PDA

View Full Version : New website being built

Ernie
09-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Hello all
Some very nice web designers have volunteered there services to build me a *real* website , after telling me how bad my site was put together =)
So I will be going back to the lab and shooting new video content and stills
I would love to get some idea’s from your perspective on what you would like to see , both from traditional technique / form and modern training perspective
Or just things you might like to see or wonder about in all the subjects we covered

Any criticism and or suggestion is more then welcome
My goal is to get this done in a month or so, so I have time

Thank you Ernie

Shadowboxer
09-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Ernie,

Here's what I would like to see:

1. Weapons sparring and/or drills (knife vs. knife/pole vs. pole/ knife vs. pole)
2. Any hardcore stuff you have/film
3. "Anti-grappling" ideas.

Thanks and best of luck.

YongChun
09-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I would like to see training ideas that you think are useful for other Wing Chun practitioners that might be different from the standard stuff practiced in days of old.

The Gary Lam clips were always very good so keep these of course.

Duncan Leung shows students working out in different ways against kicks and punches and stuff. That kind of thing is good too.

Chi sau is always good so that people can relate their stuff to your stuff.

Maybe even some SLT.

sihing
09-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Ernie,
I think a video of your history would be a cool thing to have on your own website. Old footage of yourself combined with new footage would show anyone that views your site that improvement in MA is possible by adhereing to the principals you advocate on your website. My Sifu is also in the process of building a new website and has a offer from a student who is a webdesigner to help him with it. I suggested the same thing that firstly he should do a video history of himself, then do the same thing with us instructors, and then possibly a documentary to follow. I like your picture gallery on the site, that would definetly have to stay on your site as you have met allot of "famous" people during your travels in the MA, but it is cool too that you share pics of your fellow training partners and teacher Sifu Lam.
I'm sure that whatever you decide to do with the site will turn out great..
Good luck to you.

James

Matrix
09-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Ernie,

To add to the comments already submitted, I would like to see some good information on footwork, which tends to get very little focus elsewhere. Also some conditioning tips and drills would be great.

Looking forward to seeing the new look.

PaulH
09-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I think it is good to have a clip that will go beyond just a showcase of WC skills. Perhaps your vision of something unique, unusual that only you can tell it and that will leave a tantalizing impression on the viewers long afterward. What inspires you? What is WC today by you? =)

Whiplash
09-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Yep, I second the footwork suggestion :)

Ernie
09-09-2004, 01:08 PM
awesome guys keep it coming , I have video of me 3 months into my wing chun training getting smacked around by David Peterson and latter Michael louison , also Hawkins and tons from Gary so I do have a video history of my embarrassing moments =)

in my mind I keep wing chun [ as shown by Gary] training and attribute training separate though the skills support each other so I would separate things like WSL 5 footwork patterns vs. live action sparring footwork and development just as an example

though when I teach I do connect the dots

but I will look into this more

did some one say SLT ahhhhhhh =)

just got my hands on WSL teaching a SLT seminar in HK

man he can move

i'm takeing notes thank you guys

Mr Punch
09-10-2004, 12:45 AM
I third the footwork thing... liked the article on your site with the pics of William Cheung and WSL (was it? can't remember)... fits in with my conclusions too!!! lol.

Anything's good though, keep it coming.

Saw your pic on your site too. You're a bit of a big ****er aren't you!!! :D

CFT
09-10-2004, 02:22 AM
How about a demo of how you "don't use shapes anymore" (to paraphrase you)?

I want to SEE what you mean ... please :D

Ernie
09-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Mat
I Saw your pic on your site too. You're a bit of a big ****er aren't you!!! :D

i'm mid sized :) 5'11'' 185

foot work seems to be the big thing , hmmm now were talking natural footwork right ?

not the specific training patterns , in WSl there are 5 basic ways of stepping from the ''eek'' stance then there is a long step variation , knife ,dummy,and pole footwrk

this is probably commen along most Yip man WC

CFT[How about a demo of how you "don't use shapes anymore" (to paraphrase you)?

I want to SEE what you mean ... please]

I don't us *fixed* shapes anymore [ well that's a lie since i'm teaching i need to use them , must make the man into a robot to then make him a man again:D ]

This is a specific part of Garys system and he has not put it on video or openly shown it in any articles , so i'm not sure if i can put it out before he does , but i will ask him , would be a fun project ,
you still need structural connection , or else it would not be wing chun , but you don't just make a shape because , you relate

it comes down to a concept of '' 2 points or 1 line '' these are based on contact area's and how they relate to the other persons ability to adjust and generate power

not sure were you live , but i have no problem showing the stuff not like suddenly your super man , just dials you into the other person better and short cuts your actions

CFT
09-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Ernie
not sure were you live , but i have no problem showing the stuff not like suddenly your super man , just dials you into the other person better and short cuts your actions Other side of 'the pond' I'm afraid.

I know there are no quick fixes or shortcuts in martial arts. But if you can expand on this then great. I've still got a lot of learning to do in the system I currently practice, so who knows, maybe I will 'get it' one day.

I wish you every success with your new site, and look forward to the results.

Matrix
09-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Ernie
hmmm now were talking natural footwork right ?
Yep....or whatever kind of footwork you recommend, and why.
Most stuff I see seems to be focused on the hands, with maybe some stance info, but I want to see dynamic footwork.
Like you said, we are all pretty well familiar with the footwork in the forms. :)

AmanuJRY
09-10-2004, 08:57 AM
More footage of Rob (Kincaid) in action.:D

canglong
09-10-2004, 09:08 AM
more backyard brawls.... good luck ernie you go boy!

Ernie
09-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Bill,
I will have to address this in the attributes portion of my site , I have been working with a group now for a few months and everybody is moving a lot better , now I have to draw the line back to the wing chun , refine the engine and purpose , steal the linkage in the motion . work in progress what worked for me may not work for others ,

Justin,
More footage of Rob (Kincaid) in action

Ah footwork personified , rob will be building his own website soon and I will help him , he will be beating me up quite a bit , we are planning on holding some workshops out here , if it works out I will send you a video , I actually want him to give some ground seminars to my guys but rob is a top dollar guy , he will teach me for free but he gets like $150 an hour and his schedule is friggen full , but he deserves it he is that good

Tony ,
more backyard brawls.... good luck Ernie you go boy!
Hey thank you man , are you out of the Frisco branch I’m debating a trip to Hawaii or going to Frisco in October for my b-day . will have my lady with me so to much wing chun is out of the question , she wants me to rest , been training to much =)

Still would be cool to meet some folks and hang out

canglong
09-10-2004, 02:19 PM
ernie,
Hawaii or Frisco no contest, you must be in favor of one and her the other interested in finding out who wins out ;) Hung Fa Yi is headquartered in San Francisco yet I train in Phoenix, but hey we're all good people so if you find yourself in the city be sure and give 'em a call and I am sure they will be glad to have you as a guest be sure and tell 'em canglong sent you.