PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Arizona Wing Chun Gathering

azwingchun
09-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Sifu Don Grose of the Tucson Ving Tsun Academy has asked me to post an invitation to the 2nd Annual Arizona Wing Chun Gathering. It will be held on Oct. 16th 2004, from 10am to 2pm.

Sifu Don Grose has asked that those who wish to attend to please R.S.V.P. by Oct 1st. He can be reached via e-mail at dgrose@comcast.net .

Hope to see you there! ;)

Vajramusti
09-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Sorry John.

I am not planning on going. Who is coordinating it and where will it be?

azwingchun
09-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear that Joy, I hoped you were going to be there. Hope some of your students can make it at least. ;)

Sifu Don Grose is doing it this year again, and will be held at Chaparral Park in Scottsdale, same as last year.

45degree fist
09-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Sounds good
I was there last year.
lot of good attitudes there
Count me in.

pvwingchun
09-30-2004, 04:56 PM
45degree fist

Good to here, it would be nice if we could get a good turn out again. It should be a good time, I am hoping to meet a few more folks this year.

John

Gandolf269
09-30-2004, 09:27 PM
To all in AZ,

I'm sorry that I can't make it to this get together. I was able to attend the last one and had a great time, and some great BBQ. I wish you all the best.

David E.

azwingchun
10-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear that you won't be there. Hopefully we will see you next year then! ;)

45degree fist
10-14-2004, 09:03 AM
The gathering is this weekend
I was just wondering if you have a take on numbers.

Also do you have a structured agenda on the event.

pvwingchun
10-14-2004, 09:27 AM
I talked with Sifu Don by email about 10 days ago and the numbers at that time weren't clear but it didn't sound great (15 to 20 maybe more maybe less). There has been scattered interest from different groups so as for whole groups showing up ????? but maybe some practitioners from those groups yes. As for scheduled events that is up to Sifu Don I really don't know the agenda.

John Widener and myself are really baffled (and have had many discussions about why) as I am sure Sifu Don Grose is as to why the low interest this time. I am hoping personally for a big surprise and more showing than expected.

I believe this is a very worthwhile event and Sifu Don Grose should be commended highly for attempting to get us all together to hang out, meet each other and share Wing Chun.

Bartje
10-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Guys-

I enjoyed last year's gathering, but unfortunately I can't attend this one.
I wish you all the best and I surely hope you will have a wonderful day.

rgds

Bartje

pvwingchun
10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear that hope to see you at the next one.

Savi
10-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but I have conversed with some of my sihingdai and as of today (Friday), about 5 members from MengsofAZ and a couple more of their friends will join the Gathering.

I agree, Sifu Don Grose should be commended for this annual event!

azwingchun
10-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Good to hear Savi......see you there! ;)

kj
10-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Best wishes on a fun and informative get-together. While it's always great to have a big group, remember, it's quality not quantity that counts. :)

Regards,
- kj

azwingchun
10-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you very much kj, and I couldn't agree with you more about quality over quantity. ;)

Savi
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM
My sincere appreciation goes out to Sifu Don Grose (a wonderful host and true gentleman!), Sifu John Widener (great to see you again), Sifu John Sterling (I'll have to visit you up in Prescott some time!), and Sifu Phil (from Glendale; glad to meet you!), as well as all the students that attended! There were eight members from our school that went, and if I remember correctly, about 10-12 more from the other families (including sifus).

It was great to see all the SNT/SLT forms, Chi Sau exchanges, Paak Sau/intercepting type exchanges, as well as Chin Na demonstrations, and learn of their experiences and knowledge behind their Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/Wing Tsun.

Sifu Don Grose, it was a pleasure to exchange ideas and system knowledge with you.

I quite enjoyed experiencing others' Chi Sau; it was very fun and educational at the same time. My hat's off to Sifu Phil and Frank; it was wonderful to Chi Sau with you two and learn how you train Chi Sau.

I felt that everyone was very hospitable and made the environment seem so welcoming.

