PDA

View Full Version : The One-Handed Pushup

IronMonkey
09-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Ok, after talking to a friend of mine about this, who can do this perfectly and many times, and of course taking his advice, I thought I'd share with you guys.

Some of you want to do this but cant, and heres something to help you...
Get into your one handed pushup position (legs spread wide for good balance). Now, with your other hand, the one which you werent gonna use (left for most of us), use two fingers of that hand, so now you have one hand down, along with two helping fingers from your other hand. Tense up a little and go down, trying to balance your weight.

Thats practically all. Soon, you'll be doing one handed pushups quickly if you practice like this. May sound dumb to some of you, but works great for me.
Keep in mind, two fingers is kinda easy, then just support yourself with one, and this is the way you will get stronger. :)

_William_
09-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Good idea, I think I will give it a whirl.

blooming lotus
09-13-2004, 03:26 AM
then, when you get the hang of that, lift a leg as well. Awseome for balance and better to use opposites ( lft arm rght leg) if you can swing it.

enjoy :)

IronFist
09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Then do some pullups for your triceps.

Haha sorry I couldn't resist.

Hey BL, have you ever seen that ab exercise where you balance on one arm and the opposite leg? I can't remember what it's called, but I might be able to find a picture of Pavel doing one.

And can you do dragon flags? Your high rep ab exercises won't help you do those. Dragon flags are a good test of ab strength.

IronMonkey
09-13-2004, 04:19 PM
LOl @ IronFist :D

Good luck William :)

Finally, what are Dragon Flags? :confused:

FngSaiYuk
09-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
Finally, what are Dragon Flags? :confused:

"Dragon Flags, a.k.a. reverse crunches, are done lying with your back flat on a bench. Hold the bench securely behind your head. Curl your legs up and push upwards straight above your head with weight resting on your shoulders. Keeping your legs straight and hips pushed forward, lower back to the ground"

IronMonkey
09-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
"Dragon Flags, a.k.a. reverse crunches, are done lying with your back flat on a bench. Hold the bench securely behind your head. Curl your legs up and push upwards straight above your head with weight resting on your shoulders. Keeping your legs straight and hips pushed forward, lower back to the ground"

Yea, friend of mine sent me link to site that describes this and shows video, hard for me, heh, thanks SaiYuk.

Toby
09-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Hey BL, have you ever seen that ab exercise where you balance on one arm and the opposite leg? I can't remember what it's called, but I might be able to find a picture of Pavel doing one.I used to do those sort of things. I'd lie there on hands and toes and raise one arm then the other then one leg then the other then opposite hands and legs together. Same principle as ab rollers.

And can you do dragon flags? Your high rep ab exercises won't help you do those. Dragon flags are a good test of ab strength. I suck at those. Hard work. Like doing an ab roller on my feet, I still can't do those.

blooming lotus
09-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Yea, friend of mine sent me link to site that describes this and shows video, hard for me, heh, thanks SaiYuk.

Iron fist : -

you are a very funny guy :rolleyes: :) :D

I really do have awesom,e abdominal stregth and would be confident to challenge almost anyone on an ab: ab contest ( despite the lil adipose :o :p :D ;) ) that's been accumulating while travelling and drinking self stupid for lack of plan........ come chinese gaol stint prep ( but moving on ???)

do you have any idea how many of those I do each and every day ??? Enough to call you on it.

Dammed... love to do a run dmc style not dance but sweat sesh with ya, but kinda not within 3000 miles.

BS: high rep abs don't help...... mine are more inney abs but i've felt some torso from all sorts , and I think I can hold my head up .........

I know kip ups are abs and thighs and some aerials require seriously lean abs ( which 1/2 pie lacking for a week or bit :( ) , but I'm not sure there's many core ( ab) based exeercises I'd not feel confident facing off on .... nice try though babes ;) :)

on tris though : have you tried a tri stretch come tri dip / extension BWE set??? Awesome results. check it out and compare your findings.........

like I said... you're a weighty boy and I dig working my bw ( and 70 + kgs luggage when porter not handy all over the GODAMMED country ...

probably much to muchness result wise, but wayly different no??

heard a comment from a hard core maer recently on leg strength: he asked " who has strongest legs we know???!!!" , wanting to increase his own and all, and ya the answer from the room???

....Dancers dude!! You think they're lifting weighhts?? Bushi ......no way!!!

it'[s all bwe , but tell me a dancer ( professional no less) has poor leg strength compared to other athletes??? can you do it and be truthful???

love to hear your thoughts.....

cheers

B

Toby
09-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
do you have any idea how many of those I do each and every day ???At a guess I'd say none. I'm sure you do stomach exercises, but Iron was specifically asking about dragon flags. How many dragon flags do you do each and every day?

BS: high rep abs don't help...This from the girl who does 2hrs/day on the "ab-doer"? Why do that if it doesn't help?

( and 70 + kgs luggage when porter not handy all over the GODAMMED country ...You carry over 1.7 * your bodyweight around? Is that 70+ real kg or 70+ BL kg?

heard a comment from a hard core maer recently on leg strength: he asked " who has strongest legs we know???!!!" , wanting to increase his own and all, and ya the answer from the room???

....Dancers dude!! You think they're lifting weighhts?? Bushi ......no way!!!

it'[s all bwe , but tell me a dancer ( professional no less) has poor leg strength compared to other athletes??? can you do it and be truthful???Who's the mysterious "the room"? Just wondering who this authority on leg strength is ...

While I have no doubt dancers have good strength characteristics, I'm a ****phobe so it'd never be the activity for me. I'll name a couple of other sports where athletes typically have higher leg strength - weightlifting (Olympic and power) (duh), AFL, NFL, ARL, rugby union. I'm not saying that dancers have poor leg strength - they typically have excellent physiques - but I don't agree with "the room". I wouldn't say "Dancers have the strongest legs 'we' know."

blooming lotus
09-13-2004, 08:21 PM
a : on leg strength querey : ... just fellow kungfu bros ans sisters..........

B: if they don't have "it" then why do footballers take ballet to help their game???!!!

C: 70 + kgs Y8000 + of shopping + own girly gear weighed at each port.yah 70 kg real weight ( ps: did I mention the bis, back and tris looking good at pres :) :p :rolleyes: )

D: obviously tobes you just don't get what i'm doing with the ab - doer..... I think my little sister still has my old one, and if not I'll get another. If and when I finally get home, I'm either dragging the doer to WA or taking some vid clip shots and posting them for you

E: Dragon Flags??? AS in reverse abs?? I do abs in every direction and angle , 600- 1300 min per day usually, yah ...I get the lower back in much the same load if not directly ......

maybe extra 2 % fat today ( jingtian) than nrom, but really, love my abs , squats, pushups, tris and isos above everything..............

wanna play ab absorbtion ( aka : gonna fock you if you don't get there first) ???

I don't care about your fat or your exo- morphaness, abs are under there and your rom and strike absorbtion speaks for itself.

wanna play?? ha?? ha Tobes... wanna play with B a lil??

:rolleyes: being faciciast,( forgive me ......misperonounced this word in my iq test too . dammed sarcasism and optional wording !) but i'd take you up if you accepted , but playing nicely hard core right ;) :P :)

KaiKhoon
09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Are one handed push-ups using completely different muscles than normal push-ups ? I can throw down 75 normal push-ups, but I can't even do a single one handed push-up for my life.

Toby
09-13-2004, 08:42 PM
a : on leg strength querey : ... just fellow kungfu bros ans sisters...Then you'll forgive me for not accepting that they know anything about strength.

B: if they don't have "it" then why do footballers take ballet to help their game???!!!How many footballers? All teams? All members of each team? If indeed any footballers do do ballet, I'd hazard to guess it would be more a coordination exercise than a strength drill.

C: 70 + kgs Y8000 + of shopping + own girly gear weighed at each port.yah 70 kg real weight ( ps: did I mention the bis, back and tris looking good at pres :) :p :rolleyes: )I'd be impressed at you doing a farmer's walk any significant distance with 70+kg. That's like me doing it with 145kg. Not trivial.

