PDA

View Full Version : Fook Sau

Ish
07-25-2001, 10:47 AM
Can anyone tell me a practical use for a fook sau?

Thanks a lot

S.Teebas
07-25-2001, 11:40 AM
Yes

Ish
07-25-2001, 12:12 PM
Will you then? Please

Gluteus Maximus
07-25-2001, 12:28 PM
Yes, the word "fook" can come in handy in case you ever visit the north of England, and the fook sau motion (mainly the version with the fingers turned turned downwards), is often seen in Oxford Street, Sydney.

Max

To know the unseen, you must first learn to see.

Ish
07-25-2001, 12:33 PM
I live in the north so i guess i must use it all the time eh

Gluteus Maximus
07-25-2001, 01:58 PM
Depends partly on how good your aim is with a hammer when driving in a nail :D

Max

To know the unseen, you must first learn to see.

Ish
07-25-2001, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have any sensible answers?

Nat from UK
07-25-2001, 02:53 PM
We use it after a bridge has been made to defend the lower gate (stomach )

If you have been training for two years i assume you have started Sil Lum Tao, fook sau is repeated 3 times at the start - has your teacher not explained the movement and its applications ??

Fook Sau is a one of the motions in Dan Chi Sau, (the first drill i learn't) within this drill its application is clearly shown ???

Hope this helps -

Nat From UK

Ish
07-25-2001, 02:59 PM
I have learned all of the first form and have been tought the movement. I have also used it in chi sau my teacher hasn't shown it in any applications.
Can it be used as a defensive technique on its own or with a dunch?

Ish
07-25-2001, 03:02 PM
that was supposed to be punch

Sihing73
07-25-2001, 03:49 PM
Hello,

I am at work and rather busy, should not be on the web :) but here is a quick reply. I hope to go into greater detail later.

Fook Sau is one of the three "seeds" of Wing Chun. It is a concept which allows many offspring. You can see some of this in the dummy form where you learn to use the Fook in a flicking movement to the inside of the upper dummy arms. You can also apply Fook in a slightly downward/forward pressing movement to clear an obstruction and punch with the other hand. Fook can be used to set up a lap sau as well.

Hope this gives you something to think about. More later.

Peace,

Dave

dzu
07-25-2001, 07:26 PM
As Sihing73 has already mentioned, fook sau is one of the 3 seeds of WC, the other two being bong and tan. Conceptually, the chinese characters for fook indicate a man subduing a dog by holding or pressing it down. To me, this gives a good indication as to how it is applied. Whenever you try to subdue the opponent, you are using fook sau.

You don't necessarily need to be using the fook sau technique to be employing the fook sau concept. For example, if my opponent punches me and I intercept with my own punch, I am employing both tan sau, to spread the energy out and redivert the punch, and subduing/controlling his bridge using my own. Like wise, if I step in with a lan sau, not only am I obstructing the opponent from entering my space, I am also pressing his bridge and horse so that he cannot attack me. If I initiate with tan sau agaist a larger person but feel as if I am still not in control of their bridge, I can use fook intention to subdue/press their bridge down and over extend them instead.

The way I see it, tan sau and fook sau are complements to each other as yin and yang. One concept is spreading and the other is subduing. I see the transition in between the two as bong sau. Some people have a preference of one over the other two seeds, but ideally we should all be competent with all three.

Other 'hands' that I see deriving from fook sau include gum sau, pak sau, lop sau, an sau, and jum sau. The legs also follow the same concepts. As I mentioned above, however, one can apply any 'technique' with any of the 3 seed concepts/intentions.

regards,

Dzu