PDA

View Full Version : southern eagle claw

hakka jai
09-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone have any info on the southern eagle claw system & is there any sifu teaching it in the UK.

Cheers
Hakka jai

neit
09-14-2004, 12:29 AM
afraid i can't help you, but i will take the opportunity to add another question. is eagle claw immitating the claw of an eagle? or does it immitate the whole animal?

Pakmei
09-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Hakka Jai,

I believe the only style of Eagle Claw that is being taught in the UK is Northern Eagle Claw.

Julian Dale is the person that seems to be promoting the style in the Country, however I dont know that much about him.

There used to be another guy called Fu Leung, who taught Bak Shaolin Ying Jow Pai (Northern Shaolin Eagle Claw), but I don't know if he is in the Counrty anymore.

With regards to Southern Eagle, you'll most likely find it in style that have a lot of emphasis in Chin Na (locking and seizing) as their main grip employs the southern eagle claw.

Sorry thats the best I can do for you.

Good luck

Ben Gash
09-14-2004, 04:16 AM
The Wei To (www.hunggakuen.com) Hung Gar guys do a southern eagle form. Info and a picture here. (www.mousavi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)
Chan Hung Sing CLF also contains an eagle form.

Bak Kuei
09-14-2004, 05:31 AM
I have a manual which shows a Choy Lay Fut Eagle Claw form.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Maybe we'll need to start a thread, which is better, northern eagle or southern eagle. lets see where this topic will take us.

From what I know of southern eagle is that it has less foot work, shorter movements than northern eagle. It relies more on static stance and shuffle shuffle shuffle hit hit way of doing things.

Shaolinlueb
09-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Pakmei
There used to be another guy called Fu Leung, who taught Bak Shaolin Ying Jow Pai (Northern Shaolin Eagle Claw), but I don't know if he is in the Counrty anymore.

he is my sigong and very very good martial artist, probably one of the least known but best out there and his qigong, chi and grappling skills are unbelievable and rival many of the old masters. probably one of the best teachers there is around too. I would look for one of his good students. but most of them are under lily lau now. or i would look for james lau student. Lueng Fu and James Lau or Lueng Shum are teachers or their good students are probably who you would want to look for in a Sifu.

ngokfei
09-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Good topic.

I've seen a couple of Southern Eagle Claw sets on a homemade tape. Have it somewhere but been a few years since I've looked at it. What I remember is that the sets are not as southern as you would expect. More like CLF sets. They don't contain the long fist skills you see in Northern Eagle Claw.

Sifu Dale was under Leung Fu but is now a representative of Gini Lau. Very good skills.

Master Leung Fu was a pioneer in the eagle claw field. While his curriculumn is a mix of a few different arts his students are very skilled. I don't get into the purity of forms any more just how well the foundation of the performer is. Also he leads a very successful tournament team who has made strong representation in sparring. Lots of winners.

Either Julian dale or any of Leung Fu's students would be good to learn from. Has to do with what you are looking for.

As for southern Eagle Claw, I've never heard of a school teaching it along.

good luck in your search.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I think we know all about northern eagle claw, its southern eagle claw that is a mystery.

Who do you think would win North or South?

emre
09-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a couple of questions about Fu Leung to people who know him.

He doesn't look Chinese, why is his name Fu Leung and has he really mastered almost every form of CMA that exists like it says on his website?

Fu-Pow
09-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Found some stuff:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/stepstoinsanity/eaglelet.html

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-16-2004, 06:21 PM
emre,

May I ask why does someone have to look chinese to have a chinese name?

emre
09-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
emre,

May I ask why does someone have to look chinese to have a chinese name?

How many Chinese people do you know named Bjorn Svenson? ;)

Pakmei
09-17-2004, 02:09 AM
Emre,

I believe that Fu Leung comes from Malaysia.
You'll find if you've ever been to Malaysia, that there is a wide variety of cultures from Chinese, Moslim, Sikh, etc.

The most obvious answer to your question is: may be that Fu Leung has chinese parentage such as Chinese Father and a Moslim/Hindi mother. Maybe someone that knows him, can confirm or deny this. Not that it should matter!

You'll also find that many Malay people are actually dark skinned.

Regards

emre
09-17-2004, 04:47 AM
Yes, I actually gathered that from fu-pow's link. So he's from Malaysia, is that where he became master of almost all existing forms of CMA styles?

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-17-2004, 06:29 AM
emre,

None I know of, but it is irrelvant and a chinese Bjorn Svenson is not beyond the realms of possibility. Is it?

Pakmei,

I think the discussion of kung fu along the lines of race is a very unhealty thing which you should stop immediately.

But a valid question is why is southern eagle not as popular as northern eagle? any takers?

neit
09-17-2004, 11:03 PM
i work with an unmarried chinese woman with a western surname. unfortunatly i'd feel rude about asking why. but anyways if her name can be ***** taggart. then why not bjorn svenson?

