PDA

View Full Version : Jim Nim Sau Partnerdrill

German Bai Lung
09-06-2004, 08:02 AM
First Clip shows the Drill slower.
Second one shows it a little bit accelerated.

It´s a drill that we train as one of our Basics. The name is Jim Nim Sau (Sticky Hands) which most of you already know.

I´m curious if you performance is different or the same ...

(for clips look here: Movie Thread! (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=521613#post521613) )

puja
09-06-2004, 08:57 AM
We do this drill also as a basic, but as my shifu states, it's from his former qi xing years.

Does anybody have the mandarin translation for "Jim Nim Sau" (? ? Shou)

best regards,

Puja

ninjaboy
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
sorry guys but i'm not seing any clips or hyperlinks...

German Bai Lung
09-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Puja:

Mandarin could be: zhan nian shou

LawClansman
09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
GBL:
The drill as I learned it alternates partner and hands / sides. In other words first one partner does the drill then the other instantly after. Next the original partner does the drill on the oposite side (right or left) and the same is repeated. Alternately, you can keep doing the drills on the same side but alternating which partner. At the conclusion of the drill (low finger thrust) the hands of both partners are brought up to a tau sao strike (stealing hand) to create the first contact.
We also have a two person form called sup baat mor san sao (18 touch application) which has the jim lim sao incorporated in it. I believe it was taught at Sifu Raymond Fogg's last seminar in Texas this year. If you did not see it yet there is an article in Inside Kung Fu about the Texas group (kung fu exchange) with an old class pic 1982.

Your play of the drill looks good. Remember to use it when sparring also.

MantisCool
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi! Jochen

We have that drill too! But we call it Chwin Sum Sau or literally "Through Heart Hand" because in the last strike we strike the heart.

In all the 3 strikes, we use knife hand with the palm standing up. In your case I noticed that most of the time the palm is facing down.

In the last strike, the opposite side use Fun Cheong (Back hand) to the head. The attacker blocks up and starts the sequence all over again.

Xdr4g0nx
09-06-2004, 10:54 PM
We also have this drill, sifu reserve this for the somewhat advance group. Our drill has some differences that I see from yours, one is we alternate partners after each set, the person doing the drill is offesive and is actually moving toward with each strike, and finally the hand is done like the mantis hook but turned forward. Sifu said that it is not for hard targets but is aimed at soft targets like the eyes or throat.

German Bai Lung
09-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Sifu Carl:

Thank you for the good expandation of the drill. Sometimes the most simple things won´t come to you ... :)
I will use that immediately!

German Bai Lung
11-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Hi Wushu Chik,

the last strike should go to the groin or at least to the lower abdomen.

yu shan
11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Cool drill, looks similar to a zhan nian taught to me. Thanks, I`ll work this and get back with you.

axlegreen
10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey, i was perusing the mantis thread, and saw your "sticky hands" clip. I study Wing Tsun kung fu, where sticky hands is stressed. In your clip there is breaking of contact, im really interested to know how your ideas compare to ours, seeing as I really dont know much (read:anything) about Preying Mantis and am a bit of a martial arts addict in general.

post or email axlegreen@hotmail.com

Cheers, Alex

mantis55
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
This exercise is jim lim sao and after 25 cycles, we switch sides.

Observations:

On the 3rd offensive move, the left hand peel upwards should be vigorous, creating the opening for the poke to the belly with the slight front step forward into the opponent.

Defensively, the two palm strike block on the belly poke should be done sharply, the left palm edge striking a pressure point at the wrist and the right palm edge striking the pressure point at the fleshy part of the inside elbow and then skipping forward with the counterpoke to the throat. This lightning quick poke forces the other side to bring up the right hand quickly and move the shoulders slightly to the right to avoid the poke, intercept and continue with the 2nd and 3rd motions.

The dual palm block should be initiated with fingers pointed slightly downward and then snapping the wrist sharply when making contact. Done correctly, your opponent's arm won't last beyond 6 or 7 cycles.

The hands go from the dual palm block to the throat poke in one fluid, vigorous motion.

Lai Sifu described this sequence as a stone skipping across water. Can you imagine it?

Again, words can only take one so far and I am not good with video clips.

Train hard, feel the burn!

Ron Aviles

-N-
10-27-2005, 04:20 PM
On the 3rd offensive move, the left hand peel upwards should be vigorous, creating the opening for the poke to the belly with the slight front step forward into the opponent.In line with my comments on other posts regarding speed improvements based on context - if the transition between the 2nd and 3rd offensive movements is performed as in fencing's feint/disengage you will steal the initiative from the partner and attack his midline before he even has contacted with his block of the 2nd attack.

N.

monkeyfoot
10-31-2005, 06:18 AM
Gotta be careful with that double chopping hand to the arm.....there is a main artery that runs all the way up the arm and this move can seriously damage it if done to hard.

btw - we do it exactly the same GBL

craig