PDA

View Full Version : 6 1/2 point spear form

bagelgod
09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Does anybody have a video of this? I have heard discriptions (like on http://www.springtimesong.com , but that is the most confusing discription ever.) Videos, tutorials, somethin.

YongChun
09-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by bagelgod
Does anybody have a video of this? I have heard discriptions (like on http://www.springtimesong.com , but that is the most confusing discription ever.) Videos, tutorials, somethin.

I think the Dr. Khoe version of the 6 1/2 point spear seems to be non standard according to Robert Chu and what I have seen elsewhere. The stuff posted on the website just makes sense if you already learned the Dr. Khoe version. There are some videos out on the long pole by different people. I like the little clip of Wong Shun Leung doing it on his tape.

Ray

Waxwood rod
09-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Is 6 1/2 point spear the same as 6 1/2 point pole? I'm sure you could put a spear head on the end of a rat-tail and have the techniques be effective. I am wondering though, is the spear commonly taught to other branches of WC? Why spear and not short knife? When will WC officially adopt modern fighting weapons?

Vajramusti
09-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Wazwood rod asks:

Why spear and not short knife? When will WC officially adopt modern fighting weapons?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pole and the DO helps round out wing chun balance, footwork,DEVELOPMENT and body unity-with the help of a short &
long stance.

Learning how to use a modern weapon does not mean necessarily mean abandoning wing chun body principles.

I have had two students in the past who understand just that- one a combat shooting champion, the other an elite armed forces sniper.

And in wing chun nothing is done "officially"---no pope, no bishops, no kings......properly taught, learned, undertsood, analyzed, practiced , internalized and creatively applied principles
are the real truths...IMO.

AmanuJRY
09-19-2004, 11:03 AM
I have to agree with Joy on this. IMO, there is little 'real life' applications for the weapons of WC, other than to improve your WC body mechanics and provide some advanced concepts.

Keep in mind that the pole and the knives, as weapons, were something in the posession of the 'users' - i.e. pole=tool of the boat polers, knives=butchers tools - not some kind of weapon specifically for combat, they were adopted for that use.

As far as WC adopting 'modern' weapons, I believe that is why so many WC (as well as other styles) are practicing FMA (Escrima/Kali) as well. They don't really comprimise WC practice and add an element of really useful weapons training.