PDA

View Full Version : My Final Training Routine

IronMonkey
09-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Ok, this isnt a whole big one, just a normal light one. I decided to start small for now cause I dont have that much time and I want to play my xbox live games which are really addicting lol. I plan to workout every other day, and its kinda long, dunno.
Here it is:

ARMS:
Concentration Curls - 2 set/15 reps
Seated Triceps Press - 2 set/15 reps
Pushups - 1 set/endless
Forearm/Reverse Forearm Curls - 2 sets/10 reps

REST

SHOULDERS:
Side Lateral Raises - 1 set/20 reps
Alternating Dumbbell Press - 1 set/20 reps

REST

LEGS:
Narrow Dumbbell Squats - 1 set/15 reps
Horsestance - Start 30 sec. time :: Increase 5 sec. each day

ABS:
Crunches - 1 set/50 reps

Thats about it, every other day, and in the beginning of all workouts, I'll also be doing some basic stretching. Im starting today. Comments appreciated, hehe. :D

Toby
09-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
Remove both these and substitute for (a) chinups and (b) pullups.

Pushups - 1 set/endless
Endless?! :D

_William_
09-13-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't know what your goals are, but if I were you I would lower the number of repetitions in each set, and increase the number of sets, as this is better for training strength.

I would use a barbell for squats, rather than using dumbells. Since you can handle way more weight with a barbell.

This is my current routine, that I just did today. I do it 2x weekly. Some changes I might make are that I will add a good morning in there somewhere, and replace benching with weighted dips. Also I may add some more shoulder work like lateral raises to make sure my shoulder muscles are equally developed.

Power Clean - 4 X 4

Split Jerk - 3 X 3

Weighted pullups - 3 X 3

Bench press - 4 X 5

Squat - 5 X 5

Dumbell OH Press - 4 X 5

I think it would be great if we could turn this into a big workout thread.

Edit: Reading your routine, it sounds like your stuck with no equipment but dumbells. If so, you can add dumbell cleans and swings to your routine. These are great if you can get the hang of the technique.

IronMonkey
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Remove both these and substitute for (a) chinups and (b) pullups.
Endless?! :D

Lol, not exactly endless. Im just about done right now, pretty intense and hard, guess thats what happens when you dont workout in quiet long, hehe. And I would remove those two but I cant get access to pullup bar and I aint planning to go to park just for that hehe.

Toby
09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
It would be worth it if you could. Apparently you can get relatively cheap pullup bars that fit in a door frame. Search the forums for more info.

IronMonkey
09-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by _William_
I don't know what your goals are, but if I were you I would lower the number of repetitions in each set, and increase the number of sets, as this is better for training strength.

I would use a barbell for squats, rather than using dumbells. Since you can handle way more weight with a barbell.

This is my current routine, that I just did today. I do it 2x weekly. Some changes I might make are that I will add a good morning in there somewhere, and replace benching with weighted dips. Also I may add some more shoulder work like lateral raises to make sure my shoulder muscles are equally developed.

Power Clean - 4 X 4

Split Jerk - 3 X 3

Weighted pullups - 3 X 3

Bench press - 4 X 5

Squat - 5 X 5

Dumbell OH Press - 4 X 5

I think it would be great if we could turn this into a big workout thread.

Edit: Reading your routine, it sounds like your stuck with no equipment but dumbells. If so, you can add dumbell cleans and swings to your routine. These are great if you can get the hang of the technique.

I'd do what you said, Im always aware of how I can make my workout a bit more effective and safer. Thing is I got knee injury, I shouldnt really even be doing squats but I am cause Im not going down so thighs parallel to floor, just enough to feel some burn and muscle working. Yes, Ill take that into consideration, making more sets less reps, sounds pretty good, for now though Ill stay like this and see for a week how I go, today was good stuff :D
And yea, my goals are to achieve strength (but not to look all big and bulky, just be strong and look buff), I will work somehow on speed and Im working towards endurance too.

Vash
09-13-2004, 07:37 PM
my goals are to achieve strength (but not to look all big and bulky, just be strong and look buff)

Trust me, that won't happen. You're not going to wake up one day and say "oh ****, I got to big last night! I knew I shouldn't have done that extra set of concentration curls last night! Now my shirts won't fit!"

In all seriousness, get a home pullup bar. They will blast your biceps like a ****in' double-barrel load of rock salt.

IronMonkey
09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Toby
It would be worth it if you could. Apparently you can get relatively cheap pullup bars that fit in a door frame. Search the forums for more info.

Thats what Im kinda planning to do, go to Big 5 and buying one there (dunno if you heard of the store, but it sells lots of sports equipment and stuff).

IronMonkey
09-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Trust me, that won't happen. You're not going to wake up one day and say "oh ****, I got to big last night! I knew I shouldn't have done that extra set of concentration curls last night! Now my shirts won't fit!"

