PDA

View Full Version : Traditional or modified dummy, opinions please!

BeiKongHui
07-24-2001, 02:24 AM
Hi guys! I've finally got the $ to buy my very own dummy and I've narrowed my choices down to these two:

Traditional (http://www.woodendummy.net/wingchun.html)
This one is like the one most of us use.

Modified (http://www.woodendummy.net/modified.html)
This one is pretty much just like your standard dummy but with a "neck".

I've never used one like the modified version but I see some interesting possibilities but I know I can't go wrong with a standard dummy. What do you guys think?

"To the extreme!"
--Poochie

IronFist
07-24-2001, 02:25 AM
Anything you buy from them should be good quality. It's personal prefrence and monetary allowance.

Iron

weakstudent
07-24-2001, 08:17 PM
i would get the traditional dummy only because as you stated thats what you train on in your classes

then get the mod one when you completed your classes and are at the level to innovate what you have learned

TjD
07-24-2001, 08:33 PM
i got their traditional dummy and i really like it
its a little stiffer than the teak dummy we have at school (as in stiffer i meant the supporting boards that are connected to my corner stand that go through the middle of the dummy) - but ive loosened it up heheh

personally i'd ask your sifu, see what he says; he'd know what was best for you

peace
trav

what some people call "dishonorable", i call "not being stupid"

BeiKongHui
07-24-2001, 10:01 PM
What is your opinion of the corner stand? I think I'm going for that myself. My "Home Kwoon" will be a bit tight on space once I add the dummy on top of my Muay Thai bag and weight training equipment.

"To the extreme!"
--Poochie

TjD
07-24-2001, 11:20 PM
well its good for me... because i cant be putting holes in my walls - but in all honest i would prefer it bolted into the wall, i prefer the feel that gives me

i mean the corner stand is nice, and i really need to get some sandbags or some relaly heavy weights to weigh the corner of it down, because doing the various lopsaus and the moves where your directing the dummy outward, it tilts forward a bit which i find annoying; i just cant get off my ass to get sandbags to fix it :)

thats the only issue i have with the corner stand, other than that its totally find

peace
trav

what some people call "dishonorable", i call "not being stupid"