Becca
09-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Relevant point, neit. I once work with a black guy who's name was Jesse Abdule-Raheim, who wasn't muslam, and didn't come from a muslam family.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Becca / Neit,

In any case it isn't relevant. People who study southern kung fu especially might border on the idea of chinese superiority. It tends to happen with these closed door village styles because they developed out of places that number a few people in a village and everyone knows everyone else. Kind of like the small town syndrome where cousins look like their uncles - real unhealthy goings on.

sayloc
09-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Becca

Could I ask who you train pai lum with in Colorado?

Pakmei
09-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Ego,

I would love to know how you think what I typed is "unhealthy" and should be stopped immediately.

I have no issues with peoples races, cultures, etc. And in fact I was actually pointing out a very relevant point about Malaysia and it's diverse blend of people and culure.

Afterall, I'm English with Italian heritage, is it wrong for me to call myself English!

In my post I closed by saying 'what does it matter' about Fu Leung's nationality/heritage/race.

Seems to me, that if anyone has an issue about peoples race and cultural identity....then it's coming from you... no one else.

Cheers

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Pakmei,

I wasn't talking to you :(

Fu-Pau
09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Pakmei,

wipe your shoe, you just stepped in troll doo-doo...

Becca
09-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by sayloc
Becca

Could I ask who you train pai lum with in Colorado?
Yep. I PMed it to you.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Fu-Pau,

I wasn't talking to you either. It is other people on this post who wanted to get all racial and stuff.

Pakmei, you are a friend.

Ben Gash
09-21-2004, 03:39 AM
I think you've pulled Pak Mei ;)

Ben Gash
09-21-2004, 03:42 AM
"Pakmei,

I think the discussion of kung fu along the lines of race is a very unhealty thing which you should stop immediately."

Seems like you were talking to him Ego.

Pakmei
09-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Lets just agree to draw a line under this situation and start a fresh!

It would seem that there isn't very much information on Southern Eagle Claw. Have to confess that I've only heard of it and if I remember back to my teenage days. There were some shaw brothers films that made a distiction between Northern and Southern Eagle Claw.

Whether the style actually exists on it's own, I haven't got a clue.
But as some of the others on this board have mentioned, it may well exist as a sub-set/form of one or more styles.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Pakmei,

Ah yes, SB is alway an accurate re-creation of history. Do you also watch SB to learn the forms in Southern Eagle. So who won, North or South.

We know that Northern Eagle beat the Snake, but was defeated by something else. Perhaps then the North Vs South Eagle was a prequal - if that's the case North would have had to have beaten the South.

yah, herein concludes the superiority of Northern Kung Fu.

Pakmei
09-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Maybe the northern styles are only superior where there is hard ground, as they'd have a pretty hard job jumping around rice paddy fields, river banks and marsh land like it was in the South.

Hence the old syaing "Northern Legs, Southern Hands!" though this qoute is a bit of a misnomer really! ;o)

But hey, when I was a teenager, I absolutely loved SB films.
If I cast my mind back I think the film was Invincible Armour, where there was 2 eagle claw stylists Northern and Southern,cant remember now, such a long time ago!

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Pakmei,

Yes, if you're buried in waist deep in water, my personal preference would be crocodile kungfu (given that it's fresh water in rise paddies).

It's no wonder why the foot work of southern kung fu is so bad (on dry land). A bit like a Sea Lion out of water - can hardly move or a beached whale. But in the water it can move gracefully.

The question is why you are training southern kung fu in a dojo that is dry. Souldn't you flood the hall to resemble rice paddy conditions?

I like SB too, great documentries on southern kung fu.

Pakmei
09-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Who said I trained in a dojo? Surely you mean Kwoon!

Something tells me that your not a traditional stylist! Shame

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Pakmei,

From what you say, you should be training in a swamp, not a kwoon if you want to be 100% traditional.

What are some of the new SB movies these days?

HopGar
09-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh, lord, we fed the troll..

"Ah yes, SB is alway an accurate re-creation of history. Do you also watch SB to learn the forms in Southern Eagle. So who won, North or South. We know that Northern Eagle beat the Snake, but was defeated by something else. Perhaps then the North Vs South Eagle was a prequal - if that's the case North would have had to have beaten the South. yah, herein concludes the superiority of Northern Kung Fu."

Wow, impressive logic. :rolleyes:

On the topic I remember something about southern eagle and Tai Yim, I can't recall it at the moment.

Peace

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-21-2004, 07:38 PM
HopGar,

Good to hear from you again or shall I say - thanks for the feed, I needed that.

Sorry to disrupt your train of thought, but not to worry, the historians of SB are sure to fill in any gaps re. southern eagle and Tai Yim that you may have.

HopGar
09-21-2004, 09:14 PM
do you want to explain your civil war equaling north better than south - I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I just doesn't make any sense. Northern is better than southern kung fu, there for union beats confederacy?! Last time I checked, anything southern is better.....(heehee...feed the troll some more and hijack the thread)(when will I ever learn?)

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
HopGar,

And when will I ever learn to stop taking food from strangers. Honest if you stop feeding the troll, it WILL go away.

Geez, the north vs south thing has gone on for so long (perhaps longer than the civil war) that I can't remember what or why it all started.

All I know is ppl keep feeding the troll and the troll keeps coming back. I don't want to hijack threads anymore - pls stop feeding me.