... I'm either dragging the doer to WA or taking some vid clip shots and posting them for youPlease, take the video :p.

E: Dragon Flags??? AS in reverse abs?? I do abs in every direction and angle , 600- 1300 min per day usually, yah ...I get the lower back in much the same load if not directly ...Reverse abs? Dunno what that is. Dragon flags is when you lie on a bench and hold the bench behind your head. You support your body on your shoulders/neck and raise and lower your legs from horizontal up to vertical while keeping your body and legs straight. 600-1300 per day of those? Right.

:rolleyes: being faciciast,( forgive me ......misperonounced this word in my iq test too . dammed sarcasism and optional wording !) ...Faciciast? Misperonounced? Sarcasism? I get what you're trying to say with the latter two, but what do you mean by faciciast? Are you being a fascist? Are you being farcical? 'Cause neither makes sense.

... i'd take you up if you accepted , but playing nicely hard core right ;) :P :) No thanks, you'd kick my ass in endurance. But I could easily pick you up and throw you. Quite some distance too, I'd imagine. Like those dwarf-tossing contests they play at pubs that are so politically incorrect these days.

Toby
09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by KaiKhoon
Are one handed push-ups using completely different muscles than normal push-ups ? I can throw down 75 normal push-ups, but I can't even do a single one handed push-up for my life. Just like Hindu squats use different characteristics than pistols, one-handed will require much more strength than two-handed (and especially a higher strength-to-mass ratio). But balance and structure are also important factors.

blooming lotus
09-13-2004, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toby
Then you'll forgive me for not accepting that they know anything about strength.

How many footballers? All teams? All members of each team? If indeed any footballers do do ballet, I'd hazard to guess it would be more a coordination exercise than a strength drill.

yah.... and leg strength / mobility naturally ensues..........more they bargained for ha

I'd be impressed at you doing a farmer's walk any significant distance with 70+kg. That's like me doing it with 145kg. Not trivial.

Please, take the video :p.

:rolleyes: you'd be as cheering to see me as I would you..........no shame dude, just note trade and reality checking .

Reverse abs? Dunno what that is. Dragon flags is when you lie on a bench and hold the bench behind your head. You support your body on your shoulders/neck and raise and lower your legs from horizontal up to vertical while keeping your body and legs straight. 600-1300 per day of those? Right.

correct . if not more ......

Faciciast? Misperonounced? Sarcasism? I get what you're trying to say with the latter two, but what do you mean by faciciast? Are you being a fascist? Are you being farcical? 'Cause neither makes sense.

]I hate that word.no not fascist.faciciest.. ( phonologolically fasishiest) dwai.sarcastic....... sue me on it, but wait up cause the sue que's lil long at the mo....

No thanks, you'd kick my ass in endurance. But I could easily pick you up and throw you. Quite some distance too, I'd imagine. Like those dwarf-tossing contests they play at pubs that are so politically incorrect these days. [/QUOTE

you think you'd throw me ha??? lol......

i'd nearly pay for that experience:p :D :cool: You can have the move , but can you land it is the question.???

I'm tiny, I do speed, dimmak and accuracy ( like yesterday when this crazy , nice smelling mid-east dude promised m e a coffe in the visa office lunch break, but instead drove me miles from the embassy and tried to "sex slave / rape " ) no shyte .crazy mofo!!!) me but escaped nicely regardless......... and your method ???

You do what suits your body, condition, circumstance and style, but if we're talking real, I'm not playing, I'm gonna wanna just the fock outta there. Lil chicks alone in the world need to know some jazz..... dong???

Toby
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
yah.... and leg strength / mobility naturally ensues..........more they bargained for haNo. To train leg strength and mobility they would do weights and field drills respectively.

:rolleyes: you'd be as cheering to see me as I would you..........no shame dude, just note trade and reality checking .I'm still waiting for those photos ... Remember I posted some and you promised we'd get yours? Anyway, I'd cheer to see a video of you just like I'll cheer if I go to see "Dodgeball" at the movies.

correct . if not more ......So more than 1300 dragon flags a day? Mm-hmm.

I hate that word.no not fascist.faciciest.. ( phonologolically fasishiest) dwai.sarcastic....... sue me on it, but wait up cause the sue que's lil long at the mo....
Faciciest? (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faciciest)
Fasishiest? (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fasishiest)
Faciciast? (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faciciast)

There isn't even anything remotely similar in the thesaurus reference for sarcastic (http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=sarcastic).

I'm tiny, I do speed, dimmak and accuracy ( like yesterday when this crazy , nice smelling mid-east dude promised m e a coffe in the visa office lunch break, but instead drove me miles from the embassy and tried to "sex slave / rape " ) no shyte .crazy mofo!!!) me but escaped nicely regardless......... and your method ???I love your stories.

Ming Yue
09-13-2004, 09:22 PM
she means "facetious", I think.

Toby
09-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Ahhh, makes sense now. Thanks MY ;).

Ming Yue
09-13-2004, 09:31 PM
you're welcome. that was easy.

"phonologolically", however, is not so simple to decipher.

;)

:D

but really, I just busted out some of those dragon flags and those ARE rough -- in a good way.

Toby
09-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Bet you didn't do more than 1300 ;). I haven't done any for a while and I'll continue to avoid them at the moment - they're not good for my shoulder.

Ming Yue
09-13-2004, 09:39 PM
sure didn't. I did two sets of 50 and the second set was getting pretty slow there at the end.

I do them as FngSaiYuk described, but I don't bend my legs. keeping legs straight up, lift up until butt and lower back are not touching the ground, then return.

IronFist
09-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Dragon Flags were described incorrectly. They're not reverse crunches. Let me try to find a pic.

BL, there's no way you do more than 10 of them per day. With your ab endurance routine, I doubt you can even do one. Fvck, I used to have strong abs and I got like 2 or 3 one time. I don't really do ab training any more other than DL and Squat and Bench press and I could maybe get one if I tried.

IronFist
09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
This is a dragon flag, but it's not a good picture. Note that ONLY HIS SHOULDERS are touching the bench. It looks like his back is, but it's not. Usually people do them off the end of the bench. The point is, only his head and shoulders are touching the bench, and his back is not.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/images/dragon3.jpg

Ming Yue
09-13-2004, 09:49 PM
whoa.

off the end of the bench? wow.. would like to see that.

Toby
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Agree with Iron. I used to find them very hard on the neck. Also, I'd struggle to hold the bench tightly enough. Lots of arm strength required to not lose your grip when you're trying to hold up most of your bodyweight. The shoulder/neck acts as a fulcrum, the legs and everything below your chest are the load and the arms are the force holding you up. Additional force required (the ab component) to keep you straight like a board. Like Iron, I'd struggle to do a handful. I didn't read the reverse crunch description before but I just did then and yeah, it isn't how I would describe them.

IronFist
09-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Yeah. I'm sure people will look at that pic and still think he's just lifting his legs up, which is wrong.

I find that I get biceps cramps from doing them, but my biceps don't hurt until I let go at the end. Is that weird?

Toby
09-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I used to get the same sort of cramps. So yeah, you're weird, but so am I :D.

Serpent
09-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
you're welcome. that was easy.

"phonologolically", however, is not so simple to decipher.

;)

That is by far and away my favourite bl word to date. I'd love to hear her try to use that word in a sentence!

Dragon Flags kick ass. I want to get a bench so I can try that out. I wonder how many I could manage?

Toby
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
They strike me as similar to pistols, Jandas, standing ab rollers, etc. If you're not used to them, you'll probably struggle to do 1. Plus, correct form isn't necessarily easy.

Serpent
09-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Watch this space. I'll let you know next time I'm near a bench of some kind.

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
That is by far and away my favourite bl word to date. I'd love to hear her try to use that word in a sentence!

