PDA

View Full Version : A Home for AMA

Oso
09-17-2004, 08:35 AM
well, I signed a lease yesterday.

it's small, just about 900 sf.

but, it's got road frontage on one of the busiest streets in town.

and it's relatively cheap.

the only hitch at this point is that I have to get liability insurance and I haven't heard back from the couple of places that are getting quotes. don't know what they look at or if they would decline to cover me for some reason.

excited and nervous all at the same time.

MasterKiller
09-17-2004, 08:37 AM
You know what sucks about liability insurance? The rules they put on you concerning sparring. Officially, we are supposed to wear head-gear, hands, feet, chest, cups, and mouthpiece. We are not supposed to allow throwing or ground fighting.

Good thing they don't do surprise inspections. But if someone ever sued, we would be screwed.

red5angel
09-17-2004, 09:19 AM
good luck!

mantis108
09-17-2004, 10:54 AM
All the best wishes, my friend. :D

Warm regards

Robert

MasterKiller
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
What happened to your old school? Are you going solo or just moving locations?

Icewater
09-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Just saw that you were in Asheville. If you're not a native, you've just moved into the NC city of fruits and nuts, be sure to wear your cup. A couple of place I know up there are...

Asheville Martial Arts (http://www.ashevillemartialarts.com/)

Shihan Wilcox's school The Center for Martial Arts

when your school is up and running, please send me the directions, I go up to Marion (just south of Asheville) to see my parents on occasion. I'd love to drop in...

Icewater

Oso
09-17-2004, 12:42 PM
MK, yeah, I read all that. I too hope they won't do spot inspections although we wear most of that anyway.

Just moving from the rec center. I'll now be able to offer classes 4 nights a week instead of just 2.

red5, thanks.

Mantis108, now more reason for you to visit !!

Icewater, um, that's a link to my website...do we know each other? Who do you train with?

I've trained under Shihan Wilcox and he is a good friend and mentor.

red5angel
09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Icewater, um, that's a link to my website...do we know each other? Who do you train with?

bwahahahahaha, I looked at that link and thought to myself, wow AMA, same initials, and that guys sure looks like Oso....

rogue
09-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Congrats Oso. I may have to finally visit family down and over your way this year. I hope to stop in and say hi.

Oso
09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
rogue, sure thing, and there's even a couple of dubious looking bars withing walking distance....

crikeys...is $1,000 a year normal for liability insurance??? Does it get cheaper the longer you go w/o any claims?

Icewater
09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Oso

Well, we may have seen each other at the last siminar with GM Rick Ward up in Wilkesboro. I just started studying Kung-Fu under Sifu David Ng at the Triangle Kung-Fu/Arnis Academy here in Raleigh about a year and ago. I studied Isshinryu in Marion a little more than a decade ago under Steve Cunningham for a short time and under David Ray some time before that.

I really enjoy KF. It's such a well rounded system and the instructors at the kwoon here are talented.

Hope to see you soon...

Oso
09-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Figured you were with Ng. He's good and from what I've seen his senior guys are too.

Smack Matt O. for me one time, though. Tell him it was from me.;)

Icewater
09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Oso
Smack Matt O. for me one time, though. Tell him it was from me.;)

That's asking alot, he's a large youngin. But hey, I've been trying to egg him into some sparring.

Oso
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
He is a bigun. Careful what you ask for.

are you working sticks w/ Sifu Ng? If I were training with him that's what I'd be wanting.

btw, I was in Wilkesboro last spring. we were the peeps in the green shirts.

welcome to KFM, btw, it's a funny place to be sometimes.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Oso
crikeys...is $1,000 a year normal for liability insurance??? Does it get cheaper the longer you go w/o any claims?
Dude, that's less than I would have estimated. Sucks ass, but that's how it is these days.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
BTW, no it won't go down. It's more likely to go up a bit each year!

Oso
09-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Serp, I've been plannign for 6-8 hundred a year but this is a bit much.

Does anyone recommend any of the companies that advertise in the ma rags? I'm currently getting quotes from local companies but plan on calling some of the ma specific companies today.

cerebus
09-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Wow, looks like you might have to go with the whole "Our techniques are too deadly for sparring" shpiel. :D No sparring should drop that insurance a bit. :p

cerebus
09-21-2004, 04:02 AM
Just do lots of Chi Gung and health-only Taichi and remind your students of how much deadly, powerful chi they're building up! :p

Oso
09-21-2004, 05:37 AM
yea, I had not considered until now that the insurance cost could be at least a minor facet of that pov.

both insurance companies did ask if I was specifically involved in the "Ultimate Fighting Championship"

cerebus
09-21-2004, 05:41 AM
LOL! Jeez, any time you wanna feel better about YOUR insurance rates, just ask one of the UFC promoters how much THEIR insurance costs! :D :D :D :D

Oso
09-21-2004, 05:48 AM
sure, but 1000 bucks represents about 12% of my current yearly gross income....but, it's time to make the jump.

