as the person useing them.

Stevo
09-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by YongChun
Wang Kiu said when he learned Wing Chun from Yip Man there was no dummy built yet. So instead they did a two people version where one side punches or kicks or whatever and the other side responds with the dummy sequence. He called this the live dummy. It's nothing special just a two people version of the normal dummy movements. The other way is the stationary dummy idea where someone stands with two arms outstretched and one knee up.

A good idea, provided the changeability of roles of the wooden dummy arms is kept in mind (i.e. the dummy's 'inside right' arm sometimes represents an opponent's outside left arm, etc).

In the air can be useful, too, as someone already said. I found it useful when I was learning the form and was travelling away from home and was trying to remember and ingrain the sequence of movements in the form.

Simon
09-07-2004, 02:18 AM
We do 3 versions of the dummy form

1. On the dummy
2. In the air
3. With a partner (not forgetting that there is almost always more than one application for each movement)

all contribute in different ways (in the air stops you from leaning on the dummy etc)

Jedi-X
09-07-2004, 07:28 AM
You a get a jong that is made from PC plastic for a very cheap price. I have also seen a jongs the can be placed in the doorway that are pretty cheap. The only problem is that you're paying for the top half of the jong. In other words you're paying for the part of the jong that has the 3 arms. You don't get the lower half.

curtis
09-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Hello guys

just one small note. you get what you pay for. Ide stay away from the junk on the market. you would be far off better to save your money. and buy a good mook jong, or better yet build one your self.

Again the miror is proberly the cheapest way to train, it works both your mind and body.

But take my advice, and remember.
free advice, is worth exatly what you paid for it.

"O"yes one more free bit of advice. DONT PET A BURNING DOG! ;-)

Hendrik
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Askari Hodari
Greetings. What alternatives have any of you found for the traditional wooden dummy? I really can't afford to make an investment in a traditional dummy at present. Nor do I have sufficient space for one. So I wanted to find out what modular, portable, or otherwise alternative devices/processes have others in similar circumstances have devised?

Thanks in advance.
Askari Hodari

OK, I give you the alternatives secret of Yik Kam teaching. if you all promise to give credits to Yik Kam here on. :D

Askari Hodari
09-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Hendrik
OK, I give you the alternatives secret of Yik Kam teaching. if you all promise to give credits to Yik Kam here on. :D

Hendrik: giving credit where credit is due certainly isn't a problem. What method did Yik Kam use?

Hendrik
09-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Askari Hodari
Hendrik: giving credit where credit is due certainly isn't a problem. What method did Yik Kam use?

lets wait for more audience. :D