PDA

View Full Version : space

mun hung
07-26-2001, 07:55 PM
What is or should be the sufficient amount of space to train Wing Chun in.

Example: to train the Wing Chun system completely, can you train in a small room or do you need lots of space?

Are you losing out because you're instructor can't provide a larger place for you to train in? Can training in a small space (garage, basement, etc.) be better in some ways?

Karate teachers can teach large classes in small rooms. Can Wing Chun instructors do the same? Why or why not?

Martial Joe
07-26-2001, 08:07 PM
I train in a square in my room that is about 5 feet long on each side...

When I train in my celler I train with about the same amount of space.

When I do SLT I barely need any room...I have done SLT in the shower before.

In conclusion...you dont need very much room to train wing chun...

Martial Joehttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

BeiKongHui
07-26-2001, 08:17 PM
I would think you would need less and less space the more advanced you get. I have trained to fight in narrow halls & stair wells and I personally would like to be able to fight in a phone booth if I had to.

Bad example but in one of the Wing Chun movies out Chan Wah Shun is under attack by a gang of other martial artists so he leads them into an alley where the lack of space limits their long bridges and high kicks. He then proceed to take 'em out. I thought that was an interesting strategy.

"To the extreme!"
--Poochie

old jong
07-26-2001, 09:20 PM
I just need enough air to breath! :D Small places are wing chun best friends. ;)

Jaeson
07-27-2001, 12:16 AM
It only matters if it prevents you from building training devises that take up a lot of space.
If you have room for the jong, you'll be fine.
Sifu Allan Lee can teach anywhere he wants.
He may not have a lot of space,but he has a lot of Kung Fu.

mun hung
07-29-2001, 08:29 AM
Good answer! Well actually, Jaeson...we're gonna have plenty of space soon. 3500 square feet in Flushing. Do you plan on coming down for another visit? E-mail me.

jameswebsteruk
07-29-2001, 12:16 PM
We used to train in a basement, I dont know, 20 x 25 foot? Split level as well. Got cramped, but was fantastic for awareness of your surroundings.

At one point we had students from another school who were completely stumped, as they had never been in a situation where there literally wasnt enough room to move round an opponent.

Made them think about smaller movements, and smaller, better angles.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)