Oso
09-21-2004, 08:23 AM
a little better and at least I got accepted so that worry is no more.

now, just got to move in and get some more students.

rubthebuddha
09-21-2004, 08:35 AM
progress, oso, progress. :)

Chang Style Novice
09-21-2004, 08:38 AM
way off topic Oso, but I thought you'd appreciate this bear avatar from another forum. I dunno if it'll shrink well enough to work over here.

edit - well, after fussing around in PS for a while, I have come to the conclusion it's never going to look very good at 50x50 pixels. Life is so hard.

Oso
09-21-2004, 08:47 AM
rub, yea, I've been stressing that for some reason I would be denied insurance.

we're going to move gear in and paint the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd. I should have some pics by then.

CSN, thanks, that's an asian sun bear I think. might be the moon bear though.

mantis108
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Well, I have to pay those ridicules premiums eventhough I rent from the city. It about $800.00 CAD. Their perspective is that if I use some electronics and cause a fire, I won't have to worry beside the nature of the "sport". But seriously, music box in Kung Fu class? Anyway, it is just another creative way of the insurance company and the building owner (they already paid for insuring the building and content!) in this case city to off load their share of duty and suck the end user dry. It's a sick business.

With all kinds of natural disaters (media sensationalizing isn't helping neither) and man make "accidents", we are going to suffer the financial burden. It's a sad fact of modern day life.

Mantis108

PS Oso, thanks for invite. :) will do my best to visit.

Oso
09-21-2004, 01:04 PM
yea, brother, it's a racket.

off to write another big ass check.....

Meat Shake
09-21-2004, 01:25 PM
"Dude, that's less than I would have estimated. Sucks ass, but that's how it is these days."

Yea, insurance is bouta*****. My mom got stuck with an extra, believe it or not, $1200 on top of the regular annual insurance payment because of some funky "mold" that has "been known to crack foundations".... Sounds like a load to me, but we dont really have much choice.

Becca
09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Mold that cracks foundation? Maybe yoy should study it, make a new age Texas spore technique. That'd be much more intereting that shooting chi balls out your eyes.

Serpent
09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey, Becca - take about a dozen hyphens out of your sig line willya? Your posts are messing up the chi flow in these threads. ;)

joedoe
09-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Insurance is actually why I started a sparring group outside of our school. We had to stop in class because our insurance didn't cover us properly for sparring.

Becca
09-22-2004, 02:04 AM
At least I only have two quotes. ;) :D

Oso
09-22-2004, 03:02 AM
i've never heard of a mold that cracked concrete either

and have you heard that killer bees have been spotted in Alabama?

I shoulda termed this thread a blog...

Today: Sign Permit.

Becca
09-22-2004, 05:10 AM
Killer bees in 'Bama I'd believe. They also have some very big black roaches with orange tracing on the wing edges. Looks like something out of a comic book.

Have fun with your sign, Oso!

MonkeySlap Too
09-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I just tell my students there is no sueing for any reason. If you can't handle that you must go, you've snatched the stone. No insurance company in thier right mind would insure me...

Serpent
09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
I just tell my students there is no sueing for any reason. If you can't handle that you must go, you've snatched the stone. No insurance company in thier right mind would insure me...
LOL.

norther practitioner
09-22-2004, 10:39 PM

Classic.:cool:

Serpent
09-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Becca
At least I only have two quotes. ;) :D
Hey, we all know it's about the length, not the width. ;) Oh, wait... hang on...

Anyway, ha ha, insurance, eh?

Oso
10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
well, we're in.

spent this past weekend painting and cleaning.

had first class last night.

class schedule is going to be the same monday through thursday.

5:45 Kids 8+
6:30 Beginning Adults
8:00 Intermediate Adults

Friday and Saturday are open at the moment. Gonna see how things pan out.

oh, and I just found out the 'Shaolin Kung Fu' school 6 blocks down on the same street is actually a Shaolin Do school.

www.ashevilleshaolin.com

norther practitioner
10-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Nice, congrats.. we just had our first night in the rec center Monday night.....I'm psyched, we're actually going to start a beg. class again, so I'll get a chance to instruct.

MasterKiller
10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Oso
oh, and I just found out the 'Shaolin Kung Fu' school 6 blocks down on the same street is actually a Shaolin Do school.

www.ashevilleshaolin.com

From that site...

