PDA

View Full Version : John Divirgilio

Vajramusti
09-20-2004, 09:14 AM
FYI

John D is a very knowledgeable wung chun teacher in Hawaii
and an educator. He journeys to China including HK often.
He posts some good and informative posts on the forum from time to time.

I was watching the History Channel documentary on Pearl Harbor
and there was John D. pic. and interviews. Apparently he has been on the History and Discovery Channels several times related
to his research on the details of Pearl harbor.

Ernie
09-20-2004, 10:10 AM
cool Joy
if things work out i will be in hawaii next month maybe i will look him up

Vajramusti
09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Good Ernie- I think that you will find John D to be an informative person. He learned from Robert Yeung( now) retired when Yeung moved to Hawaii after learning from Wong Long in HK old days.

I went to Honolulu's old YMCA (now gone) to see Yeung teach.
John D led the class....87 or 88approx.

John met WSL many times and learned things from him as well
specially some bjd work.

BTW

Be careful on some of the surf. With my clothes on just before catching the plane back to the mainland- i went towards the surf near the Turtle Bay Hilton. Before I knew it the waves breaking on the rocks nehind me had built up enough power to hit me from behind. My new shoes were ruined and I didnt have time to change.
Smelled "fishy" on the plane all the way back...I wasnt too poular on that flight:-
When you gotta catcha plane- you gotta catcha plane,

Ernie
09-20-2004, 02:38 PM
joy,
i learned my lesson in Maui wondered why no one was kicking it on the beach , so there i went with my girl got a spot , lit up a cigar and watched a wave cover us both :D

does john have a site or are there any other guys i should check while i'm there [ if i can talk my girl into it ]

Vajramusti
09-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Ernie--
depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do.

There are other wing chun folks besides John D in Hawaii now.
Not so when I was there in 87-88(approx).

Yeung used to have a website-see Planet Wing Chun jumpgate- dont know whether John D is maintaining it or not.

Ernie
09-20-2004, 03:35 PM
me i'm into what ever , when i'm on vacation i would be happy with a good conversation :D

Vajramusti
09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Ernie--
Here is a picture of John D with his sifu.
His wife from Shanghai is in the pic too.

Before going you may want to email John via KFO member profile.

David Peterson
09-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Met John in HK during the VT Conference in November '99 - a really nice guy and great ambassador for the art. He did what is quite possibly the very last interview ever conducted with my late Sifu, Wong Shun Leung, just prior to his untimely death death. Sifu Phillip Ng did the translation on camera and it is an all too brief, but up-close and personal last conversation with the great man on a range of topics that show Sifu in good form, clearly capturing his down-to-earth approach to life and WC. Thanks John for taking the time to capture this precious memory.
DMP