Dragon Flags kick ass. I want to get a bench so I can try that out. I wonder how many I could manage?

anything that can be done off a bench, can be done off a bed, a lounge suit or a table if you wanna get really creative:rolleyes:

His pronunciation is just not phonolocially correct.

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 03:33 AM
This is a dragon flag, but it's not a good picture. Note that ONLY HIS SHOULDERS are touching the bench. It looks like his back is, but it's not. Usually people do them off the end of the bench. The point is, only his head and shoulders are touching the bench, and his back is not.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/images/dragon3.jpg

Iron: can't get the link to open but if someone can post the pic, we'll go from there. :cool:

I'm sure you remember my crazy ab regime. We argued about it long enough. Can you get the pic up for me??

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Toby
No. To train leg strength and mobility they would do weights and field drills respectively.

that I'll give you but dancers don't and their leg strength kick as*!

I'm still waiting for those photos ... Remember I posted some and you promised we'd get yours? Anyway, I'd cheer to see a video of you just like I'll cheer if I go to see "Dodgeball" at the movies.

:rolleyes:

So more than 1300 dragon flags a day? Mm-hmm.

I love your stories.

1300 dragon flags?? no no ... 3000 abs in general .

as for my "true" stories, you should hear the one about the cts guy who followed me back to my hotel room to "assist" me , grabbed and groped me thinking I looked either needy or foreign enough and instead got makked with a sp9 blade and a chin na wrist twist, before he submitted and begged for the "call me later " option. And all without breaking the sugar drole ;) :) :p

IronFist
09-14-2004, 09:02 AM
You can't do dragon flags off a bed. A table would be very difficult and probably not balanced nor strong enough to support you.

The reason I say you can't do them is because of your ab routine. The same reason a marathoner can't win a sprint race.

rubthebuddha
09-14-2004, 09:13 AM
... the same reason ironfist can't run eight feet. :D

IronFist
09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Basically :)

IronMonkey
09-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Ah, love all your conversations, lol, from one hand pushup, all the way to making almost 3 pages about Dragon Flags, heh, I need to try doing one. :D

FngSaiYuk
09-14-2004, 03:26 PM
... 3 pages about Dragon Flags, heh, I need to try doing one. :D

They're fun!!!!

ohhh... the burn!!! the burn!!!!

THE most difficult ab excercise I've come across yet!

IronMonkey
09-14-2004, 04:07 PM
They're fun!!!!

ohhh... the burn!!! the burn!!!!

THE most difficult ab excercise I've come across yet!

Haha, friend of mine who I talk with (same friend who gave me advice on one hand pushups) told me that I shouldnt try to do them cause it might bring pain to my knee, since you kinda have to tense up your legs when going up.

FngSaiYuk
09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
You have to tense your whole body from your upper abs to your toes! Well, mebe not your WHOLE body, but a good portion of the muscles. In any case, you'd get a great workout by tensing up ALL of those muscles when maintaining the straight and rigid body.

Toby
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
IronMonkey, I doubt they'd hurt your knee. If so, you're in a fairly handicapped state and should be more concerned with fixing your knee than one-handed pushups or dragon flags.

For more killer stomach exercises, try Janda situps, full-contact twists, standing ab rollers, bent press off the top of my head. I'd almost guarantee no-one here can do a standing ab roller. If you can, I'd be extremely impressed. Jandas are difficult at first but doable - no cheating though. The other two you can vary the weight to suit.

Ming Yue
09-14-2004, 06:54 PM
can you describe a standing ab roller?

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 06:56 PM
prev, and
You have to tense your whole body from your upper abs to your toes! Well, mebe not your WHOLE body, but a good portion of the muscles. In any case, you'd get a great workout by tensing up ALL of those muscles when maintaining the straight and rigid body.

this is just a variation on a hard core pilates regime, ( dynamic bwe) an swearing to it.. no matter else, the core is good. I'd happyily meet you anywhere anytime, regardless of corrent sit and pump out your requ.

dead set boys,

been a little fat *( > 48 kgs :rolleyes: and now die hard ab effectionado). maybe don't know so so much, but for sure , more than most, applicatively speaking, know my abs and know nutrition!

i'd meet you on the call!!!!!! Any one local to0 guangzhou with a few mins to spare??

no doubt see the Sydney boys soonish ( providing I don't lose hope or take the "lay and die on a mountain" option. )

apprently you all "need " , so looking forward to "proving " myself the min i reach civilisatio£Î

£é£Æ¡¡£Ù£Ï£Õ¡¡£§£Ò£Å¡¡£Ã£È£Ò£É£Ó£Ô£É£Á£Î£¬¡¡£Ð£Ò£Á £Ù¡¡£Æ£Ï£Ò¡¡£Í£Ù¡¡
£Ó£Á£Æ£Å¡¡£Ò£Å£Ô£Õ£Ò£Î¡¡£È£Ï£Í£Å¡¡£È£Á£¿£¿£¿

£Ã£È£Å£Å£Ò£Ó¡¡£Í£Á¡¡£Å£Ò£Ó¡¡
¡¡:) :( ;) :) :cool:

Toby
09-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
can you describe a standing ab roller? Just doing ab rollers on your feet instead of your knees. I do 3x8 on my knees once a week, but every now and then I try the standing ones and fail miserably. You get to a certain point and just crash down. I remember reading some T-mag article where they tried out like 20 college athletes or so and only one could do a standing ab roller. He went on to become some kind of sports star, NFL maybe. Vague story, but the point is they're hard.

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 07:23 PM
1nce / week nancy???

ab rollers have limited rom, and to be honest I think it comes down more to arm , upper back than full on ab....

I swear and promise ( which I rarely do)..If the baystards will let let me go home ( :( ) I'm gon' shoot that ab - doer clip and post it for all... You really don't know what you're missing!!!!!!!!

damm I wanna show it to yas..................

Ps: this clip ( if and when it comes out ) is going to revoloutionise ( notice oz s in lieu of z spelling ) ab- regimes globally!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah!!!

;) :)

Toby
09-14-2004, 07:33 PM
1nce / week nancy???Yeah, once a week Ronald. I prefer Jandas and full-contact twists at the moment, so those I do 3 times a week and add in the ab roller on Fridays.

ab rollers have limited rom, and to be honest I think it comes down more to arm , upper back than full on ab...They do stress the arm and back considerably. But nowhere near as much as other exercises I do. I like them. Plus the ROM is quite good, from 90° to 180° upper body to legs angle. Do you do them standing? I know everything else is sooo easy for you, like more than 1300 a day dragon flags.

I swear and promise ( which I rarely do)..If the baystards will let let me go home ( :( ) I'm gon' shoot that ab - doer clip and post it for all... You really don't know what you're missing!!!!!!!!

damm I wanna show it to yas..................

Ps: this clip ( if and when it comes out ) is going to revoloutionise ( notice oz s in lieu of z spelling ) ab- regimes globally!!!!!!!!!!!I think everyone would be asleep before your 2hr ab-doer routine was over ;).

... revoloutionise ( notice oz s in lieu of z spelling )Yep, that "s" surely corrected the spelling for me, teech :D.

blooming lotus
09-14-2004, 07:48 PM
considering rest o' ab regime.okay. acceptable for a . grade performance
(like I'm the expert :rolleyes: :p :D )

sleeping???? No babe....... we'd have little time so telly time / ab work in front of telly is all good all round !!!! , and for singles, awesome chill time!!!...... breathe and work a lil......do it on A sette even!!!!

:D :rolleyes: )

cheers boys

B

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 03:53 AM
Ignore the pm because I found the thread and got the pic to open.

that's exactly what I thought you meant, and yah, I do up to 600 - 1000 ish of those when I have a routine on. The only difference is that I don't hold on overhead because Like with Iron body, when I draw my abs down into my lower diaphragm and tuck my ribs away, I feel the over head thing takes some weight / resistence out of the exercise, so I put my hands either at my side or under the small of my back.

