PDA

View Full Version : Iron Thread

SimonM
09-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have any videos of the Iron Thread / Iron Wire? If so, could you post them to this thread?

Serpent
09-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Which one? There are various versions of Iron Wire in a number of systems.

Vash
09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm sitll waiting on Judge Pen's San njian video. But, he went and fugged his knee up to get out of making it.

Tricky *******.

Serpent
09-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Does anyone remember HuangKaiVun and Jon's argument about Iron Wire? That was dayum funny stuff.

Whatever happened to HKV anyway? Maybe someone finally went to his school and proved he knew nothing. I guess he's dead now.

joedoe
09-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Does anyone remember HuangKaiVun and Jon's argument about Iron Wire? That was dayum funny stuff.

Whatever happened to HKV anyway? Maybe someone finally went to his school and proved he knew nothing. I guess he's dead now.

Yeah, in that same argument HKV was arguing with me about Sam Chien. It was amusing.

SimonM
09-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Which one? There are various versions of Iron Wire in a number of systems.

The Lam Si Wing / Hung Gar Iron Thread.

Serpent
09-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Aha. I think you need to talk to Jon.

Somebody fetch Jon, please...

SimonM
09-21-2004, 09:40 AM
This may seem like an ignorant question but who is Jon? Are they another user of the forum?

joedoe
09-21-2004, 04:13 PM
No, he is a member of this forum who still posts very occasionally. He used to do Hung Gar so might know something of the iron wire form

phoenix-eye
09-21-2004, 04:25 PM
If you go to this link

http://users.skynet.be/sb018200/default.htm

and download the Chiu Chi Wai videos these show parts of the 5 animals set of Hung Gar. The "dragon" section (static part with lost of breathing/sounds) of the 5 animals set is, in a sense, the preparation for the Iron Thread set and some of the moves/breathing/sounds etc are similar.

Iron Thread is longer/more complex. I haven't done it but the above is my basic understanding of the situation.

That's the best I can do.

Paul

Steve Ventura
09-22-2004, 07:22 AM
In terms of the Lam Sai Wing version of this set,
Kwong Wing Lam had this set on tape since the middle 80's.
Dang Fong and Ho Lap ting versions are diffferent but the basic set is the same. Yee Chee Wai (Frank Yee) has a good series explaining the dragon section and the internal aspect of Hung Ga Kyuhn. My first kung Fu style was Hung Ga (Dang Fong line) and did complete Iron wire set. Iron wire could be a lifetime of practice on it's own. Tit Kiu Som is the founder of the set and made a major contribution to the entire martial arts world with this set.

David Jamieson
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Go Here:

http://www.kungfulibrary.com

By the book by Lam Sai Wing which is now available in english through the above site.

Also, I have the tape of Kwong Wing Lam doing, showing, instructing the set. It's a good version and Wing Lam is very thorough in his vid instructionals I'll give him that.

Of course there are other versions that look to achieve similar goals of strong core, solid bridges and rooted stance as well as instilling power and will into the practitioner.

cheers

SimonM
09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Thank you Phoenix Eye for those excelent vids. But does anyone have actual video of the Iron Thread? I am familliar with the book at the Kung Fu Library but can't really afford it right now (what can I say, I'm poor). :p

David Jamieson
09-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Those vids from Belgium and Poland featuring the Chiu brothers do not show Iron thread set.

BTW, you will get what you pay for when you ask for something free.

As well, without a foundation in the southern shaolin tradition I would say it is near impossible to learn this form properly from a video or book, but they are good reference material.

SimonM
09-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
Those vids from Belgium and Poland featuring the Chiu brothers do not show Iron thread set.

I know, they are nice vids of Hung Gar forms nonetheless.

BTW, you will get what you pay for when you ask for something free.

But seeing as vid-clip trading happens on the net all the time, I am trying to build a collection free or not. Notice, I did thank the poster of the vid-clips despite the fact that they were not precisely what I asked for.

As well, without a foundation in the southern shaolin tradition I would say it is near impossible to learn this form properly from a video or book, but they are good reference material.

Again, I 100% concur. I have a teacher in the form and have learned the first few movements of it. I just want an @home reference and was hoping for a video if such a thing were available.

David Jamieson
09-23-2004, 02:23 PM
can you get a video camera?

if so, learn the form, then ask if you can video tape it for posterity and for reference. Voila! :)