In all seriousness, get a home pullup bar. They will blast your biceps like a ****in' double-barrel load of rock salt.

LOL! :D Like I said, Ill buy it, heh.

KaiKhoon
09-14-2004, 03:09 PM
I have an old weider machine, and I took the lat bar from that and put it in between a couple rafters in my basement, it works well for a chin-up/pull-up bar.

Has anyone ever done dips ? I've never had the proper equipment to try them.. let me know how they work for anyone who's tried them, and what exactly do they work ?

IronMonkey
09-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Oh yea, before I forget to mention, when I start doing crunches, I tend to feel some back pain, lower back I think, and then after that I can feel the burn in abs and it goes away, is this ok?

Toby
09-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Dips are alright, but hard on my shoulder so I wouldn't do them now. You could also use dip bars as a captain's chair.

FngSaiYuk
09-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by KaiKhoon
Has anyone ever done dips ? I've never had the proper equipment to try them.. let me know how they work for anyone who's tried them, and what exactly do they work ?

Weighted dips are good. Depending on the angle you choose you can focus on triceps or your pecs. Also works shoulders/delts and sometimes forearms (w/extreme angles) as stabilizers.

KaiKhoon
09-14-2004, 08:12 PM
You could also use dip bars as a captain's chair.

:confused: :confused: captains chair ?

Toby, are your shoulders hurt because of dips ? Or are dips just rough on them now ?

Weighted dips are good. Depending on the angle you choose you can focus on triceps or your pecs. Also works shoulders/delts and sometimes forearms (w/extreme angles) as stabilizers.

Is there any other way to weight a dip than to use one of those belts that you clip weights onto ?

I also heard that if you extend your legs, that dips can work your abs as well ? Is that true ?

Toby
09-14-2004, 08:27 PM
(1) Captain's chair is the exercise where you sort of rest in the dip bars with your forearms lying on the bars like you were sitting in an armchair. Your legs hang down and you raise your knees up to your chest and let them back down. It's supposed to be good because it almost eliminates the hip flexors (like Jandas are supposed to). I've never done them. You could do them weighted I guess if you attach weights to your ankles.

(2) My shoulder is permanently damaged because of weights. Common injury. Dips would be rough on it. I never really got into dips, but they certainly stress the shoulder girdle.

(3) I do weighted pullups, and I just use a doubled section of cloth rope tied in a big loop. I can change weights easily and just loop it through the weight and around my waist. Cheap and easy. I'm a wuss so I've only used it up to around 35lb. Once you start getting towards 44lb plates you might prefer a belt or something. Same thing could be used for dips. You might look at Ironmind's website. They've probably got a good weight belt but they're not cheap.

(4) The extending the legs idea is really just sort of doing a captain's chair at the same time as dips.

FngSaiYuk
09-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by KaiKhoon
Is there any other way to weight a dip than to use one of those belts that you clip weights onto ?

Sure, weight vests, chains, ankle weights, thigh weights, etc. Chains can be quite helpfull if you're going for power... have the heaviest part of the chain dangle so it's on the floor, then as you push up on the dip, you end up supporting more of the chains weight, effectively working more weight at your strongest point.

I also heard that if you extend your legs, that dips can work your abs as well ? Is that true ?

You can always compound your exercises together to save time. Bear in mind though that if you want particular results, you'll want to make sure that you don't compromise your focus on a particular area when incorporating muscle groups in other areas. For example, if you're really focusing on your triceps, then you'll want to make sure that you're not hitting other muscles, otherwise your body will try to get oxygen in your blood stream to the other muscles, as well as your triceps, potentially depriving your triceps maximum resources and maximum work.

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Ok, this isnt a whole big one, just a normal light one. I decided to start small for now cause I dont have that much time and I want to play my xbox live games which are really addicting lol. I plan to workout every other day, and its kinda long, dunno.
Here it is:

ARMS:
Seated Triceps Press - 2 set/15 reps
Pushups - 1 set/endless

REST

SHOULDERS:
Side Lateral Raises - 1 set/20 reps
Alternating Dumbbell Press - 1 set/20 reps

REST

LEGS:
Narrow Dumbbell Squats - 1 set/15 reps
Horsestance - Start 30 sec. time :: Increase 5 sec. each day

ABS:
Crunches - 1 set/50 reps

Thats about it, every other day, and in the beginning of all workouts, I'll also be doing some basic stretching. Im starting today. Comments appreciated, hehe. :D

sounds okay really, but as alot of people do, you've neglected your lower back and your calves. don't forget a get stretch component too ha ;)

Ps: noticed you have knee trouble. Maybe some isometrics are good option for bad days.

cheers

BL

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Vash

I have no doubt some of you will jump all over this comment, and I keep hearing that same thing from several you, so I'll only reiterate my previous statements once.