In order to graduate from the temple, they had to exhibit phenomenal skills, and pass through 18 testing chambers. If they survived the first 17 (and there were those who did not), they would have to grip a burning-hot iron cauldron with their bare forearms, which would brand them with the raised relief of a tiger and a dragon. *sigh*

norther practitioner
10-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I like this one better...

The traditional ShaoLin monks certainly didn't get sash colors. They basically had one major test and it involved 108 wooden dummies, then a 300-pound urn filled with red-hot coals with a tiger and a dragon engraved on separate sides. If you survived the 108 wooden dummies, you then could still be maimed or permanently crippled by the urn. If you made it through, the brands on each arm told everyone that you were a true ShaoLin warrior monk.

JC and DC movies all rolled into one.

Oso
10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks, NP. We are digging the space but it's definitely small and we are in the process of figuring out how to fit into it.

Ming Yue is in charge of painting the front and it's going to kick ass. I'll post a pic when she gets done.

The SD guy has more than a few students...

...we're just going to do our thing and let the difference show...

anyone check out his breaking on the 'westfest' vid?

norther practitioner
10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I saw that.. I've never broke any of those style picket fence bricks... I was wondering how hard they are.

Oso
10-06-2004, 12:37 PM
they are not.

since they are not used for construction, they are made from a lighter type of cement.

he did a bunch of them though...but obviously paid for it.

norther practitioner
10-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, him shaking his hands after all that was pretty funny...

I knew they weren't the stongest, and the whole non consistant x-section would make them easier than soem others, but who knows... The only breaks that are really impressive to me is the 6 brick + and the speed breaks. None the less, that would have to hurt after a while, when you're going through all those, you have to break form at least once.

Oso
10-06-2004, 12:47 PM
indeed...not sure I'd even want to try it or if I could do it at all.

Oso
10-09-2004, 05:43 PM
ok, just have to give testament to my teenagers.

even though the little *******s were getting on my last nerve today. The 4 of them (with the guidance of 3 adults) painted the entire inside of my new space today in 3 hours.

Pics soon.

Icewater
10-10-2004, 06:09 AM
[crowd chant] WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS!

Oso
10-10-2004, 06:22 AM
it's not complete yet...maybe later today.

Ming Yue
10-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Pics are forthcoming.... I'm going to take some shots of our handiwork tonight and send them to Oso for posting.

Oso
10-11-2004, 05:47 PM
still working on finishing the painting.

the mantis mural is the product of Ming Yue.

Oso
10-11-2004, 05:48 PM
told ya'll it was small....

Oso
10-11-2004, 05:49 PM
reverse angle

joedoe
10-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Looks good. Doesn't look that small. How many students have to fit into there at a time?

Oso
10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
thanks, man.

it's 864 s.f. the longest run is about 45' which is good for line drills but the center of the space narrows to a bit less than 14'.

there is an 18x18 area in the back and about that in front. i'm trying to shrink the office/sitting area as much as I can.

right now I have about 12 adults after losing a couple to the move. only 2 kids so I've got plenty of room to grow there.

I think I can probably do 18-20 in that space with some creative management of who's doing what, where.

joedoe
10-11-2004, 06:06 PM
You should have plenty of room for that many students. I am envious :)

Oso
10-11-2004, 06:09 PM
i think so, too. we were just spoiled at the rec center with an open floor of 36x45.

i'm pretty psyched, it's been a long time coming.

Vash
10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Looks good. The mural is top notch.

Ming Yue
10-11-2004, 06:51 PM
It's a great space.

:)

Thanks for the props vash

Icewater
10-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Very Nice! I hope I get that way so I can take a peep!

yu shan
10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Looks very good Matt, can`t wait till your Grand Opening! We`ll do it up right. Have a local Chinese eats to cater, I`ll supply the cold beer!

Oso
10-13-2004, 06:33 AM
sadly, we do not have any 'good' chinese eateries in Asheville. Not enough of a chinese population. Some hella good sushi places though...funnily enough, the two best are run by the same chinese family.

but we'll do something big.

mmmm, cold beer.....

David Jamieson
10-13-2004, 06:37 AM
well, it really comes down to how much space your forms require.

it looks like a good space all in all though. looks good. Nice mantis peeking out Ming Yue.

MasterKiller
10-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Your mascot should be a mantis chewing on another mantis' head. That would rock.

Oso
10-13-2004, 11:10 AM
actually, we're going to show it eating all of the other classical kung fu animals:eek:

MasterKiller
10-13-2004, 11:18 AM
How about a mantis with a light saber? (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/kitikkeedkak/?id=eu)

norther practitioner
10-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Looks sweet bro.. good luck there.

Oso
10-13-2004, 11:22 AM
bah, any mantid type character is going to be a rip on Thranx.