PDA

View Full Version : Teachers in Brisbane, Australia.

JasonC
07-26-2001, 12:50 AM
hello,
Does anyone know of any Wing Chun teachers in Brisbane, Australia? I would prefer to find someone who teaches in a small non commercial class if I could, even though I know this is hard to find. I have 3 years experience in wing chun, though over the last few months I have not been practicing much at all.
thanks for any help

JasonC
07-26-2001, 01:59 PM
could anyone who know's of such a teacher please reply to me at nhoj17@hotmail.com thank you.

Rill
07-27-2001, 06:08 AM
Hi Jason,

Off the top of my head I can only think of one school in Brisbane. I can't think of the name, I think it might be Alfredo del Brocco's school. He's one of William Cheungs students - enter at your own risk ;)

Try looking in the back of a Blitz magazine at a newsagent for the Australian MA club listings, they have a few in there.

Gluteus Maximus
07-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Here you go Jason:

Brisbane Kung Fu & Tai Chi Centres
P.O. Box 433 Kenmore, Brisbane, Queensland, 4069
Tel/Fax: (617) 33740608
Mobile: 0418 783 783
Email: tomlo@powerup.com.au
Notes: Headquarters - Holy Family Church Hall, Cnr Ward St. & Central Ave., Indooroopilly. Beginners classes every Tues. & Thurs. from 6:00 P.M.-8:30 P.M., Tai Chi 6:00 P.M.-7:00 P.M. & Kung Fu 7:00 P.M.-8:30 P.M. Master Sifu Tom Lo has over 25 years teaching experience in Australia and overseas, with branches throughout Brisbane and suburbs. Traditional forms and weaponry, group and private lessons available, with first introductory lesson free.

Brisbane Wing Chun Academy
248 Postle Street, Acacia Ridge, Brisbane, Queensland 4110
Tel: 33666724
Email: tsangd@ozemail.com.au
WWW: www.ozemail.com.au/~tsangd/ (http://www.ozemail.com.au/~tsangd/)
Notes: The Academy teaches Wing Chun and Philipino Arnis/Escrima. The Academy is a branch of the Canberra Wing Chun Academy.

Queensland Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy
P.O. Box 3062, Norman Park, Brisbane, Queensland 4170
Tel: 3349 6394
Email: k.burton@globec.com.au

Rasmus Wing Chun Federation
Tel: 0407 550004
Email: rasmuswingchun@hotmail.com
Notes: Discover the power of Internal Wing Chun in a relaxed friendly environment.

Wing Chun Kung Fu Organisation
2nd & 3rd Levels, 51 Edward Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Tel: (07) 3229 8694
Email: adb.wwckfa@fox.uq.net.au
WWW: www.uq.edu.au/~zzadelbr (http://www.uq.edu.au/~zzadelbr)
Notes: Full-time training facilities offering 38 classes per week on two fully-equipped floors. Also suburban branches located at The Gap, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Shailer Park & Ulverstone Tasmania. Our Kwoon is affiliated with Sifu Rick Spain's Wing Chun Academy in Surry Hills, New South Wales, Australia.

Max

To know the unseen, you must first learn to see.

anerlich
07-27-2001, 08:09 AM
The most up to date info on Alfredo del-Brocco's and affilliate schools can be found at
WCKFO.COM.AU (http://www.wckfo.com.au)

Whilst Alfredo del-Brocco indeed studied and operated a school under GM Cheung and the WWCKFA for a long time, he is now affiliated with the Wing Chun Kung fu Organisation of Australasia headed by Rick Spain. Both gentlemen left the WWCKFA several years ago.
The WCKFO is also an associate of the Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu organisation and offers instruction in that art also, as well as CQC knife and baton under the curriculum of the Congress of American Knife Fighters..

I don't know why the previous poster suggested "entering at your own risk", though this would of course apply to any martial arts school.
While I understand the original poster's desire to find a small school with close and individual tuition, a person such as Alf del-Brocco who practices and teaches martial arts as a full-time professional has certain commercial realities to face in order to make this viable. I would take exception to the view that such an approach necessitates reduced quality of instruction. As the student of such an organisation can have access to more classes, and more equipment available only in private premises as opposed to scout and church halls, etc., the training environment has much greater scope for improvement.

Of course, I'm biased, Alfredo is my si-hing.

Rill
07-27-2001, 08:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't know why the previous poster suggested "entering at your own risk", though this would of course apply to any martial arts school. [/quote]

I was simply making a veiled reference to the validity of someone of Cheungs lineage and their teachings. I could continue, but with the amount of posts regarding insulting other lineages right now, I can't be bothered :)

Jason - indeed, beware of any martial arts school that puts you on an enforceable contract (much like Go Kan Ru schools do) after the first lesson. Good luck.

Anarcho
07-28-2001, 02:58 PM
I've noticed that some people tend to be alot more caught up in politics than others. Rill, does your sifu talk about wing chun politics with his students? Or is it something you pursue on your own time?

Rill
07-28-2001, 03:30 PM
We hear the occasional tales of glory and woe in regards to WC, but I mostly make my own judgments based on what I read and see.

Politically, I have no interest whatsoever.

Generally, I think I just like to whinge a lot :)

Anarcho
07-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Nothing wrong with a good whinge. ;)

greedy
07-29-2001, 04:16 AM
I think another of si-gung Cheung's instructors, sifu Tony White, teaches in Brisbane. I have never met the man, but his students are quite capable.