PDA

View Full Version : Signal from space

IronFist
09-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Whoa

Here (http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1028302004)

blooming lotus
09-08-2004, 01:58 AM
well that explains the engaged tone I keep getting :rolleyes: :D

very cool, but you do realise that if I posted the same link and comment myself, by now we'd have 152 respones and more on the way?? !!

can't beat notorioty ha :rolleyes: :)

Serpent
09-08-2004, 05:26 AM
Don't flatter yourself.

Abstract
09-08-2004, 05:36 AM
what the signal probably translates into is:

''nothing to see here, move along...''

:p

David Jamieson
09-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Yeah I saw that on the science news show Daily Planet the other night.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it all, if it's an echo a quark or bonafide.

IronFist
09-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
what the signal probably translates into is:

''nothing to see here, move along...''

:p

I don't know if this is how you meant it or not, but I found some witty humor in that statement and thought it was hilarious :D

ZhouJiaQuan
09-08-2004, 08:24 AM
That story looks like it was based on this one

A Bored Journalist (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996341)

Which "is misleading" according to Seti researchers...

Dont believe the Hype (http://www.seti.org/about_us/info_for_media/in_the_news/setiathome_found_signal.php)

Becca
09-09-2004, 01:19 AM
From what I understand, the most important thing about this anomaly is that it is the first "real" find by SETI@home...

Royal Dragon
09-09-2004, 03:11 AM
But the astronomy team says that it also happens to be the best candidate yet for a contact by intelligent aliens in the six-year history of the SETI@home project, which uses programmes running as screen-savers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through signals picked up by the Arecibo telescope.

Reply]
Screen savers? How in the hell does a "Screen Saver" search for aliens? God, no wonder my PC has been running so slow lately!!!

I think this line alone disqualifes the whole article.

Kristoffer
09-09-2004, 05:21 AM
You being clueless doesn't disqualify the article

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question204.htm

Becca
09-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon

Screen savers? How in the hell does a "Screen Saver" search for aliens? God, no wonder my PC has been running so slow lately!!!

I think this line alone disqualifes the whole article.
You really are cluless... The screen saver is a program ypou download. It uses your CPUs downtime to sift through data from seti. when it's done it sends the data back and getts another packet. It only runs durring the time you are not making any draw on your computer's processors. Most people, myself included, don't shut down thier 'puter much. I have been involed with SETI@home since it first started and I have not noticed any difference in performance.

red5angel
09-09-2004, 09:08 AM
this signal is a good candidate, something they will return to to have a look at. It's nothing like the WOW! transmission in the 70's.

David Jamieson
09-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I hope that it's God. If I was a satanist, I would be wearing a tinfoil hat right now!

diego
09-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
I hope that it's God. If I was a satanist, I would be wearing a tinfoil hat right now! what you mean you don't got one on right now?...ARE YOU CRAZY!!??!?!?.

rubthebuddha
09-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I hope that it's God. it is. it's a reply back form the Lord, saying:

Dear subjects,

Please turn off your stupid transmissions. You're ****ing up My reception to ESPN2, and I'm trying to figure out what the **** is up with people blaspheming My creation by doing figure skating. Thus, turn off your **** broadcasts before I group you all in with the figure skaters when I finally rain My holy fire down upon them.

Much obliged,

The Lord

Vash
09-10-2004, 09:18 PM
The-Buddha-Who-Likes-to-be-Rubbed has taken the correct and written it down in a book. Unfortunately, that book has been used as the basis for hate, rage, inbreeding, snakehandling, and growing some freakish eyebrows, and is currently a number one best seller at martialartsmart.com

Becca
09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Vash
The-Buddha-Who-Likes-to-be-Rubbed has taken the correct and written it down in a book. Unfortunately, that book has been used as the basis for hate, rage, inbreeding, snakehandling, and growing some freakish eyebrows, and is currently a number one best seller at martialartsmart.com
It is also next on the list to be turned int a propaganda film...

rubthebuddha
09-11-2004, 12:23 PM
could be, but as long as gene keeps selling copies and i keep makin royalties, the morals and ethics of it all don't mean a thang.