Overall, I'd love to have more of these events as it has definitely created more friends and stronger bonds within the kung fu community. Looking forward to having some sort of Charity event or public service to help promote future kung fu events with the local communities.

Excellent job to Sifu Grose and company!

Savi
10-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Sifu Grose & company from the 2004 Wing Chun Gathering, I (or one of my sihingdai) will be doing a write up of the event in the Workshop Feedback Forum (http://www.hfy108.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20) at HFY108. If you would be interested in engaging in a future discussion there (once the write up has posted), I think that would be awesome!

Thank you again,
-Savi.

azwingchun
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone that showed up to the gathering this year. This was not too big of a gathering, though a lot of sharing went on, as well as some chi sau of course. ;)

We should have some photos up late tomorrow or early in the week, so check the our site in the photos section.

Those that couldn't make it this year, we hope to see you at the next years gathering.

canglong
10-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Grose Sifu,
You, your students, close associates and fellow Wing Chun practitioners that gathered today are all to be commended for making today's gathering the success that it was.
Having met you earlier at the Hung Fa Yi seminar you attended I was already aware of your Heart (tiger) and after today's exchange of ideas more people in our local Wing Chun community are aware of some of the impressive ideas you have in mind (dragon) for the future. It was an excellent gathering.

Thanks to all that participated and especially Grose Sifu for pointing out we can have a meaningful exchange of the mental as well as the physical. I look forward to future gatherings as well as different projects. Now That my email address is on the circulation list please don't hesitate to use it. Oh and thanks go out to John Weidener too ;)

Once again ngoi

pvwingchun
10-16-2004, 04:58 PM
To all who attended thanks it was a great time. It was good to at least say hello to you all in person.

Savi good to finally meet you (don't remember if we met at the last one) I wish we had more time to talk but Sifu John had me on picture detail....LOL. You're welcome up here in PV anytime it would be great to share ideas, I definitely see the connections between us all. I will be doing a write up also on our news page.

Much sharing happened and I think we accomplished Sifu Don's goal, friendship. I think if we all stay in touich the ideas shared about the next gathering can definitely make it bigger and also if we keep in touch the charity ideas can definitely be promising.

John

azwingchun
10-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Savi, can't wait to see the write up, I will check back often until it is up.

Tony, no thank you needed.....but thank you anyway.

I agree, this was a very relaxed and open environment. It is good to get together and have every one let their guards down and just enjoy themselves and share this amazing art (regardless of the differences).

azwingchun
10-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Anyone who attended the picnic that would like for me to share some of the photos taken, feel free to e-mail me and I will send them. e-mail: chandlerwingchun@cox.net

pvwingchun
10-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Good thought on the photos I can do the same.....

Email me at jsterling@cableone.net

Again thanks to all who attended hope to see more of you at the next gathering.

John

Savi
10-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey guys, thanks again for the kind words and making this Saturday very enjoyable! I began the write up already:

2004 Wing Chun Gathering (http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=742)

If there are any corrections that need to be made, please don't hesitate to let me know. I've written up to when we stopped for lunch...

pvwingchun
10-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Looks great already saw it. Thanks. I am working on ours it doesn't have nearly the detail.

John

Savi
10-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Thank you pvwingchun, I think I'm going to stop the write up for the night at the Chi Sau Session and finish it tomorrow. I might retire for the night. Are you already back in PV? I hear it is beautiful up there.

pvwingchun
10-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I am putting a link on our site to your write up. Yes I was home by about 5 it is only about an hour and half from the park there maybe an hour and 3/4. All the more reason for you to visit up here in beautiful Prescott and Prescott Valley.

Savi
10-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone, I just finished the rest of the write up. There actually wasn't much left, but I was pretty tired from the whole day to finish it.

Here's the link again:

2004 Wing Cun Gathering Review (http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=742)

azwingchun
10-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Just wanted to say that the photos are up....http://www.wing-chun.us/photos.htm .

45degree fist
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
I had the oppurtunity to attend this also.
Everyone was open minded.
egos were left at home.

I encourage Every state or county to try this out.
Networking aside its a good nonconfrontational way to see what is out there.