PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have old Black belt magazine or Inside Kung Fu mags from the 70's

diego
09-19-2004, 04:19 PM
possibbly early 80's?

I'm told my teachers teacher wrote an article on Tibetan Lions Roar...white crane, hop ga, lama pai etc for possibbly either black belt or inside kung fu magazine...his name is Alexander S. "Kaido" Polintan and he was killed around 1985 and started teaching in the early 70's so i'm guessing the article was done around the mid 70's.

http://www.geocities.com/tibetankungfu/kaitoone.html

http://www.geocities.com/tibetankungfu/kaito_emperado.html

kaido is the philipino on the left in both pic's above.

this is a longshot but my motto is it can't hurt to search...unless you speak rudely to me then it's on!!!:)
peace

cerebus
09-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey Diego. I have lots of those old mags but none with the article you mention (I'd know if they did, I like TWC/ Hop Gar/ Lama alot myself). I DO have an old Inside Kung Fu with an excellt article by.... Quentin Fong I think, on Tibetan White Crane. I also remember a mid-80s Black Belt with an excellent White Crane article, don't remember the author's name though. Sorry.

diego
09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Hey Diego. I have lots of those old mags but none with the article you mention (I'd know if they did, I like TWC/ Hop Gar/ Lama alot myself). I DO have an old Inside Kung Fu with an excellt article by.... Quentin Fong I think, on Tibetan White Crane. I also remember a mid-80s Black Belt with an excellent White Crane article, don't remember the author's name though. Sorry. is there anyway you could scan that Quentin Fong article?...I have to check my dates but the article i'm talking about could be the one from the mid 80's? i'll find out:)

diego
09-20-2004, 07:05 PM
yeah so it's definatly before the 80's...my teacher saw it sometime between 75-80!?:)

cerebus
09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey Diego. I tried to PM you, but your box is full. I don't have access to a scanner, but if you want to PM me your mailing address I'll photocopy the article and send it to you. Later. ;)

yenhoi
09-21-2004, 05:51 PM
i have like 30+ years of those mags from my teacher. maybe if someone knows a specific magazine and issue # I can look for it.

;)

yenhoi
09-21-2004, 05:53 PM
some are missing tho, so no promises.

:D

diego
09-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
some are missing tho, so no promises.

:D

i sent an email to one of the senoirs so hopefully something will come of that but i'm thinking my best bet would be to find out if reps at those two magazines can look through thier catalogs for a date?

if you ever bored tho just grab all you got from the 70's to 1980-81 and quickly run through the table of contents and look for lama-alexander "kaido" polintain keywords type isht:)

Cerebus check your PM in like ten minutes if you online.

diego
09-30-2004, 09:57 PM
upping hoping for more help:)

diego
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
upping again

and his name is Alexander S. "Kaido" Polintan, not polintain

FuXnDajenariht
10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
You know you could probably email either of these mags and see if they can do a back issue check for you or check a list of contributors....

diego
10-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht
You know you could probably email either of these mags and see if they can do a back issue check for you or check a list of contributors.... true:)

i went fishing for a black belt email address and they were onsome sh*t talking about they reps and we may get back to you and there was differant email addresses for differant enquiries and i just got bored...guess i'll go try again:D

Mestisa
04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
possibbly early 80's?

I'm told my teachers teacher wrote an article on Tibetan Lions Roar...white crane, hop ga, lama pai etc for possibbly either black belt or inside kung fu magazine...his name is Alexander S. "Kaido" Polintan and he was killed around 1985 and started teaching in the early 70's so i'm guessing the article was done around the mid 70's.

http://www.geocities.com/tibetankungfu/kaitoone.html

http://www.geocities.com/tibetankungfu/kaito_emperado.html

kaido is the philipino on the left in both pic's above.

this is a longshot but my motto is it can't hurt to search...unless you speak rudely to me then it's on!!!:)
peace

**Correction- It's "Z" not S. and he was killed in 1994.**It's "Z" not S. and he was killed in 1994.** What was the name of the magazine these articles cames from? I have the reference Karate Kebec but can't locate all the other pages. It would be great if you could post them all if you've got them. Thx Mestisa(his family member)

diego
04-26-2008, 02:59 AM
**Correction- It's "Z" not S. and he was killed in 1994.**It's "Z" not S. and he was killed in 1994.** What was the name of the magazine these articles cames from? I have the reference Karate Kebec but can't locate all the other pages. It would be great if you could post them all if you've got them. Thx Mestisa(his family member)

It's only two pages with the geocities pictures in your quote...there is two pages of text speaking on the tournament:) I have to use my friends scanner, I should post them before Monday.

Cheers,
James

diego
04-26-2008, 03:02 AM
have you seen the Kaido article in my Kajukenbo Hop Ga thread in the southern forum?. The webpage hosting it is down right now, but will be up soon if you haven't checked it out yet:)