PDA

View Full Version : OT: childrens' stories/fables in chinese

KC Elbows
09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey, if anyone could hook me up with links to stuff in chinese, just kids stuff, got plenty of tutorial stuff as it is, it would be much appreciated. I'm specifically wanting things written in chinese characters, due to the childish state of my chinese.

And, to save certain members typing time, feel free to simply type the number of your choice below should your reply correspond with those listed:

1) "Is it international tourist week at Neverland?"

2) "I knew you were a small chinese boy, if you know what I mean."

3) "I knew you were a small chinese girl, if you know what I mean."

4) "I knew you were into vague inuendo, if you know what I mean."

Thanks everyone.

Ming Yue
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM
do we need to worry about you?

WanderingMonk
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
may be some problems at work, just don't go postal. going bruce lee might be okay, but certainly not postal. :D :D :D

Serpent
09-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Number 4)

joedoe
09-21-2004, 10:50 PM

KC Elbows
09-22-2004, 04:50 AM
LOL.

No, you don't need to worry about me Ming Yue, I just figured that normally, people who are at my level of learning chinese are children, so the written material most suitable as far as words I need to learn are children's stories, and a search turned up some fables in mandarin that applied, though not much that wasn't already translated into english.

Trying to picture myself going Bruce Lee. The hairstyle would look horrible on me, but the image of myself going "pakAAAAAAAH" at work made me laugh.

Ming Yue
09-22-2004, 05:00 AM
well in that case....

I'm doing some digging myself into chinese stories about children. I"m looking for english versions and have come across a couple of buyable books in chinese. Sadly didn't bookmark them.

I'll see if I can locate them again.

CaptinPickAxe
09-22-2004, 05:24 AM
I can tell you one.

Its about a farmer. One day his prize horse ran away. The nosey nieghbors came over and talked about his misfortune. "Oh, it must be horrible that you lost such a fine horse," they exclaimed. The old man replied, "Its not so bad." Three days later the horse returned with a mare. The neighbors came over to congradulate him on his luck. The old man retorted, "Its okay." The nieghbors left stumped. A week later, the farmer and his son where riding their horses. When the horse his son was on was spooked and reared back, tossing his son to the ground. His leg was broken and he would walk with a limp for the rest of his life. The neighbors came over to console the old man in his time of sorrow. The farmer said, "It's alright. Its not that bad" The nieghbors asked him how he could remain so upbeat in such a sad time. The farmer retorted, "I take the bad as the bad, and the good as the good." The nieghbors once again left stumped. A month later, the emperor declared war and initiated a draft. Many young men died in the war, but the Farmer's son was exempt from the draft...due to his old injuries from the horse accident.

Moral: It always can't be bad or good.
or
Take the bad as bad, and the good as good.

KC Elbows
09-22-2004, 08:40 PM
I did find a site of such parables in Chinese, but I'm somewhat confused as to whether the link titles are the chinese expressions that the parable sum up, or what, and they were in pinyin with no characters, if I recall right. Here's the link:

http://www.wellesley.edu/Chinese/Chinese_Fables/index/index.html

Ming Yue
09-23-2004, 12:03 PM
It's pinyin... I bet ninjaboy could, He recently translated something on the N. Praying Mantis forum, and gave an interesting etymology explanation too.

I can't seem to retrace my steps to the sites I found earlier... One site I bookmarked is dead. sorry 'bout that.

Indestructible
09-23-2004, 02:16 PM
A boy , his parents, and his aging grandmother all live together. Grandma has the shakes in her old age, and spills rice from her bowl when she eats now. This enrages the boys mother, who must clean up after grandma after every meal. There comes a time, when grandma drops the bowl and it breaks and the boys mother forbids grandma to eat at the table with the family, and instead has her eat outside in the yard, with the very oldest bowl the family has. The little boy is very sad because he loves his grandma, so he devises a plan to help her. One evening, as the family prepares for their dinner, the boys mother tells him to take grandmas meal to her out in the yard. The boy walks outside with grandmas bowl, tells her to remain sielent no matter what, then raises the bowl over his head and smashes it on the ground.
When the boys mother and father race outside to see what happened, the boy turns to his grandma and yells, " how could you be so clumsy grandma? That was the bowl I was saving for my mother!"