PDA

View Full Version : Questions from 13 year olds regarding Wing Chun

YongChun
09-21-2004, 02:40 PM
A few years ago someone asked if I would be interested to teach a workshop to some 13 year old school students. I said sure. The workshop was only about an hour long. At the end of the workshop I had question and answer period. Here are some of the questions I got that you need to prepare for in events like these:

1. Male student #1:
Can you rip a guy’s heart out?

2. Male student #2:
Can you beat up Bruce Lee?

3. Male student #3:
What if me and my friends have AK47’s. How do you handle that huh?

4. Female student #1:
What would you do if like a lion jumps on your back?

5. Male student #4:
Yah, what if a Pit Bull tears into you then I like to see you handle that.

Answers:

1. That shouldn't be too hard.
2. I think so, especially now.
3. I'd use a nuclear bomb.
4. I'd turn it inside out like Sampson did and then rip it's heart out.
5. Ok, if I have time.

After that I decided not to give workshops to these kind of immature kids anymore although it was very entertaining.

PaulH
09-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Ray, charming story! I would suggest that you find the ringleader of the youth and literally shell shock him badly the next time. Then they will listen and behave nicely. Yes, I did it quite a few times. =)

Miles Teg
09-21-2004, 04:16 PM
"3. I'd use a nuclear bomb."

hahahahaha!!!! LOL!! Thats hilarious!

Vajramusti
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Ray- those are good reasons for avoiding many 13 year olds
with respect to teaching CMA in any depth.
But adults can ask silly questions too.

In a Phoenix seminar an adult asked my sifu...in the middle 1980s-
""What if someone is put face down on the ground and is controlled by the guy on top who also has a loaded gun with a hair trigger, pointing at and touching that someone's head. ?""

Answer- "could be Jesus time"

Red Rain
09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Question:

3. Male student #3:
What if me and my friends have AK47’s. How do you handle that huh?
Answer:
3. I'd use a nuclear bomb. I am familiar with the phrase there is no such thing as a stupid question, I am unfamiliar with the phrase there is no such thing as a stupid answer.

Miles Teg
09-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Are you familar with the expression:
"Ask a silly question and you get a silly answer".

Red Rain
09-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Miles
but they are 13 and he is supposed to be teaching them not the other way 'round IMO.

SPJ
09-21-2004, 10:18 PM
These are all practical Q's. They may be grafically violent, though.

The questions usually mirror the fears of the askers.

I would answer the other way.

1) If you learn WC and place both of your hands and guard your center line, the bad guy would have hard time to go anywhere near your heart. He will be Tan Sao, Lan Sao, Jie Sao or Pai Sao out of your shoulder line.

Oh I remember Indiana Jones has scenes like that. Guess what Indie shot the heart ripper. No more nitemare ok. And do not shoot me or any WC'er. We have Buddha in our heart.

2) Bruce Lee is my Childhood hero. He is Kato in Green Hornet. Why would I beat the good guy? Bruce Lee is very good at WC. His teacher is Yip Man. Bruce Lee is a teacher and idol to me and a lot of people. We do not fight our teacher or friends.

3) WC vs Ak47. If some of your class carry an assault weapon, you may call the police and they go to jail. For example the Columbine in Ohio. They think they are Nil and trinity in the matrix with trench coats on. Again you do not fight your classmates, you fight the bad guys out of defense. You are right, empty fist is no match for the speed of the bullets. So run for a cover and call 911. Let the police and SWAP team do the fight for you. By the way, some specical force in US also trained in WC.

4) Play dead. And grab something sharp to poke his eyes.

5) Kick every hard and break his back. Or grab and shut his snout and tie it up with a rope or a muzzle. Call 911 for first aid. The police will shoot the dog.

Peace.

YongChun
09-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Red Rain
Miles
but they are 13 and he is supposed to be teaching them not the other way 'round IMO.

If these kids were serious then that's true. But they were all feeding off each other and being a bunch of wise guys with a lot of joking and laughing. They thought martial artists were stupid at least in public they wanted to put out that feeling. They asked a lot more ridiculous questions too. None were really serious questions. Serious questions got real answers.

jesper
09-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Used to tell my recruits

There is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid people :)

Miles Teg
09-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Exactly, these kids didnt ask questions with the intention to learn, they asked with the intention make everyone else laugh. If they want to laugh give them funny answers.

You could have even given them the answers they may have wanted to hear:
1. I do it all the time, I did it on a gang member yesterday.
2. The spirit of Bruce went into me when he died.
3. I would dodge all the bullets with my fast kung fu reflexes before getting the guns off you and crushing them to pieces in my kung fu grip.
4. I would grab the lions whiskers and through him over my back judo style
5. I would use invisable chi power to knock it out before it got near me.

Jeff Bussey
09-22-2004, 03:17 AM
This reminds me of the time when I was about that age and I was taking Jiu-Jitsu. There was a kid talking in class while the Sensei was talking so he called that kid up so he could demonstrate the technique.
We used to train with alot of groin strikes after taking someone to the ground so when the Sensei took the kid down and did the groin strike he grab him by the pants and literally ripped the pants right off of him.
He was left there with just a jock strap on and the top part of his gi. I thought it was funny as hell but didn't dare laugh out loud. There's something to be said for intimidation ;)

J

SPJ
09-22-2004, 07:35 AM
MT;

You are wise.

