PDA

View Full Version : cross training with wing chun and san shao

wingchunwsl
07-26-2001, 07:16 AM
cross training with wing chun and san shao... what do you think? is it a good idea? could you give me your opinions backed up with reasons? anything would be great. thanks.

whippinghand
07-26-2001, 08:15 AM
Two of my Si Suks represent Canada in the Sanshou division. They have won many times.

I'm not really suggesting anthing by the above, but perhaps their success with it may guide you.

El_CLap
07-26-2001, 05:53 PM
Is San Shou a style or an event? I always thought it was just an event with certain rules for kung fu fighting.

mysteri
07-27-2001, 11:17 PM
san shou is a chinese martial arts event. you might here of a choy li fut style san soo style('choy li fut hung sing' i believe it's called), but that's a traditional style or martial arts. san shou itself allows throws, sweeps, and takedowns, so in my opinion it's always a good idea to be prepare against those techniques. i would try to look for techniques that dont leave you too vulnerable to these attacks and even find simple counters to them using WC principles. some things you can get away w/ when sparring a WC buddy.(like a series of chain punches and heel kicks). but a san shou guy could easily be setting you up for a takedown of some sort, so it's good to be prepared for it. good luck!

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

tiger_1
07-29-2001, 09:41 AM
my friends wing chun have that many for traning im mean is anuf and realy wing chun have that good opportunity for creation so ... that man tho thinks can traning 2 or more styles of kung fu must find how good is in one . ( that many masters that litlle kung fu )- just friendly tiger_1 :cool:

/

aelward
07-29-2001, 06:47 PM
San shou literally means "mixed hands," and was meant to be an "event" where various styles of chinese martial arts could come and mix it up.

However, it has pretty much evolved into a "style." You can see that the best san shou teams out there train specifically for san shou: Jason Yee's Boston San Shou, and Cung Le's school in San Jose. Because of the point system, certain techniques tend to be emphasized more than others (i.e., throws) because of their point value.

On the negative side for Wing Chun in san shou, the 14-ounce gloves make it kind of hard to do certain techniques. Also, since it appears that elbows have been taken out, we would be at an even worse disadvantage at clinching range.

Even so, I think it would be great to work out with some san shou people, and learn some of the techniques (which are mostly kickboxing). I have sparred with a few without heavy gloves, and have gotten pretty good results; though I will probably never go into the ring on it.

wingchunwsl
07-30-2001, 02:03 AM
ohh i was under the impression san shao was the "chinese kickboxing" style. sorry my bad. it's ok anyway i have plans to stick with my style.

Martial Joe
07-30-2001, 04:27 AM
Personaly I think Wing Chun has it all for stand up.If I were to cross train it would be with Wing Chun and a grappling art...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Vankuen
07-30-2001, 05:17 PM
San shou, upon my experience, has always meant "free fighting", a word that encompassed the idea of anything goes combat (similiar to that of vale tudo in brazil). I have always used it in that way. If students of chinese arts got together to fight or spar, it was sanshou sparring, where no types of techniques were excluded, (i.e. strikes, kicks, throws, traps, sweeps, takedowns, grappling, and so forth were all allowed.)

Today however, it has seemed to adopt a sport aspect, where the players are geared up for a sort of a "kickboxing with throws" contest. Adopting its terminology and ideas from chinese wushu/gung fu striking arts, and shui jiao.

Its great training and I love the sparring drills...I like the kuai shiua jiao aspect of it very very much, the ideas of taking someone to the ground quickly and efficiently is a very good skill to have.

Cung Le is the shiznit.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

MIKSANSOO
07-30-2001, 10:45 PM
we call it tsoi li hoi fut hung. and it doesn't have the same lineage as choy li fut. ;)

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo