PDA

View Full Version : Cost of lessons where you are?

YongChun
09-17-2004, 12:08 AM
I am wondering what the cost of lessons are at your club or if you don't want to talk about your club at some surrounding other clubs in your city?

I see a rough range here of $60-$90 a month. One club charges $140 a month for once a week 45 minute lessons. I thing that is probably the upper range. I charge people $20 a month for once a week and $40 a month for twice a week which is way at the low end I think. Maybe next year I will up it.

Katsu Jin Ken
09-17-2004, 02:47 AM
sifu charges $45/month, each lession is about 1 1/2-2 hours long twice a week.

Ish
09-17-2004, 04:18 AM
I pay £22 a month for up to 9 hours training a week, possibly more as a lot of the classes run over a bit.

AdrianUK
09-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Hi

I pay £20 a month for up to 4 lessons a week / 2 hours per lesson, but my instructor has a funny system, you never pay more than the amount you paid when you joined, new people pay £35 a month

Adrian

sihing
09-17-2004, 09:40 AM
A adult student pays basically pays $90/mth canadian for 30+ hrs a week of class time, plus they get private lessons anytime with any of us intructors when they have questions or concerns included with the memebership.

James

Ernie
09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Gary runs $60 a month you get 4 days a week
and i only do privates

but i have heard people pay alot more out this way

AmanuJRY
09-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
Gary runs $60 a month you get 4 days a week
and i only do privates

but i have heard people pay alot more out this way

Dude, that's an awesome price for instruction from Gary!!! And, yes there are some out your way I know of that are about twice that (not to mention what Rob charges).

Ours is a group of friends, and we pay what we need to, to cover any costs. Other schools of other arts charge between $70-120/month with varying amounts of classes/wk offered.

Neo
09-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I charge £30 per month here in the North west of England which is for three sessions per week. I know some of the local full time martial arts studios nearby charge £4 per lesson so I think Im fairly competitive. I have just recently heard an ex student of mine tell me an instructor in Kent charging £85 per month. Do any UK instructors feel this is way too much?:eek:

Matrix
09-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I won't comment on cost specifically, since I'm only concerned about value. Prices will range significantly from region to region depending on a lot of factors that effect the cost of living, and therefore the overhead of running a club/school.

I'm sure I could find something for less absolute cost, but I also know that I cannot get better value for my money and more importantly, my time. You can waste a lifetime in some of these places. It can cost $$ for so much "time". It's a nice way to compare commodities, not something as important as what we're all talking about here. Sure, I don't want to be taken advantage of, but I know that's not in the cards. So let the dollars fall where they will, in the end you only have your Kung Fu, and that's priceless.

Just in case some of you think money may not a problem for me, think again. I am currently "between jobs". So I'm on a little bit of a budget, but I've planned well, so I'm in good shape. I don't have a lot of money, but I'm very selective on what I spend it on.

On that note, I will also say that I need to stay off the board for a little while. I have a job lined up for next month and they just called this afternoon to say they want me to start earlier than we had already agreed upon. I have an exam that I must pass before I can start. So, since they've compressed the timeline I will have to stay off the forum for a few weeks. I need to focus 100% on this exam for the next 4 weeks or so. I'm sure that will make some people happy. ;)

Take Care, and don't do anything too exciting while I'm away. :D

Ali Hamad Rahim
09-17-2004, 06:13 PM
I charge $40. a month, group lessons four lessons a week, 2hr. a class. Private lessons are $120. a month one class a week for 1hr. and group lessons are free when you are a private student.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

Vajramusti
09-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Good luck on the exam and the new job-Bill.

Joy

kj
09-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Our regular dues are also at $40 per month, or $10 per class. After 4 classes members are paid up can attend as often as they like for the remainder of the calendar month. Two hour classes are held three times per week. Regular members are also welcomed to use the studio for additional training on off nights. On the rare times that one or other of our regulars can't afford the dues for some reason, we encourage them to take the initiative to host training get togethers; that way everyone can still have as many hands to work with as possible since that is largely the point of having a group.

There is always some other training event or workout being planned too, as a supplement to the regular classes. Private lessons are not offered, as we don't operate for profit and the workouts are designed to benefit and improve the skill level of everyone. Sometimes there is additional cost associated with the event, and sometimes not.

My number one partner and I offer instruction for newcomers, set guidance for the group, and generally facilitate things. However the group operates in a club type of environment where everyone helps everyone else according to their skill and knowledge, and everyone is making an investment. We don't invite or exploit sifu titles. It is our hope that when the newer or younger people get skills better than ours that they in turn will help us along even more than they already do.

