PDA

View Full Version : student of whf

holymantis
09-08-2004, 04:15 PM
could anyone out there help me find out the student's name in one of whf's books.
the set is called yat lo yair yue kuen [1st route essential ] and he is filling in the move's for some of the photo's in this book.
his stance work is [ tops] and i try to use him as how stances should look.
:D :D

MantisifuFW
09-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Holymantis,

Welcome to the list! By way of introduction where are you studying Tanglang and are you teaching?

The Master in the picture is named Wen. I have his full name but have not got it at my desk right now. He was indeed a disciple of WHF and was his first graduate according to what I have read. Stories about him say he was nicknamed "the monk" and was a fierce fighter.

He will be featured in the next Mantis Quarterly, funny coincidence. BTW do you get the Quarterly?

Great to get to know you,

Steve Cottrell

FEELERSTRIKE
09-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Hello Holymantis ,
If you are who I think you are , are you revising hard the route forms ? If so look forward to seeing you in December . If not hello anyway

grifter721
09-09-2004, 05:22 PM
I was told that he was Won's first graduate, and that he trained very hard, but his name as told to me was Wai Hong Sing, I dont speak chinese, or even get taught in it, so this is my represenation of his name.

Someone wants to change, "revise" the Important Fundamentals"??

holymantis
09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
now that i may have his name does anyone know if he is still alive????.
he must be in his 80s by now.

holymantis:D :D

holymantis
09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
thank you mantisifuFU for your time .
and thank you grifter 721 .
also keep in contact feelerstrike see you dec.

:D :D holymantis

Tanglang-UK
09-13-2004, 02:13 AM
Ha, ha... I know you too! ....good place this...look forward to recieving that photocopy ....soon!:)

OK, the person in question is Mr. Wei Hansheng. As pointed out he was the first student of Master Huang's to graduate at the 'Special level' in 1948. Sorry to say that he passed away in 92, he was 74 years old.

Hope to see you in December too.

Tanglang-UK

holymantis
09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
:D :D hello tanglang-uk,
good to here from you ,
and thank you for the info about mr.wei Hansheng. yes hope to see you in dec . that photo copy i should hopefully get sent to you soon . don't worry i have not forgot .

holymantis

MantisifuFW
09-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Indeed Tanglang UK is correct. I am sorry. I checked my notes and it is Wei not Wen. That's what I get for trusting my memory instead of my notes.

Steve Cottrell

holymantis
09-13-2004, 02:25 PM
it's ok mantisifuFU,
thanks anyway for your help with this piece of knowledge .it all go's to help with each persons knowledge on our style and i hope other students of our art who have whf books have learned something from my question and can now put a name to a face .

holymantis

MantisCool
09-14-2004, 09:00 PM
For those who are interested in Wai Hong Sing, his pictures can also be found in WHF's book "Zhi Wu Jian". At the back of the book there are pictures of him doing sword duet with WHF.

FEELERSTRIKE
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Hello MantisCool ,
Is the WHF book on Zhi Wu Jian still available ?

MantisifuFW
09-15-2004, 02:24 PM
FS,

The Zhi Wu Jian, or sometimes called the High Noon Sword, is not available except for some private collections. We are working on making it and other rare volumes available one day but the day is at least a couple of years into the future.

It was said to be the favorite Jian set of Luo Guangyu. It is said that he would walk though the park with a stick while going though the motions of the set.

Steve Cottrell

MantisCool
09-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi! Feelerstrike

If you are interested in electronic form, you can Pm me your email address and I can send you a copy when I video shoot it from the book.

MantisifuFW
09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Mantis Cool,

There are some never before published photos of Master Wai and Wong Honchiu training together in his book.

Steve Cottrell

MantisCool
09-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi! Steve

You mean in Wong Han Chiu's "100 years..." book? Will check it out!

Thanks

khoo

MantisifuFW
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Indeed Mantis Cool,

In the back of the book in the index.

Hope it helps,
Steve Cottrell