PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, reaction speed

IronMonkey
09-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Ok, I bet if someone was to just walk up to me and just try to punch me in the face, most likely I doubt I'd see that coming. So, any exercises out there for you to somehow develop reaction speed or time. :)

CaptinPickAxe
09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Headache bags work wonders. They also teach you to keep your gaurd up.

blooming lotus
09-11-2004, 07:20 PM
there's a well known technique for this going way back involving snap striking into a towel or even paper. The point benind this is to develope fajing / snappy power so instead of using your pushing force ( as in against a wallk or bag etc) you develop the snap / speed skill. I also work my speed by hardcore rounds with a wall or bag. For increased awareness of opponents movements, try some meditation on being aware of your environment. What moves, how does it, at what speed and pattern??

There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing. if you condition your snappy power, and can remain vigilant of your environment, I think you're doing well.

Samurai Jack
09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing.

Plus, Ninjas are totally sweet! Sometimes they flip out and kill people!

Serpent
09-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, while whaling away on their guitars!

Vash
09-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, I should throw out the obligatory crotty response: two-man drills. BEEYOTCH!

Matrix
09-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Vash
BEEYOTCH! Is that what they're yelling instead of "KI-AI!" these days??

sticky fingers
09-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Play 'headhunting' badminton. get your friends to smash straight at you. Great for your evasion reflexes

IronMonkey
09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Matrix
Is that what they're yelling instead of "KI-AI!" these days??

LOL :D

HiddenShadow
09-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Headache bags work wonders. They also teach you to keep your gaurd up.

what are headache bags ? What exercises can you do with them increase reaction time and so forth ?

IronFist
09-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Maybe get a double end bag?

blooming lotus
09-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing.

Plus, Ninjas are totally sweet! Sometimes they flip out and kill people!

like they do anything else between vs 3 and the outro :rolleyes: ;)

Matrix
09-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by sticky fingers
Play 'headhunting' badminton. get your friends to smash straight at you. Great for your evasion reflexes Good idea! Also consider trying Paint Ball for longer ranges. Those things can leave a nice calling card. ;)

Scythefall
09-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Our Sifu was talking to us about that once. He said , "Man, you guys are way too relaxed. " For homework, he said he wanted us to spend more time when walking or when talking to people, think about what you'd do if that person was to attack you, if someone jumped out from behind a car in a parking lot, walked up behind you ready to rob you. He doesn't want us paranoid and dangerous to our loved ones who might walk up and put a hand on our back, but he doesn't want us to be so relaxed.

Two man drills are great, but you have to have the attitude and awareness. I've found the best way to maintain that attitude is have a lot of things that remind you of your training around you. Even at work, a General Kwan statue or a miniature weapons rack will work wonders.

IronMonkey
09-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Scythefall
Our Sifu was talking to us about that once. He said , "Man, you guys are way too relaxed. " For homework, he said he wanted us to spend more time when walking or when talking to people, think about what you'd do if that person was to attack you, if someone jumped out from behind a car in a parking lot, walked up behind you ready to rob you. He doesn't want us paranoid and dangerous to our loved ones who might walk up and put a hand on our back, but he doesn't want us to be so relaxed.

Two man drills are great, but you have to have the attitude and awareness. I've found the best way to maintain that attitude is have a lot of things that remind you of your training around you. Even at work, a General Kwan statue or a miniature weapons rack will work wonders.

Hmm... Ill keep that in mind. :)
Any more suggestions, anyone?

IronFist
09-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

IronFist
09-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
like they do anything else between vs 3 and the outro :rolleyes: ;)

huh? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Matrix
09-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Scythefall
He doesn't want us paranoid and dangerous to our loved ones who might walk up and put a hand on our back, but he doesn't want us to be so relaxed. This is good advice, IMO. To be alert at all times, not paranoid, but Calm and alert to what is happening around you. You need to train your mind, as well as your body.

Toby
09-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Or maybe get a headache bag, as Mea^H^H^H CPA calls them :D.