We try to keep our dues as low as we reasonably can. At present, all the dues go toward rent. If anything is left over it helps to defray other expenses. There are always a lot of auxiliary expenses that don't get covered by dues, so a lot is invested out of pocket. If you add things up over time, it is a very expensive and time consuming endeavor to try and give away kung fu or get a good cache of training partners.

I heard that one of the other local Wing Chun schools was charging $70 per month. So dues and fees around here are seem to be within a typical range.

Well, that's a pretty long answer to a short question.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

kj
09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Vajramusti
Good luck on the exam and the new job-Bill.

Joy

Ditto. And come back soon.

Regards,
- kj

Shaolin Dude
09-17-2004, 10:11 PM
my sifu charges $60 a month for under 18. 3 days a week x 3 hrs a day. over 18 is 120 same schedule. mixed level class, and very few paying students

Sihing73
09-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Hello,

Philly only has a few actual active Wing Chun schools of which I am aware. The prices are as follows:

One school in Chinatown:
$120 a month with classes every day. They also offer other programs such as Tai Chi and Cardio Boxing etc.
Requires advance payment of up to six (6) months.

Another school just north of the city:
$100 a month and classes are 4-5 days out of the week.
I also think they offer other programs in addition to the WC.
Requires a months registration and advances payment of six (6) months.

Both of the above are commercial enterprises and the prices reflect the same which is quite understandable.

Classes which I hold are at a City Recreation Center. Cost is as follows:
$45 a month for twice weekly, $30 a month for once weekly.
Classes are on Monday from 7-9 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. Private lessons are between $20 and $25 an hour.
I no longer handle the money as I am notorious for not collecting and allowing people to train without paying. Now my wife does the collecting. Of course this just makes it easier for her to spend it as well, like all my other money ;)

Peace,

Dave

old jong
09-18-2004, 05:17 AM
Good luck Bill!...
BTW,I charge 60$ month for two lessons a week.The lessons are 1h45.
I teach ony two evenings a week because I want to have a life beside Kung Fu.
;)

Jeff Bussey
09-18-2004, 05:36 AM
Ya, goodluck Bill.
I'm going to my Kettlebell session now so if you want I'll email you my findings but don't open it until your finished studying :( :D

As far as dues we pay $75 / month for 5 days a week, 2 hour sessions. My Sifu may be breaking even on the rent. At one time he wasn't and that always amazed me that he was actually paying to teach us.

J

old jong
09-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Sifu may be breaking even on the rent. At one time he wasn't and that always amazed me that he was actually paying to teach us.
Ha! Ha!...I did that for some times myself!...;) Teaching Wing Chun is a vocation!...:D

YongChun
09-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Sihing73

Classes which I hold are at a City Recreation Center. Cost is as follows:
$45 a month for twice weekly, $30 a month for once weekly.
Classes are on Monday from 7-9 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. Private lessons are between $20 and $25 an hour.
I no longer handle the money as I am notorious for not collecting and allowing people to train without paying. Now my wife does the collecting. Of course this just makes it easier for her to spend it as well, like all my other money ;)

Peace,

Dave

That mirrors me exactly. I never keep track of who paid either.

Waxwood rod
09-19-2004, 02:17 AM
10,000 dollars to get your instructers certificate, signed contract.

foolinthedeck
09-19-2004, 11:28 AM
£6 / class
but if you buy two a week, you get the third free
so thats about £44 a month (weeks not calender)
£85 a month is too much,
but less than £40 a month and i'd be wondering how good the instruction is.

practicing with friends costs nothing

stuartm
09-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Hi all,

I charge £5 a lesson which i think is pretty reasonable, and my prices aint gone up in 2.5 years ;)

I teach three times a week, and so on paper in a month youd be paying £90 a month if you attended every class.

I do however provide certain perks for the club. Unlike some schools who provide zilch apart from the class itself, I provide the following:

- Certificate after every assessment and membership book on joining
- 3 workshops mimum a year with myself
- at leat 2 seminars a year at our club with my Sifu, Samuel Kwok
- Guest instructors at least once a year
- training trips , next year were off to Canada to train with Eric Li, and the year after to Hong Kong train at Si-Gung Ip Chings School
- dummy , pole, knives at the class
- seminar / syllabus videos
- private tuition
- discounted supplies
- discount for OAP's or if your genuinely struggling for cash
- website
- club socials

Because of this, our club is really friendly and close knit and the hard work has paid off. Because the students feel 'ownership' of the class they dont tolerate fools gladly.

Personally i feel students get a good deal, and a recent questionnaire i gave out came back really positive, except people wanted a wider range of club merchandise !!

Im certainly not aiming to increase my prices unless overheads were to take a massive jump

Regards, Stu