PDA

View Full Version : 1st cheng hsin class

foolinthedeck
09-15-2004, 09:56 AM
hi all
i went to my first cheng hsin class last night. it was very weird. my body was screaming "this is b***" because of its condfitioning in wing chun to respond in a certain way. Despite the fact that i believe that the principles of cheng hsin are aplicable or even present in good wing chun, the training methods are very different. So i found it very hard and just couldnt do anything right. Partially this is because i didnt empty my cup as it were, which is always wise... but i dont know what the best thing to do is.. i already do some taiji which gets alot of cheng hsin ideas fed into by my taiji sifu (same sifu as for cheng hsin) and maybe thats enough for now. But it has made me want to train harder in my wing chun because bloody hell these guys are 'tough' i was scared!.. "effortless power" may exist in physical terms, they are like ghosts, i cant see how wing chun could neutralise it, even very good wing chun.. but its not completely effortless, otherwise it would be easier to learn!!

StuartM, i'm interested in ur opinion because i know that you know sifu, and you two have had discussions about wing chun before...

but anyone who knows of peter ralstons work cheng hsin tui shou, please comment.

ta

Vajramusti
09-15-2004, 01:27 PM
If you arelearning cheng sin- best to empty your cup and learn chen sing.

Somebody's wing chun can neutralize it- depends on comparative levels of knowledge and the chemistries of the individuals involved..

foolinthedeck
09-16-2004, 11:01 AM
yes and yes
very good thank you both

actually i had another thought while i was in a toilet cubicle - one of wing chuns strengths is in confined spaces, for your average taiji, bagua or indeed cheng hsin person this may be a problem due to the nature of their movements. this could be another thread entirely, but i think that as long as i'm in confined spaces wing chun has to still be in the cream of the crop.

the emptying of cups is always a good idea, as it is with toilets, "flush your own toilet" - maybe thats the true origin of the story.