Also, if you can do these incline / decline ( off a bench or sofa) and add a twist with arms extended to side, you get an awesome olibique crunch. Regular ( as in daily ) part of my regime.

Looks like I may be home soonish, so I'll try to post a clip if I can swing it, to demo the variations. Unless we're all clear.
Are we clear??

FngSaiYuk
09-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Looks like I may be home soonish, so I'll try to post a clip if I can swing it, to demo the variations. Unless we're all clear.
Are we clear??

Nope, not clear, I would be VERY interested to see a clip of these variations.

IronFist
09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
lol, oh my gosh you do not do 1300 dragon flags. Maybe you do 1300 of something that looks like a dragon flag, like leg raises where your butt is still on the bench, but you don't do 1300 dragon flags. Remember the part where I said ONLY YOUR HEAD, NECK, AND SHOULDERS TOUCH THE BENCH, AND YOUR BACK DOESN'T? You do not do 1300 of them per day.

btw, your inbox is full, anyway.

IronFist
09-15-2004, 09:15 AM
That's why it's better to do them off the edge of a bench, so that people can see that only your head is touching because there's no bench underneath your back at all :)

IronFist
09-15-2004, 09:17 AM
that's exactly what I thought you meant, and yah, I do up to 600 - 1000 ish of those when I have a routine on. The only difference is that I don't hold on overhead because Like with Iron body, when I draw my abs down into my lower diaphragm and tuck my ribs away, I feel the over head thing takes some weight / resistence out of the exercise, so I put my hands either at my side or under the small of my back.

btw, you're not doing dragon flags because you can't do them with your hands under your lower back because that means your butt would still be touching the bench.

Please go reread my description of them.

Again, for the reading-impaired:

Things that DO touch the bench:
-head
-neck
-shoulders
-hands (above your head)

Things that do NOT touch the bench:
-back
-butt
-legs
-butt
-back
-hips
-back

Are we clear on that yet?

FngSaiYuk
09-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Also, BL, using your arms for support by placing them under or beside your torso does not isolate your abs or make the excercise any more difficult. In fact, it makes it a LOT easier. At that point it's not far fetched for someone to do 1500 say, flutterkicks throughout the day.

Try to follow these steps and let us know if you can feel it... this is the most difficult excercise I know of for my abs-

lay with your shoulders on the edge of a bench

grip the bench either beside or just above your head

pull your body up vertically, so that your body is rigid from the base of your chest to your toes, shoulders on the bench, chin to your chest - you should be looking straight down your body to your toes, the ceiling, or sky

keep your body straight and rigid from the base of your chest to your toes, and lower your body to be as parallel to the floor as possible over a 4-5 count period - do NOT allow any part of your body to break the plane supporting your shoulders

pause near parallel to the floor for 1-3 sec- body straight and rigid, your head facing upwards to the sky/ceiling

slowly raise your body, maintaining rigidness, back up to the starting position over a 4-5 count

That's one rep, don't pause between reps, as soon as your body is vertical, continue to the next rep. Let us know how many reps & sets you can do.

Oh the BURN!!!!

IronFist
09-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Here is an illustration to show that the back and hips do not touch the bench. Please note that the back and hips are not touching the bench. Please also note that they are not flutter kicks, nor are they reverse crunches. Please note that it is impossible to do them with your hands under your lower back because of gravity.

FngSaiYuk
09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
ooooh, art!

IronMonkey
09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Just doing ab rollers on your feet instead of your knees. I do 3x8 on my knees once a week, but every now and then I try the standing ones and fail miserably. You get to a certain point and just crash down. I remember reading some T-mag article where they tried out like 20 college athletes or so and only one could do a standing ab roller. He went on to become some kind of sports star, NFL maybe. Vague story, but the point is they're hard.

If thats what it is, I can do it, I did them before, not that many though, hehe. :)

IronMonkey
09-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Lol @ the pic, nice drawing :D Dragonflags seem hard, I need a sturdy bench to try to do them on, so it doesnt fall when I grip it.

Serpent
09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I love Iron's drawings.

Toby
09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
That's the best Iron art yet! Nice one.

IronMonkey, if you can do standing ab rollers, that's great! It is easier for young people in general than old ****s like me. Like how little kids can play all day without getting tired and I gas out after 10min. So try and keep it up when you get old like me ;).

Eyebrows, it's impossible to do dragon flags without holding on to the bench behind your head. Simple physics. The fulcrum is your shoulders/neck, so unless your head weighs as much as everything below your shoulders, you're not going to be able to do it. Hmmm, actually in your case ...

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 06:57 PM
I love Iron's drawings.

lol... missed his calling ha ;)

Toby : I don't even believe in impossible so I can't pay your comment.

I'm kind of a lil more clear on what you're saying, and even though i haven't had a full routine on for a bit, I'll check it out tonight in terms of how many of your presciption I can do and i'll get back to you.

Ps: the over head grab where you take some weight on your ( ??) delts does in deed take it out of your abs. hands at side, but only for a finger balance thing, or at small of lower back to the same effect, suit me peachily. I will for sure check your suggestion / query and get back to you.

( Ps: this is friendship/ peership at best, ate several meals this week, but I'll check it out anyway ;) :) )

Toby
09-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Whatever. I don't know it's impossible, but I believe it is. An analogy would be standing with your feet together and your upper body at 45°. Same principle - your centre of gravity is outside your base. In the standing case your base is your feet. Your centre of gravity would fall a couple of feet outside your base. With dragon flags, your centre of gravity would be somewhere around your dan tien (or a bit higher maybe). Your base is shoulders/neck. So your centre of gravity is way outside the base for most of the ROM of the exercise (except when your feet are vertical). You need the hands holding the bench to counteract the centre of gravity force. The abs are worked by keeping the legs and torso straight as a board. The exercise you're probably thinking of - leg raises with your butt on the floor - you have everything from your neck/shoulders to butt on the ground, so your centre of gravity is inside your base. Make sense?

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 07:14 PM
yah, but if you get ( or have gotten ) into the habit of drawing ribs in and navel to spine, your gravity centre takes a whole new dimension. I don't wanna shoot my mouth off just yet until I've worked it EXACTLY as you ( and irons' pics ) describe it, but give me 24 hrs ( outta shape as I am ) and I will report back with all honesty.

Hang about babes, I'll get back to you ..haller ( ok??)

Toby
09-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I don't wanna shoot my mouth off just yet ...What? Are you feeling alright? :D

It doesn't matter how much you "draw in" anything. It's a simple 1st class lever. The fulcrum is your shoulders/neck. The load is your legs and torso. You need to apply force with your arms to hold up the load. Unless you can bring your centre of gravity up to your shoulders.

Anyway, try it like in Iron's excellent art, lying off the end of a bench. That way there's no cheating. You won't be able to do it without holding the bench.

IronFist
09-15-2004, 07:27 PM
It doesn't matter how much you "draw in" anything. It's a simple 1st class lever. The fulcrum is your shoulders/neck. The load is your legs and torso. You need to apply force with your arms to hold up the load. Unless you can bring your centre of gravity up to your shoulders.

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 07:31 PM
:mad: :rolleyes: :) :D :cool: :p

later okay..........

IronMonkey
09-16-2004, 10:53 AM
LOL :D Funny pic Iron :) I've seen many "owned" pics, but not this one.

Ming Yue
09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Iron needs to draw an 'owned' pic.

IronFist
09-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll work on it after work today :D

Ming Yue
09-16-2004, 12:20 PM
use the really big crayons. you get better chiaroscuro that way.

blooming lotus
09-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok ...here's the scope babe..

kinda busy stressing about getting outta the country last night ( dzo tien) , but thought about it anyway.......

In honesty, I after seeing your drawings Iron , think I'd need the bench afterall........... totally looking forward to getting home and working it. though and I know I"ll have variations. the flags are doing it for me, ( workout / challenge fantasy wise :o :p :D :D ;) ) and soon as I get a chance, I'll share my own thoughts and variations , so stay tuned............

