PDA

View Full Version : NPM from Hong Kong and Taiwan

Octavius
09-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know if there are any differences in the teachings between the NPM folks by way of Hong Kong and the NPM folks by way of Taiwan? I doubt there are too many differences in the principles themselves since that's what defines NPM, but I was curiosu to know if there have been any separate evolutions from the respective regions. I only know of NPM from HK by way of CCK or LGY, and the only ones out of Taiwan I am aware of is through Su Yu Chang and his brothers/students. Are there differences in the forms, the techniques, emphasis or focuses in the training? (Yet another Caveat: not questioning better/worse - just curious as to the differences).

MantisifuFW
09-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Octavius,

Historically, Taiwan was largely populated by Meihua Tanglang practitioners when the revolution came. Over time they took on some of the forms and theories of HK Tanglang but to be certain they are two very different styles.

You will find Taiwan practitioners use Eight Step, Six Harmony, Meihua and Mimen sets, primarily. As such, their definitions, terms and theories conform more to these styles. I have not heard of many of them teaching HK or mainland Seven Star sets, though many have studied them, too.

Conversely, HK practitioners have a corpus of sets that differ from the Taiwan versions and they, for the most part, do not practice Taiwan sets.

Hope it helps, as general a discription as it is...others such as Tainan Mantis would probablly have more.

Steve Cottrell

Tainan Mantis
09-21-2004, 06:54 AM
About Masters Su and Shi.

Su studied from Zhang Dekuei when he was very young, I think his first Shifu.
His later influences, the big ones, were from famous masters of 8 Step and Baji as well as Xing Yi and Ba Gua to name a few.

Shi Zhenzhong also studied with Zhang Dekuei, but it was after he had already started teaching MA himself.
His later influences were almost completely different from Su Yuzhang's influences(it is a list too long to go into here, but you can see some of it on the Mantis Cave under Mimen Praying Mantis).

Hence there are vast differences in the ways they perform and apply PM.

Octavius,
As for your question, I have gone into great detail already, maybe someone can dig up the old posts.

sayloc
09-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Tainan

Does Master Shenzhong Teach the same mantis as Liu yun chia (tony yangs from ohio teacher)? Or was Liu Yun Chia a baji teacher only?

Thanks

baji-fist
09-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Grandmaster Liu learned 6 harmony mantis when he was younger in Shandong under Ding Zi Cheng. From my understanding though, he did teach baji/piqua, mizhong, bagua, and Yang taiji. Most of the mantis material that was taught at Wu-Tan came primarily from Su Yu Chang. Tony Yang's mantis not only comes from Su but from his uncle, Wang Su Jin.

sayloc
09-22-2004, 04:30 AM
Baji Fist

Thanbks for th e info!

Do you know if Master Zhengzhong (pong lai organization I think?) teaches the same line (had same teachers or wone taght the other) as Master Su Yu Chang or Wang Su Jin.

Dont wory guys Im not a spy. Just trying to figure out who would be the closest to train with if the opportunity should arise.

Thanks

Tainan Mantis
09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
sayloc,
To my knowledge the only common teacher of Su and Shi is Zhang Dekuei.

I have not met Su, but I have met his students and grandstudents.

If you have time and the chance you should meet every PM master, and student, you have the chance to meet.

baji-fist
09-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi Sayloc,

I agree with Tainan Mantis in regards to meeting as many mantis instructors possible. That way you have a better idea which club or teacher is best for you.

The flavor of pong lai and wutan are a bit different. That could be in part to what Tainan said earlier in regards to various source of influence. Bajiquan is really emphasized in what I learned from my teacher and it kinda crept into our mantis. But I have seen old clips of Master Shr performing lanjie and it took my breath away! Either route you take, it is all good in my book.

sayloc
09-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys

AI agree about studyhing with as many quality people as possible.

I was just wondering if they were from the same lineage. I like what I have seen of the pong lai mantis. It seems very in depth and the movement is great. I have seen some of the wutang mantis and it looks good also, just havent seen much of it. Was kind of hoping tht the wutang had some of the same influences that the pong lai had. I think wu tang is closer.

Thanks again