PDA

View Full Version : Dr's refferal?

Kymus
09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
I looked into the laws for both Pa and NJ for TCM and it says that you need a referral for treatment in both states.

This is rather aggrivating because I need TCM on my wrists since they've been bothering me for months and I have no symptoms for tendonitis, arthritis, or carpal tunnel. I am sure that a western doctor will simply give me a cortisone shot - and I refuse to get that done.

#1) How the heck am I gonna convince my Dr to send me to a chinese clinic?

#2) is this actually enforced? is it possible for me to go to a clinic and have them schedule me an appointment w/o a refferal from my western doctor?

oh and #3) any clue on prices? I know it's not cheap..

TenTigers
10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
sometimes there are holistic medical centers that have chiropracters, massage therapists,and acupuncturists all under one roof. Sometimes they bill it as massage, or something else if the insurance wont cover acupuncture.

Kymus
10-04-2004, 05:55 AM
that's interesting, thanks!

herb ox
10-07-2004, 07:33 AM
I'd say acupuncture is going to be way cheaper than a visit to the allopathic (western) doctor. If you go to chinatown, treatment prices are even cheaper than for western practicioners of TCM. I've received diagnosis, a bit of massage, some cupping and 3 big bags of herbs for about $40. I'm usually strapped for cash, but I left feeling both better and like I got my money's worth. Beats the $2500 bill I got from a single trip to the emergency room for food poisoning - I left feeling worse (though less dehydrated) and had to stand in line for a half hour for my Rx - which relieved the pain almost immediately after I returned home. $40 vs $2500... I just can't justify western medicine's high cost other than for padding the pockets of hospital administrators.

just one man's not-so-humble opinion.

peace

herb ox

Kymus
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
I am majoring in TCM actually, so I naturally prefer to avoid any sort of Western Doctor. I find that what they do only lessens the problem, but does not get rid of it. The problem with my wrists, is that I have no symptoms for anything, and all a western docotr will do is hit me up with a cortizone shot (which I refuse to take) and that will only numb things, not heal. TCM is the only way for me - especially with this. It's just a matter of time and money. Thank you tho, Herb Ox, for the insight ;)