Ps: have dude on forum looking for support comming outta vietnam war with no working legs , alcoholism and looking for tips to recover skill and strength........ give up some advice ha boys??!!!

Toby
09-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Why would you need to do variations on dragon flags? Aren't plain ones good enough for you? :confused:

As to the Vietnam guy, doesn't he know the war ended 30yrs ago? Why is he only now asking for advice?

Toby
09-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Hang on a minute - the Vietnam guy you're advising is Ego isn't it? Too funny ... :rolleyes:

blooming lotus
09-17-2004, 04:09 AM
to do them adding a lateral twist would be a serious oblique burn.

I'm going to try it anyway :)

rubthebuddha
09-17-2004, 08:38 AM
isn't ego about 24 anyway? :confused:

blooming lotus
09-18-2004, 03:47 AM
he says he's 62, so until proven otherwise, I'm just going to go ahead and tentaively believe him ;)

IronFist
09-18-2004, 10:37 AM
So did you ever try a dragon flag?

blooming lotus
09-18-2004, 07:14 PM
in better condition, I have done so many regimes where this very exercise ( or variant ) was a huge component. My method / app looks a lil different from your pics , but I'm feeling it and have no doubt I can deliver variations. Just give me a bit of time to get somewhere more permanent and get my shwang on.

And yourself?? Have you ever worked a df laterally??? Even 3 each side would be an awesome start. Just bear with me okay, i'll get back to you asap. :) :cool:

FngSaiYuk
09-18-2004, 07:33 PM
And yourself?? Have you ever worked a df laterally??? Even 3 each side would be an awesome start. Just bear with me okay, i'll get back to you asap. :) :cool:

Laterally? You mean with a twist to your body? I'd REALLY wanna see a video of THAT.

I did 5 reps the other day... I couldn't laugh the next day... hurt my abs too much... I was able to do some situps today w/o probs... I'll do some more df's tomorrow.

blooming lotus
09-18-2004, 07:48 PM
I look forward to getting the clip out !!

you've gotta understand that for 10 yrs+ abs/ core's been my main focus. It's not something you can expect to do overnight.

I have had a little down time recently though, so give me time to recover from my travels and i'll be cheering to share my versions. ;) :)

FngSaiYuk
09-18-2004, 08:10 PM
BTW, here's a video (http://www.dragondoor.com/images/v90.rm) where you can see one performed.

I like to keep my body as rigid as possible and perform each rep more slowly including a contraction of ALL muscles for a second or two when the body is parallel to the floor.

blooming lotus
09-18-2004, 08:38 PM
awesome clip and cheers for it!!

I got a lil excited gotta admit, but can't agree with his roller style, because it distributes more on arms / delts/ traps etc despite his " I kick a** IMO!

luv the last one , being a huge obilque fan oneself.

I am confident I can do better!!! Give me a lil bit and I'll post you some variations and maybe teach you a thing or three ;) :)

B

Toby
09-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Why do you need variations? Just do the vanilla dragon flag you git. :rolleyes:

I too would like to see your video of the twisted spine version. Make sure to use a microphone so we can all hear your spine snapping. Can I get a cut of the chiropractic bill?

Serpent
09-19-2004, 09:33 PM
What do you need to play that vid? I've downloaded it, but can't play it.

FngSaiYuk
09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
What do you need to play that vid? I've downloaded it, but can't play it.

It's a realmedia file. Under windows, you can go to www.real.com and download their viewer. Or if you prefer downloading just the codecs, you can google for 'megacodec' and hunt down the latest version to install on your system.

Serpent
09-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Ah, OK. I won't use Real - it's just offensively aggressive software. If I use megacodec, can I use that with another player?

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 01:33 AM

I too would like to see your video of the twisted spine version. Make sure to use a microphone so we can all hear your spine snapping. Can I get a cut of the chiropractic bill?

all right git, but make up your mind ha. :rolleyes:

and from such and ab expert yourself

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 01:34 AM

all right git, but make up your mind ha. :rolleyes:

and from such an ab expert yourself

Toby
09-20-2004, 01:42 AM
:confused:

I don't understand why you can't just start with a normal dragon flag in response to Iron's original question. Why look for a different way to do it? Just do the exercise the way it should be done.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 01:46 AM
If we ran with that philosophy we'd never expand our knowledge . Take a standard crunch vs an oblique... you do remember they're in there right??

Toby
09-20-2004, 01:52 AM
... just start with a normal dragon flag ...Do whatever you want later. Otherwise don't say you're an expert at regular dragon flags if you've never done one. Just like don't say you're an expert at pushups if you do them on your knees.

As to crunches, you know I don't do them. Plus you know that I do specific exercises for my obliques, so I don't understand your point.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 02:05 AM
I know, just seeing if you were listening :p :D

On pushups ( of which I was pumping out 500 not that freaking long ago) there are times I drop back to my kness to A. compensate for down time / recovery and B. because I honestly find it works different muscles differently. Like bis for instance. I rely largely on my pushups for that.

As for the Dragon Flags, I can't promise you I haven't done them. I have worked my abs at almost every angle and variation a person'd come up with.
I haven't done them from a bench, but I have done the exact same thing, with rotations
and with resistance ( as in adding weight to the push / pull , raise/ lower)

You work out for 12 hrs a day and tell me how many you can do and how many ways you find to do them!

Toby
09-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Like bis for instance. I rely largely on my pushups for that.That old chestnut :rolleyes:.

As for the Dragon Flags, I can't promise you I haven't done them. I have worked my abs at almost every angle and variation a person'd come up with.
I haven't done them from a bench, but I have done the exact same thing, with rotations
and with resistance ( as in adding weight to the push / pull , raise/ lower)I can promise you you haven't done them. You need something to hang onto. I explained that. You can't do them on the ground etc.

You work out for 12 hrs a day and tell me how many you can do and how many ways you find to do them! Finished for the day now? Or just on a break :rolleyes:.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 02:16 AM
you a funny guy.... :rolleyes:

Barely doing an hour or 3 at the moment to be honest, but I didn't say I did them off the floor. If you read back a bit, there are sofa arms, backs, seats, ab-doers and so on that will get you just as high off the ground and on the same angle ;)

Ps: beg to differ on the hanging on thing, but in no shape nor facilty to try it on. I will get back to you on it, because abs are a passion and I want you to understand. ... being a health professional and all.

And If you do take the sofa back option, you can also work your bridge and get some great stretches on :cool:

Kids are another good prop. throw them on your lower legs and try it. Obviously you won't go as high, but it is resistance and change is better than a holiday right

FngSaiYuk
09-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Methinks BL must weigh somewhat less than a common household cat to be able to do all these BWE's with such ease....

FngSaiYuk
09-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Ah, OK. I won't use Real - it's just offensively aggressive software. If I use megacodec, can I use that with another player?

Yep, the codecs install into the system, then you can use any player that uses the win media api's to decode the media.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Methinks BL must weigh somewhat less than a common household cat to be able to do all these BWE's with such ease....

look fngsaiyuk : I am so sick of that bs copout excuse that I can do it because I'm smaller.... You're work load : bw ratio is what the real issue is meets constitution, spine aligment and bowel / stomache health.

carb overload and excess sugars is a factor not many academically understand and unless you're open to it, i'm not even going to try to explain.

IronFist
09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I can promise you you haven't done them. You need something to hang onto. I explained that. You can't do them on the ground etc.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I heard it, but I re-iterate who said we were on the ground??

did you even read the replies??

Toby
09-20-2004, 07:21 PM
... there are sofa arms, backs, seats, ab-doers and so on that will get you just as high off the ground and on the same angle ;)

And If you do take the sofa back option, you can also work your bridge and get some great stretches on :cool:You can't do them on a sofa, back, seat or ab-doer. You do them on a bench. Full stop. You need a rigid base and something to hold on to. A sofa is too soft. An ab-doer rolls. You do them on a bench.

