PDA

View Full Version : looking for muay thai schools in maryland

SevenStar
10-17-2001, 07:26 AM
do you know of any? a future member of this board emailed me and asked me, as he thought I was in maryland, and I told him that I would ask here for him.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

honorisc
10-17-2001, 07:35 AM
Kreimer's Karate Institute, Inc., had an instructor who did Muay Thai actively and instructed in it~?. (301) 695-3347; 1460-C West Patrick St. Frederick (entrance off Old Camp Road).

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Xebsball
10-17-2001, 08:25 AM
Doesnt Ralek live there? How come he doesnt train MT if he loves Sagat so much.

-------------------------
"You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
Master Deltoo
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

Ralek
10-17-2001, 02:00 PM
I don't think there's any muy thai in frederick. Just karate. I wouldnt' go to a karate school to learn muy thai.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!

apoweyn
10-17-2001, 03:52 PM
There's an instructor in Columbia. Not far from Baltimore. Scott Anderson. Haven't got his info on hand, but I might be able to lay my hands on it.

He's one of Ajarn Chai Sirisute's students, I believe.

Stuart B.

Stranger
10-17-2001, 03:58 PM
There is an instructor in College Park, MD.

I think we had a poster here a couple months back that was a MT fighter from Maryland or Northern Virginia.

Where in Maryland is your friend moving?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

LEGEND
10-17-2001, 04:00 PM
www.grappling.com (http://www.grappling.com)
Mike Moses teaches MUY THAI at YAMASAKI's.
There's a JKD CONCEPT group in GAITHERSBURG that teaches MUY THAI.

A

apoweyn
10-17-2001, 04:14 PM
The instructor in College Park, is that the place on Route 1? Up on the fourth floor?

My best friend went there for several years. Said he didn't learn muay thai, per say. But also said that he was extremely pleased with what he did learn. That he learned how to fight.

The Gaithersburg group is Mr. Krivka, yeah?

Stuart B.

Stranger
10-17-2001, 04:30 PM
I don't know about the location, but the instructor's name was something like Quoc Deng and his school was called World Fighting Arts or World Martial Arts.
What he teaches is the Vietnamese flavor of Kickboxing and the Thai flavor of kickboxing (they are nearly identical) along with many other styles.

I don't know anything about his program personally, but I do know that the instructor is a very serious war hero from VietNam (verified by independent sources from both the Vietnamese-American community, the academic community in America, and the US military.)

I can't vouch for him as a MA, an instructor, or a businessman, but apparently he has been training longer than most of us have been alive. You can link to his webpage off of Ross' San Shou site.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

apoweyn
10-17-2001, 05:41 PM
That's the man. And I really can't disagree with anything you posted.

That man is in better shape at 60 something than I am at 30. I wouldn't cross him.

(Hell, I got an elbow in the nuts from him just during a casual conversation.)

Stuart B.

thekuntawman
10-18-2001, 05:12 AM
mr dung is one of the best fighting teachers in the washington dc area. some people say that he is weird but show me any old asian that is not werd. he is the one who taught me to charge a high price for my lessons to separate me from everybody else, since most people will quit your school.

if you study from mr dung you will learn very good fighting.

Budokan
10-18-2001, 06:23 AM
Rolls, first of all you have to actually leave the house to find out if there's any other MA schools around.

Try going outside every once in a while, Rolls. Reality. Give it a try. ;)

K. Mark Hoover

honorisc
10-18-2001, 08:22 AM
"I wouldnt' go to a karate school to learn muy thai."

You'd be going to a building which is identified whith Karate in the name. You'd be going there to talk with or look at the Active Muay Thai person, who teaches Muay Thai.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Stranger
11-09-2001, 05:38 PM
^^^^
For Other Arts Forum

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Khun Kao Charuad
11-11-2001, 06:09 PM
Where in Maryland are you located? I'm not as familiar with the Muay Thai scene in MD as I no longer live there.

The three schools in MD that teach MT that I'm aware of are Yamasaki's (Rockville), Lloyd Irvin's (Camp Springs), and Quoc Dung (College Park).

If you are willing to travel, there is a new gym (just opened) in Washington DC called Third Power. Its located on 18th St outside of Adams Morgan. They supposedly have a Muay Thai instructor. I am actually planning on checking the facilities out because I understand that they are getting a boxing ring and will have the space available for classes to rent.

In Northern VA, there are also a few other schools. For instance, I teach at Owens TKD school in Lorton on the weekends. Trident Academy teaches at GMU in Fairfax (don't they also have a Woodbridge location?), and a guy named Danny (his American name) teaches over in the Falls Church/Seven Corners area. Danny isn't well known yet, but he is a Thai who is a former Lumpinee champ! He was my MT coach for a few months back in 1997.

You can email me if you like for more detailed information.

khun.kao@verizon.net

Khun Kao Charuad