PDA

View Full Version : School/Style Ethics = Happy BS?

Kymus
09-16-2004, 12:47 PM
I was thinking the other day about how schools have "moral codes" and how it would be interesting/neat/whatever to add Buddhism's 8 fold path to a school or its symbol. I mean, you can talk about how it's all steps to goodness and being a better martial artist and warrior.

But then I gave it more thought... When the he|| do you go about this? When do you teach the students how to be humble in life and how to be a good citizen without having "sit down sessions" and lecturing. How do you throw this into a style? I understand it's important for little kids - and I could see it working there, but adults??

I've just come to the decission that all this is happy-horsesh!t that sounds good. Many schools talk about how they help build character in people, but do they really? Does it go f@rther (why is that word censored??) than "don't be an @$$ to people in class"?

Judge Pen
09-16-2004, 12:50 PM
If you're going to lecture them in life lessons, then you could do it while they sit in a horse stance.

MasterKiller
09-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't go to class to get lectures on metaphysics or morality.

The idea is generally that one who trains properly learns self-discipline and restraint through the long process, but I think the same can be said for any pursuit which takes a significant level of dedication to accomplish. You either discipline yourself to focus on the task at hand or you just don't get it...it's not unique to the martial arts.

red5angel
09-16-2004, 01:25 PM
it sounds funny but atleast you always hear about these guys practicing and while their practicing they get lectured on various things, so you could lecture as they practice.

If that sort of thing was want you wanted in your school, you could add an extra class each week, or take the first/last half hour to talk about it and teach it.

David Jamieson
09-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Don't be big on how and short on why. You need to understand WHY you want to include these things to training.

The obvious thing being to make a person responsible for their actions by understanding the need to temper violence and to work out confrontations without resorting to violence or to resort to violence as a last step.

It's not so much how. There are many methods of how. You have to have a personal belief in why. Otherwise of course it's gonna seem like nonsense.

mantis108
09-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't know much about when it's apporiate to "preach" but I can share this with you. I have a teenage student who started Kung Fu with me when he was 10. Back then he thinks video games are more useful in life than many of the exercises that we do. Anyway, he went through getting hit at the stomach, to being smack hard on the matt, to getting kick (accidentally) in the groin, etc. many times. The first time he got hit in the stomach he was in tears then it became anger. I calmed him down and had him resumed practice with the same partner but he started to swing at the partner for revenge. So right there and then I gave the "be a man or be square" talk. From then on gradually he became more focused (wanting to learn techniques). from time to time he would have tears when received blows but he would hold them back. When it is too much he would still be mad. Most of the time I will take a moment to check on him and do some small talks when he's hit. Last week, he got tapped in the nuts and he just said "give me a minute" while laying on his stomach and then he resumed practice with calm composure. BTW, his 12 years old female classmate was laughing because she thought it was funny which kind of made him embarrassed. He took it with good humor and smile though. Later in class, he asked for instructions for countering certain techniques voluntarily. So the complaining (ego) has been grinded away, and the real learning from a humbled person begins. It took a long time (3 years or so) for him to reach that maturity. May be one day he will truely appreciate "never raise a hand when you are angry." For now all the little Kung Fu lessons will have to do.

Mantis108

PS Good post Kung Lek!

rubthebuddha
09-16-2004, 02:10 PM
the way red5 described is the way i go about it. so many ethics can be discussed as part of physical training, and most of them can be addressed without the students having to sit around and pick their noses while you yap at them.

Starchaser107
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
the word **** is censored, so that's the situation wit that.
apparently its a really sensitive censor.

Kymus
09-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
the way red5 described is the way i go about it. so many ethics can be discussed as part of physical training, and most of them can be addressed without the students having to sit around and pick their noses while you yap at them.

lmao RTB, I like how you put that - it's rather true. I just don't see the sinking in when you have group lectures or have all the students recite moral codes together "karate style".

Kymus
09-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Mantis: I see what you mean, that makes much more sense to me than a group thing. I just don't see anything positive comming from a group recital/lecture. It's like what RTB said - everyone is gonna sit there and pick their noses. The one kwoon I went to that recited its moral codes in the begining of class - I never really paid too much listen to. Perhaps this is because I already have my morals defined?

joedoe
09-16-2004, 06:48 PM
But really, are we talking about teaching morals or teaching a training ethic here?

Kymus
09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Personal morals

don't lie, be humble, don't act like an @$$, etc

joedoe
09-16-2004, 08:13 PM
But I think that if you teach a training ethic, such as in mantis108's example, then the more general moral lesson flows from that. What you teach is "if your training partner accidentally hits you don't try to get back at them", but what it translates to in the bigger picture is "don't let your anger rule your actions".