Ps: beg to differ on the hanging on thing, but in no shape nor facilty to try it on. I will get back to you on it, because abs are a passion and I want you to understand.Why beg to differ? You haven't done a dragon flag, so you don't know what you're talking about. Save your opinion until you have done one.

... being a health professional and all.You're not a health professional.

Kids are another good prop. throw them on your lower legs and try it. Obviously you won't go as high, but it is resistance and change is better than a holiday right Once again, try a plain dragon flag before you brag about adding resistance. Although kids might be a good prop if you had one. Will you wave from the plane as you fly over Brisbane?

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 08:08 PM
:mad: :rolleyes:

you are an arrogant pig Serpent and shame about that because given a slighty more benificent nature, you'd be an awesome maer, teacher,contact and friend !

good luck to you and your ego!!

Serpent
09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
:mad: :rolleyes:

you are an arrogant pig Serpent and shame about that because given a slighty more benificent nature, you'd be an awesome maer, teacher,contact and friend !

good luck to you and your ego!!
What are you on about? I haven't posted on this thread for ages!

LOL. You're insane.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 08:19 PM
and you are up yourself at best

Serpent
09-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Such a buddhist. You realise that I haven't posted on this thread for ages, right? Are you responding to another thread, or is it just the voices in your head again?

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 08:23 PM
actually my page is jumping from thread to thread at its' own will.but being that is too logical i'm sure you don't get it....seriously not in the mood...........

Toby
09-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Roflmao!

IronFist
09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
::looks around::

Serpent
09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
actually my page is jumping from thread to thread at its' own will.but being that is too logical i'm sure you don't get it....seriously not in the mood...........
LOL.

Yeah, that'd be it. Your computer is doing things all by itself.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 08:57 PM
hmm. when you're instructions are in language you're not competant in, anything can happen ............

whatever Serps...........

too bad about turning out a jerk. ... thought I had a good monthly spar partner potential for a mo, but whatever.......... you're too arogant to be bothered with.................

cute is one thing , but dammed I hate pretense!!!!!

Serpent
09-20-2004, 09:03 PM
My god, it must be absolute chaos to be you.

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 09:14 PM
and that's just going to the bathroom. imagine how the rest of the day is. :(

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
no joke! Do you even know the word for toilet in chinese???

Serpent
09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
:confused:

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 09:23 PM
game set and match to messrs serpent and rubby.

honestly, bl, i have no desire to go to china, so i'll stick to learning words in languages that i'll get use out of.

and serpie -- clean out your ****ing pm box.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 09:24 PM
bl should follow that advice with English herself.

;)

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 09:35 PM
you're all as wanked off as each other. I don't mind calling a spade but i'm just here to study and relay........

scr*w you too buddh...........

gongfu info forum my as*..................

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
bl -- right back atcha, sweet stuff. you've been the forum's purest example of why this world needs things like the scientific method, and most importantly, critical review. rest assured that both saint peter and siddhartha guatama despise both hypocrisy and illiteracy in those that have had the opportunity to learn otherwise.

if you were here to study, you'd learn from other people. i don't think you've learned a single thing from anyone on this portion of the forum, because you're still spouting the same bull**** you first shared with us, regardless of the fact that the academic world which you profess to love has proven your ideas wrong time and time again.

try learning. i do it. ironfist does it. even the transvestite hooker monkey serpent does it. open your mind to LOGIC and SCIENCE and the world will be a better place.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 09:47 PM
what do you say to that?? out numbered and out trolled.. At least I'm willing to consider the alternatives.......

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
aside from being a teacher, psychologist, potential singer for savage garden, girlfriend of a shotokan expert, model, etc., she's also a comedienne. not even toby has made me laugh this hard lately.

bl -- you haven't considered a single thing anyone else here tells you, regardless of how many times we say it, how many people back it up, or how much evidence is provided in support. continue using pushups to strengthen your biceps, and we'll continue to pay you the same reverence as we give to richard simmons.

blooming lotus
09-20-2004, 10:03 PM
yah. I understand that's the way you operate and how sad for health and fitnerss future. I do not lift bulk weight, I have trained and studied for over 21 yrs, I do persue my own ideas and I dont care what you take nor leave nor contibute to. you can bet I consider what you say, and even read up on jazz I don't know about from your conversations, but vice versa is not true, so you are right, my presence here is anything but constructive.

have your weights and your unspiritual existances ,I've got studies to persue and arts to learn.......

B

Ps: you can keep pretending , for all your big as* muscles that you've experienced half of what I have either out side of school or on the street. you don't know violence nor real life defence until you've walked a mile in these boots......... thank god they have you though right :rolleyes:

peace

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 10:16 PM
shows how much you know -- i haven't lifted a weight for the purpose of "weightlifting" in roughly three months.

nor have i ever said training without weights was a bad idea. different methods yield different results.

what i have addressed is your level of knowledge about both basic and complex concepts that leave you so far out in left field that, if KFM was wrigley field, you'd be long past the ivy. you have consistently been given opportunities to share logical arguments and academic theories and such, but you share none. when you have gone to the effort of providing ANYTHING, it's half-truths from people like matt furey who are only out to sell their one-sided fitness materials.

toby's not an expert, neither is ironfist, serpent, myself, or anyone else on this forum. however, we read what experts have to say, what critiquers have to say about those experts' claims, and continue to learn.

you, however, don't listen when proven wrong, don't provide supportive evidence when so requested, and continue to simple say things like "whatever babe" or "i don't have the time" instead of making a single effort to come across as remotely informed.

you apparently care about what we have to say, otherwise, you'd probably have left us alone a long time ago. so since you do care about what we say, why don't you make an effort to make yourself sound like you either:
a. know what your talking about, or
b. are interested in learning?

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 10:28 PM
to address your last edit: trying for the sympathy vote because you may have been through hardship won't earn you a thing from me. at most, it may garner a sarcastic "awwwww."

you seem to think your experiences, both made up and legitimate, make you significant in any way. experiences don't mean a thing without the lessons involved, and until you start showing that you've learned some lessons and (get this) continue to be open to new lessons, the average sentiment you'll receive will, as stated before, match that of richard simmons.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
even the transvestite hooker monkey serpent does it.
LOL. Harsh! :eek: ;)

bl, please listen to Rubby.

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
LOL. Harsh! yeah, but you were always into tough lovin. now go put on your costume, toots.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 11:18 PM
You know you love it. What do you want today - Spanky Schoolgirl or Collostomy Nurse?

rubthebuddha
09-20-2004, 11:33 PM
i was hoping more for the Surly Housewife gig, but i'll take what i can get.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey, it's your money. Whatever you want.

As a matter of fact, I've had a bit of the surly housewife thing myself today.... actually, just the surly wife thing, but you know what I mean.

What, oh what, is the secret code to understanding these creatures? All this money into research and development, and still no one has discovered how to fathom the ladies.

Toby
09-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Well, if Eyebrows is any indication we're doomed to never understand ;).

blooming lotus
09-21-2004, 03:26 AM
You all know that I am interested in nothing here but learning more on both health and fitness and gongfu and its' components.
And after that, sharing what notes I've accumulated .

The reason I quote my real life "hardships" as you put it, "defence situations" as I do, is because we are here to discuss martial artistry and defence.

I will continue to study both health and fitness, and persue my phds regardless of whether I am here on the boards or not. Training and gongfu are just what I do when not distracted by life and always will be.
To be honest, I don't think I could even imagine a life that that wasn't a part of in some capacity.

peace boys

Ming Yue
09-21-2004, 04:30 AM
somehow, it never ceases to amaze me

cerebus
09-21-2004, 05:02 AM
You want to be truly amazed? Read the last 2 pages (pages 6 & 7) of the "Blooming Loonie" thread on the Shaolin Kung Fu forum! :D

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
So you boys have finally succeeded in bullying the only girl from the kung fu forum.

You've all been spending too much time in the dojo or worst still in prison not realizing there is an opposit sex.

cerebus
09-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Hey Ming Yue, I guess you're not a girl anymore. :p I gotta say though, you sure look convincing in the photos I saw! ;)

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 06:00 AM
cerebus,

Ther problem with the forum is the intolerance of differing opinions and methods of analysis / perception.