Cheers.

:)

Atleastimnotyou
09-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SPJ

3) WC vs Ak47. If some of your class carry an assault weapon, you may call the police and they go to jail. For example the Columbine in Ohio. They think they are Nil and trinity in the matrix with trench coats on. Again you do not fight your classmates, you fight the bad guys out of defense. You are right, empty fist is no match for the speed of the bullets. So run for a cover and call 911. Let the police and SWAP team do the fight for you. By the way, some specical force in US also trained in WC.

actually, The shooting at Columbine High School happened near Littleton, Colorado. A county called Jefferson to be exact. That is a long way away from Ohio

Edit: the matrix was release on March 31 nationwide. the shootings happened on April 20th. The movie prolly had little influence, cuz the plans for the shooting probably started way before then.

anerlich
09-22-2004, 03:52 PM
WC vs Ak47.

Just say. "OK. Let's go. Now. What, you don't have your Kalashnikov with you? Muhahahah!"

Of course, if the kid pulls an automatic weapon out of his backpack, dive out the nearest window and run - which is the serious answer to the question.

"but they are 13 and he is supposed to be teaching them not the other way 'round IMO."

Yeah, they're 13. They're not idiots, and should be able to appreciate ironic humour.

SPJ
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Yes.

ALINY;

You have spoken the correct. It is in Colorado.

I like Colorado so much. The higher and higher mountain ranges, snow all year long. My avatar is a bear eating snow. The snow muncher.

You have made the right corrections.

Peace.

:D

quiet man
09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Speaking of silly questions adults ask:

One of the students once asked my sifu "When do we get to learn to fly?"
And sifu did the only thing he could - bent his knees slightly, grabbed the guy by the elbows... and with a lift-up, he let him fly :D

reneritchie
09-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I had a dumb@$$ friend in high school who went to a local ninja teacher for classes. The guy was showing how to grab the hair to do some ninja-pokas, and the dumb@$$ asked:

"What if he has no hair?"

Captain Ninja replied:

"Grab his ear."

"What if he has no ears...?"

It got to the point where the strawman was blind and had a chainsaw (I kid you not), and Captain Ninja, finally having had enough, simple said:

"Step to the side and run away; he's blind and can't see you, and the chainsaw will cover whatever sound his missing ears pick up..."

black and blue
09-24-2004, 10:39 AM
You can joke all you like, Rene.... real ultimate power is not for the masses!

Facts:

_1.___ Ninjas are mammals.

2.___ Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3.___ The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

www.realultimatepower.net

Still THE best MA website on the entire planet, and the funkiest music too!

black and blue
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
You can joke all you like, Rene.... real ultimate power is not for the masses!

Facts:

_1.___ Ninjas are mammals.

2.___ Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3.___ The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

www.realultimatepower.net

Still THE best MA website on the entire planet, and the funkiest music too!

quiet man
09-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey b&b, you really in Hungary? If you should come to Zagreb by any chance (hey, it's only like 350 km away :D ), I'll give you a free tour and even take you to my kwoon, where they can make sure you live up to your name :D ;)

Jeff Bussey
09-26-2004, 04:45 AM
Hey B&B,

From the website you posted:

Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.

These guys are just having fun right? I can't stop laughing, please tell me this is a spoof site?

J

Jeff Bussey
09-26-2004, 04:47 AM
OK
Now I feel stupid for even asking as I'm reading more on their site.
Thanks for the laugh

J

black and blue
09-26-2004, 06:20 AM
:) Whenever stress in the office reaches breaking point I visit that website and realise that stupid stories and dumbar*se music can make my day seem a little lighter.

Quiet Man -

Drove past Zagreb in early September on the way to the coast (Makarsca - sp?). Lovely little place - some nice restaurants, nice beach - chilled out for just over a week. The downside.... a 16 hour drive from Budapest (in part because of the awful traffic). Have vowed never to drive more than fours no matter what the reason!

:)

Are you WT? Does your club have any links with Maday Norbert in Hungary?

quiet man
09-26-2004, 06:43 AM
It's spelled 'Makarska'. Nice, yes, but there are nicer.

Yes, I'm WT (or WC, or VT...). And no, no links with Maday Norbert (he's Leung Ting's lineage, I think, and I'm WSL's).

Actually, I'm thinking of coming to Hungary in December, for the Women's European Handball Championship (big fan of Norway's team). Maybe I'll see you then ;) ...

El Tejon
09-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Jeff, yes, a couple of Michigan State University students having fun.:) These college kids today! Back in my day we were busy drinking beer and chasing girls, er, um, running, doing push ups and polishing our forms, sifu, sir.:D

I help my sihing teach a kids' WC program at one of the YMCAs here. One of our students asked the same question. I looked him dead in the eye and said "that's why your sifu and I always carry our own guns."

Subject has not been raised since then!:D :cool: