PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun books by Wayne Belonoha

Bob8
09-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Hey all,

Does anyone have the new wing chun book 'wing chun compendium'? And what are your opinions about it?

http://www.vingtsun.ca/

Bob

Jedi-X
09-07-2004, 07:23 AM
I don't have it but a friend of mine does. I also have read throught it myself. My friend and instructor, and I all agree that it's a good book. It's a pretty thick book that is filling with alot of information about Ving Tsun.

LaterthanNever
01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I came across this book the other day in BN.

Does anyone have any opinions on it? It seems like a descent book.

Thanks,
LTN

Sihing73
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Hello,

Been a while since I browsed through my copy. I have both Volumes and I do think they are well written and full of useful information. However, they are more conceptual in my mind and should not be thought of as a "how to" type of book. In other words, imho, the book serves as a great supplement to training and can provide insights which can help your training, but the book will not teach you how to do Wing Chun.

Wu Wei Wu
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
A mish mash of topics. I found it a bit silly really. Far better books out there (depending on what you are looking for).

Suki

Vajramusti
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Can't learn from books specially a disorganized one. Some things are lifted without crediting sources. The structure is tiff with the head leaning back.An honest opinion.

LaterthanNever
01-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

As for learning from the book..I only meant as an ADJUNCT to learning from an instructor( a qualified one that is)..

KPM
01-07-2011, 07:08 AM
I think it represents a pretty good reference for the more or less comprehensive curriculum of Yip Man WCK (Moy Yat version). However, I didn't think the technique represented in the photos was all that good. I think Randy Williams' series of books are a better reference in this regard, but can be hard to find and more expensive.

t_niehoff
01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
I thought it was a great comic book.

couch
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Too much filler...all these quotes, etc.

Also, it is said that Compendium 2 was the only book to have the sword form in it. That's bullocks. Sunny Tang wrote a photo book a long time ago with the sword form.

Don't get it.

Wu Wei Wu
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Did someone say comic book? DK2 all the time. Nothing more satisfying than Batman streetfightin Superman.

S.

LoneTiger108
01-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Personally, I found the book okay but very long winded. If you're interested in Moy Yat at all it should be on your shelf imho.

I always find that most books out there on the market lack in the 'artistic' department and the pictures of demonstrations show very little 'life'. Not a problem if all you want to do is read and I think this particular book only reflects how complex some of us see the simplest of Martial Art styles imho.

Sorta says a lot considering we're all here :D

trubblman
01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
The book is as good as any other WC book on the market.

Straight Left
01-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Found it rather dissappointing and would not reccomend. If this is the lineage you train in then it may be of interest. Otherwise I found it preachy, condescending and unrealistic. It's a big book with plenty of space ruined by small grainy pictures. There are better books out there.

couch
01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Otherwise I found it preachy, condescending and unrealistic.

That's because in real life, he's preachy and condescending.

Vajramusti
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
The author apparently is in the Sunny Tang line and the book may be a reference book for folks in that line. The kuit is a collection from Moy Yat's collection and Fong collection among others.

One of the things in some of the stances... the head of the author leans backwards- supposedly to make it more unreachable. IMO- that helps break up the author's axial structure.

joy chaudhuri

HumbleWCGuy
01-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I think that it depends on where you are at in your martial arts career. You will get a lot out of it as a nube or intermediate, but it is just tid bits, if you are advanced.

LoneTiger108
01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
The author apparently is in the Sunny Tang line and the book may be a reference book for folks in that line. The kuit is a collection from Moy Yat's collection and Fong collection among others.

Interesting, as the author Wayne Belonoha also learns Wushu, Taichi, Karate, Ba Qua and Hsing Yi too. I must have missed the Sunny Tang connection as all I really remembered was the vast amount of kuit and terminology that was revealed.

Just picked it up again and see Grandmaster Tang is also a firm believer in SLT being governed by heigung. Will have to read that one again!

couch
01-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Interesting, as the author Wayne Belonoha also learns Wushu, Taichi, Karate, Ba Qua and Hsing Yi too. I must have missed the Sunny Tang connection as all I really remembered was the vast amount of kuit and terminology that was revealed.

Just picked it up again and see Grandmaster Tang is also a firm believer in SLT being governed by heigung. Will have to read that one again!

Sunny Tang is the reason for a lot of the Wing Chun in Canada (not all).

I track my lineage through him to Moy Yat. However, my Sifu's teacher stopped paying the monthly membership fees long before my Sifu met him.

JPinAZ
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Um, what happened to the rest of my post? Can someone please explain why almost EVERY post of mine is getting editted or simply deleted? Please point out which part of my post breaks forum rules?

"I was actually interested in buying a copy the book, until I read this thread. It was the negative comments about the book that swayed my decision not to buy it. As a result, the author of the book will not get money because of what I read here. I wonder if this will result in other people not buy the book as well.

Could it be argued that this thread is hurting his business and the negative comments could be construed as attacking the author, hurting his business, and therefor should be deleted? Remember, we have all been instructed to play nice.."

GeneChing
10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for IP MAN STYLE WING CHUN (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstakes-ip-man-style-wing-chun.php), autographed by Wayne Belonoha! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 10/15/2015.

GeneChing
10-20-2015, 01:33 PM
See our WINNERS: IP MAN STYLE WING CHUN autographed by Wayne-Belonoha (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69006-WINNERS-IP-MAN-STYLE-WING-CHUN-autographed-by-Wayne-Belonoha) thread.