So if you want to side with majority that would save anyone from a lot of grief.

CaptinPickAxe
09-21-2004, 06:08 AM
I side with the majority in saying, "goodbye, BL, I hope you mean it this time."

Ming Yue
09-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Ego...

(understatement)

Her methods of analysis and presentation are frustrating on a good day.

(/understatement)

She's tenacious. If you haven't scared her away, nothing will.

Cerebus, clean out your PM inbox, whydontcha.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Ming Yue,

Not everyone needs to share the same perspective and methods of analysis.

You may or may not appreciate instances when people break away from the traditional mould, but it doesn't mean that this is an invitation to not get along.

Toby
09-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Training and gongfu are just what I do when not distracted by life and always will be.
To be honest, I don't think I could even imagine a life that that wasn't a part of in some capacity.How about a life where you lived with and looked after your daughter and she was a higher priority than your hobbies?

Ming Yue
09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh, I absolutely appreciate a novel approach and will consider any argument to any statement if it's presented in a manner that makes sense and is comprehensible. Also it's helpful if it isn't based on an unnecessarily outlandish claim and supported only by "because I said so".

BL and I get along just fine, thanks. And I didn't even have to kiss her ass to be able to say that.

Toby
09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Ignore him MY. At least Eyebrows is an entertaining troll. Ego's just a pain in the ass trying to ride Eyebrows' coattails.

blooming lotus
09-21-2004, 06:46 PM
listen mingy ,

we tolerate each other and co-exist, so let's not get carried away!! I do not see you as comepetition and because you see what I post as outlandish, I have to assume you have been far to sheltered in your life and have no mofo idea what it is to live a real experience! I am not from ( for most of the time ) the gold lined fence district, I have been to prison, I have been ( and still am ) a mommy, I have travelled the world alone persuing education and gongfu and I have defended myself through situations you wouldn't even know existed. And I have studied sufficiently or at min have the consitution to stay on board and say "deal with it".
;) !

Ming Yue
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I have never accused you of lying nor will I. Outlandish does not mean false, it means unconventional or bizarre, and by your own words you frequently state that your life experiences have been both.

You know nothing of my experiences. Don't assume anything about me.

Toby
09-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Dear Eyebrows,

... persuing ...You're using this pretty frequently lately. Enough so that it's not a typo. I thought I'd point out that it's actually "pursuing",

Regards,

Your friendly spelling/grammar Nazi.

Serpent
09-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I, on the other hand, am more than happy to call you a pathological liar, bl. You live in a fantasy world of your own creation, which is as unstable and unsavoury as your personality which is sadly in regular evidence here on these forums.

I'm mostly saddened that you didn't keep your promise and fvck off. Still, like any persistent venereal disease, it may never go away, but at least we can try to learn to live with it.

blooming lotus
09-21-2004, 06:56 PM
ming : fine

toby: good peg :rolleyes: :cool:

Serpent
09-21-2004, 10:16 PM
bl: leave.

cerebus
09-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Wow! I didn't even realize my inbox was full! All clear now! :D

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 04:42 AM
Toby,

Surely you can give me more credit than that. I mean come on, you called BL a pathological lier, Buddy has even said that I am beneath contempt and all you can come up is "Ego is a pain". Come on!

CaptinPickAxe
09-22-2004, 05:16 AM
BL has proven time and time again that she is full of the brown mucky stuff...

check the quote...I didn't make these up. Then magically, the Chinese want to keep the western devils in? I think not...I think they'd give that old hag the boot...Who wants a nut job living in their home?

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 05:51 AM
CaptinPickAxe,

China's changing alot. I know that there are university scams because i know someone personally who was affected by this. China is very different today to what it was yesterday.

It seems you got the logic the other way around. You have an incorrect perception of China, from that you deduce that BL is a lier and then generalize that all that BL says is a lie.

Sounds twisted to me.

cerebus
09-22-2004, 06:04 AM
What does that have to do with her claiming to have knocked out a 300lb boxer in a fight? What does it have to do with her claiming to have been a soldier, model, dancer, singer (almost lead singer for who was it... Savage Garden?), double PhD student, genius, etc. while not even being able to communicate in English and knowing nothing about the many subjects she claimed expertise in?

Sure, any and all of that stuff COULD be true. However she would have displayed a certain amount of knowledge in writing about those subjects if it WERE true. Instead, she displayed profound ignorance in every subject she tried to lecture us on. THAT is why we were able to see that she was fulla crap.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 06:10 AM
cerebus,

So what do you know about model, dancing, singing to say that BL is false? Being a PHD student and genius doesn't mean you're good at spelling. I'm pretty darn smart myself, and boy my spelling is bad. It's only in primary school that people equate spelling to smartness.

Actually most of what she says is at least subject related. But from you and Serpant, I read nothing but insults. That's it?

What;s your background in life anyway, if you have one to mention :(

cerebus
09-22-2004, 06:20 AM
You've never read any posts I've written to anyone other than you or bl, have you? ;)

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 07:15 AM
cerebus,

I do skim read it yes. I mean I'm no busy body prying into other peoples posts. But hey, most of the posts are addressed to us. That's just what you do.

Toby
09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
Being a PHD student and genius doesn't mean you're good at spelling.Yes it does. No PhD student in the first world will pass without faultless spelling. No PhD supervisor in the first world should (maybe even would) let a student with bad spelling continue without pointing out their deficiencies and advising on corrective action. You cannot submit a PhD thesis with spelling mistakes. Period.

Serpent
09-22-2004, 07:14 PM
cerebus,

I do skim read it yes. I mean I'm no busy body prying into other peoples posts.
Ego, you have never stopped entering other debates before, you tool. And this is a public forum - there's no privacy in posts. That's what pm's are for.

IronFist
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Yes it does. No PhD student in the first world will pass without faultless spelling. No PhD supervisor in the first world should (maybe even would) let a student with bad spelling continue without pointing out their deficiencies and advising on corrective action. You cannot submit a PhD thesis with spelling mistakes. Period.

I dunno dude. I see where you're coming from, however, I'm sure there are geniuses who have bad grammar when they talk... so poor spelling (or being too lazy to type correctly) might not be too far off.

But remember that there are different forms of intelligence, and MENSA has many high school dropouts.

Also, KFM isn't a PhD thesis.

But I see what you're saying.

I always try to have flawless grammar and spelling when I post. If anyone wants to come back and say "you used 'dunno' in your first paragraph in this post" they can save it. That's not the point. But I'm just anal about grammar. I'll go back and edit a post to fix a typo or punctuation mark.

blooming lotus
09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
BL has proven time and time again that she is full of the brown mucky stuff...

check the quote...I didn't make these up. Then magically, the Chinese want to keep the western devils in? I think not...I think they'd give that old hag the boot...Who wants a nut job living in their home?

In all sincerity, I am an awesome teacher, but that aside , they are really really poor here, and if you don't know poor, chinese-style, I can't be sure you know poor at all!!!!!!!! It's ameans to procure western $$ and hR........nothing personal about it.....just be careful and prepared if you come ;) :)

Serpent: STFU .........I'm staying.........don't like it ?? you leave!!!!!!!

Ps: it should be me calling for the ban of your as*es!!!! harrassment is not part of your privileges!!!!!!!!

C'bus: I never said I knocked him out , I said he f*cked my 13yr old lil sister, I confronted him and walked away uninjured..........

on the posts to others you may've contributed to, unfortunately, I haven't either, so I know nothing about you but your trolling and claim to "know " something .........

Ps: TOby: I max out my skills on maths/ science, english and health principals...I guess it's a trade off they're prepared to accept......My spelling is better than my typing, but generally speaking, you're right....so I guess 93 - 5 % is just going to have to do me and them both !! :(

:rolleyes:

Toby
09-22-2004, 07:38 PM
You used
geniousesin your first paragraph in this post.