At times when I increase my bi / tri / back/ load ( like when travelling with 70 kgs of luggage over the length and width of a country a couple of times for instance) I immediately and literally wake up the next day or several larger than before. It's dense and takes longer to "shrink" than if it were only a blood pump like directly post a weight sesh. Just wanted to be clear that I have your information and I disagree still.

Ps: disagreeing is fine though ha , so now back to regular programming

IronMonkey
09-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
sounds okay really, but as alot of people do, you've neglected your lower back and your calves. don't forget a get stretch component too ha ;)

Ps: noticed you have knee trouble. Maybe some isometrics are good option for bad days.

cheers

BL

Dont worry about any of that, I've got it covered before I even posted this thread :D

Serpent
09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I have no doubt some of you will jump all over this comment, and I keep hearing that same thing from several you, so I'll only reiterate my previous statements once.

At times when I increase my bi / tri / back/ load ( like when travelling with 70 kgs of luggage over the length and width of a country a couple of times for instance) I immediately and literally wake up the next day or several larger than before. It's dense and takes longer to "shrink" than if it were only a blood pump like directly post a weight sesh. Just wanted to be clear that I have your information and I disagree still.

Ps: disagreeing is fine though ha , so now back to regular programming
You're such a skinny ho that if you drank a glass of water you'd probably get noticably larger.

;)

blooming lotus
09-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I know you don't really believe that, but if you feel better by saying it, I understand. I even have 1/4 of a roll on my gutt today!!! Can't accept lil folk can get the job done, an so you work your as off to be bigger ha??

Dong babuor!!

I don't know what I know compared to the real " mastered " world, but what I do , keeps me alive in serious life circumstances and my religion prevents me from being a fat unexercised boytch !! I'm sorry you don't get me, but If I make it home, wanna spar and do lunch??

Serpent
09-16-2004, 12:51 AM
You'll probably just have a salad.

You also need to watch for the smilies. You overuse them so much that you don't really know what they mean. In fact, your excessive and chaotic use of smilies is a pretty good insight to the workings (if that's not an oxymoron) of your brain.

:)

blooming lotus
09-16-2004, 06:53 PM
what?? Animated, active and playful??? :p :)

IronFist
09-16-2004, 07:04 PM

While it's probably in your head unless you're a genetic freak, what you're experiencing is probably due to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. It's a little more than a pump. Don't worry tho, I don't think you're going to be Ms. Universe anytime soon.

blooming lotus
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
lol ............

I considered this, and I think what it comes down to extra work load + "travel convience food " ( IE :- more dry'/ complex carb etc because health/ food standards here don't allow for much more safely ).......

side note : given that, have to conclude that it doesn't take long for a conditioned body to change its' form with different input ..........

dong/ bu dong

and your thoughts??

IronFist
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Also remember the law of diminishing gains. Even if you are growing that fast, which you're not, you're not going to be able to maintain that pace.

Kind of like how a newbie can add 20lbs to his squat overnight, and an elite powerlifter can add 20lbs to his total in a year.

blooming lotus
09-16-2004, 07:35 PM
how you doin babe??

Maybe the reason for this is in longevity of desire and intention to remain on that particular path. No dude....., I am sure I won't retain, nor build on what I have recently accumulated ( largely because it's outcome is not my goal) , and in fact , a few days ( 5 :( ) holed up in a hotel, not continuing prev. wk load of 70 + kgs several ( +) hours / day + respective cardio, already I'm leaning more toward delts density, core in lieu of arm/ back and bi shrinkage........
( back to tri ext/ dips/ abs / squats/ isos / calves and doglifts, qigong, and stretches etc if you're/ I'm lucky )

the nube gets the jump because your body is still in "transitional " ( trick me...what are we doing again?" mode. To maintain that requires a certain intention and comittment, for the building ( though on another day I just may see you at finale), today, just doing what I can concurrent to trying to get the hell home!!:)

WE'll talk later ha ;) :)

Serpent
09-16-2004, 11:41 PM
what?? Animated, active and playful??? :p :)
No. Manic, bi-polar and scary.

blooming lotus
09-17-2004, 04:19 AM
:rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
09-17-2004, 04:29 AM
You're such a skinny ho that if you drank a glass of water you'd probably get noticably larger

Holy crap! That was funny as hell! I shot a snot rocket on my computer screen on accident on that one...(**** colds!)

blooming lotus
09-17-2004, 04:32 AM
small things and small minds ha :rolleyes:

Serpent
09-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Holy crap! That was funny as hell! I shot a snot rocket on my computer screen on accident on that one...(**** colds!)
Send bl the cleaning bill. ;)

IronMonkey
09-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Send bl the cleaning bill. ;)

Haha. Well to inform you all, Im doing pretty good, the soreness got down a little bit after training, so tomorrow (sunday) or on tuesday (since u know I do every other day) Im gonna increase everything.