My post was in reply to Kelvin's. I wasn't saying kfm is a thesis, but in general if you're forced by your studies to have a high standard of spelling/grammar, it will carry over to your kfm posts.

Serpent
09-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Serpent: STFU .........I'm staying.........don't like it ?? you leave!!!!!!!

Ps: it should be me calling for the ban of your as*es!!!! harrassment is not part of your privileges!!!!!!!!

Ah, man. It just gets better and better!

IronFist
09-22-2004, 07:43 PM
You used geniouses in your first paragraph in this post.

Me = owned.

Toby
09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
In all sincerity, I am an awesome teacher ...No you're not. *Ahem* I present to the forum item 1 - the apostrophe incident. I also present item 2 - the "comming" incident. *Flogging away at the dead horse*

My definition of an awesome teacher is someone who teaches correct information in an entertaining manner. They could be the most entertaining teacher in the world, but if the information was false, they wouldn't be awesome. They'd suck.

Ps: TOby: I max out my skills on maths/ science, english and health principals...I guess it's a trade off they're prepared to accept......My spelling is better than my typing, but generally speaking, you're right....so I guess 93 - 5 % is just going to have to do me and them both !! :(Nup. There's no such thing as a thesis reviewer going "Well, their spelling sucks, but that equation looks good - I'm gunna pass them anyway." It doesn't work like that. A certain level of excellence is expected and a thesis full of flaws will not be accepted. I'm surprised you don't acknowledge this. A thesis should contain groundbreaking material that others can use as a reference to build upon. Something full of mistakes just won't cut it.

blooming lotus
09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
there's no mistake about it......when I'm p***ed ,my typing sux!

:rolleyes: I hate you all!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :rolleyes: :p :) ;)

kidding , but stfu......... I just wanna get home and until i know if I should meditate my demise, I 'm drinking my days away............

13 and counting......

Serpent
09-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Can you please drink more. Like enough until you pass out? Maybe then you'll stfu.

blooming lotus
09-22-2004, 07:56 PM
go away........ you wombat :rolleyes:

Ps: heard some reviews on yourself lately, and at min, we're gon trade sweat....... Let you know when I get home .........

Toby
09-22-2004, 08:02 PM
... we're gon trade sweat ...Ewww. I think Serp's happily married to Mr Serp. Mr Serp probably wouldn't appreciate his wife "trading sweat" with a lesbian.

blooming lotus
09-22-2004, 08:10 PM
personally , I'm not above a sweat de trois, and truth be told I have enough whoop as* canned and ready for all who wanna play.........

now go away....

you're cramping my style ;) :P

CaptinPickAxe
09-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Really! I'm always down for a friendly sparring match! I gotta warn you though, us Shuai Chiao players tend to play a little rougher than most. If you're ever in Texas, drop me a line...maybe you could learn something...maybe I could learn something....maybe....maybe...

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Serpent,

"Ego, you have never stopped entering other debates before, you tool. And this is a public forum - there's no privacy in posts. That's what pm's are for."

To you stalking people on the forum is ok. I always have respect for other people's opinions / views when they warrent respect - not otherwise.

Toby,

I don't take much care with spelling. Microsoft spell checking can take care of things that are important also there's grammer check. I guess it's hard for us to understand one another, me being non anal and you being an anal kind of guy.

To me its the ideas that are conveyed that are more important compared to the apostrograhpical notation.

Serpent
09-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Ps: heard some reviews on yourself lately, and at min, we're gon trade sweat....... Let you know when I get home .........
Eww. Think ima hurl.

So who's been giving you these reviews and what did they have to say? Go on, you can come clean. I won't hold it against you or them. Unless you're just full of sh!t again.

Toby
09-22-2004, 11:33 PM
I wasn't talking to you - you bore me. But in this case you bring up an important point:
To me its the ideas that are conveyed that are more important compared to the apostrograhpical notation. When someone's spelling is so bad that ideas are unable to be conveyed there is a problem. That is often the case with Eyebrows - her posts are either illegible or make no grammatical sense. Hence her ideas are misinterpreted, misunderstood or ignored. She might gain more respect if she took the time to go over her posts before submitting and try to make it so other people can understand what she's saying.

I guess it's hard for us to understand one another ...You're right, I find it hard to understand you. Why would a guy in his early 20s pine after a scrub mullet like your ex, pretend to be a wheelchair-bound Vietnam veteran in his 60s from another country, and play with light sabres and Transformers stuff?

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-23-2004, 02:06 AM
Toby,

Every post you read, you seem to have a mindset that you're reviewing someone's Phd thesis. This I don't understand.

"You're right, I find it hard to understand you. Why would a guy in his early 20s pine after a scrub mullet like your ex, pretend to be a wheelchair-bound Vietnam veteran in his 60s from another country, and play with light sabres and Transformers stuff?"

I know this is false, so that's the quality control I can apply to what you say. It bears the question as to what you say is actually true. You seem to have the form, good grammer, typo etc. but lack the substance.

"scrub mullet"

??? what is this? A mullet is a type of hair style I think. scrub mullet?

Oh yeah, in a thesis, when you use technical terms, its important to define what they are, saves the hassle of well inteded readers and asking you again and again. Its called doing it right the first time sonny.

blooming lotus
09-23-2004, 05:03 AM
Eww. Think ima hurl.

So who's been giving you these reviews and what did they have to say? Go on, you can come clean. I won't hold it against you or them. Unless you're just full of sh!t again.

lol.........fishing for compliments?? lol again..........

Serpent
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
No. You have the sort of ego that is always fishing for compliments.

However, you said that you'd had some "reviews" of me. I don't believe you so I asked who from and what was said. You can pm me if you like. I just think that you're lying. Again.

blooming lotus
09-23-2004, 10:50 PM
you told me what you wanted was for me to not PM you , so for respects sake, I'm gonn do just that. and make up your mofo mind for gads sake okay???!!!!!!!!!!! Take a kit kat babes..someones talking out of school and you got no idea who the focker is!!

write it off as bullshyte ................too dying to care!!!!!!!!!

later Serps :cool:

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Serpent,

Be a man and do your own research instead of begging at BL's feet.

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 03:52 AM
lol..

you do realise comment could nearly make the guy bail up and accost nearly every maer he knows........

I said I'd never tell, so get over it.

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 07:17 AM
speaking of pushups though, I bailed up the boys doing the performance shaolin you see several meters away from the songshan shaolin temple and are forgiven for thinking their saffron -y robes mean they're actually monks.......... and they had pics and demos of two fingered handstand pushups, and we all know Lipeng has it down, but how many "real' ( :o sorry Zhang Peng) folks can do this and how many and do you do 1 finger ????

IronFist
09-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Does doing a 2 fingered handstand help you fight better? What's the point?

FngSaiYuk
09-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Does doing a 2 fingered handstand help you fight better? What's the point?

The point is just being able to do something that few others can. It's like being able to balance the most glasses on your chin than anyone else. It's more the journey than the feat itself.

And yah, your fingers are tough if you can do a single or double fingered handstand, but that REALLY doesn't help you much in a fight and the amount of time spent working on that particular feat could have been spent doing more usefull things. But there's that bit of focus and determination that gets honed when going above and beyond what others normally do.

Ming Yue
09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Unless you rely heavily on spearhand techniques in a streetfight. (joke. it's a joke)...

Aside from demonstrating a very strong structure, one finger pushups are just cool.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-24-2004, 05:16 PM
It might be useful in DM. You can seriously pierce through thick cloths.

Unlike acupuncture where you have a willing patient. In DM, they are far less willing to get hit.

You also don't want to break your finger if you miss and strike something hard.

blooming lotus
09-25-2004, 12:30 AM
sorry babes, but Ming You err was onto it right there.it just looks cool....so can ya??? :p :D :)

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-25-2004, 08:34 PM
One finger Zen will make your DM very much stronger especially when they're wearing heavy winter clothes.