PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Poetry

blueflash
09-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi guys,
In your respective styles, do you learn the poetry that goes along with the movements of your forms? To a degree my SIfu used to teach it when he taught the forms, but unfortunately not anymore, since a majority of the students aren't fluent in Chinese, myself included. I was just curious (and a bit envious too haha) if your Sifu's still teach the poetry.

SPJ
09-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Yes. very much so.

Huh. I should say used to. Most of my teachers passed away in the '90.

Yes, the poems are in Chinese and rythmed, too.

For example, in 5 basic palms in Tong Bei.

Shuai Zhang Si Za Lei.

The throwing palm is like a bomb exploded.

Even the apps for each move are in poems.

I used to recite them at heart.

They helped me greatly. Sometimes I even write new ones myself.

Another example about Fa Jin in Tai Ji Quan.

Shi Jin Lu Zhang Gong.

Fa Jin Lu Fong Jian.

To store your Tai Ji Jin like an extended bow. There are 5 bows in the body that produce the greatest tensions. The 2 arms, 2 legs and the back. The Jin is called Peng Jin.

To release it like an arrow. (You aim and release suddenly)

:)

Pakmei
09-23-2004, 04:45 AM
My Sifu has passed onto me the Pak Mei poems, which have help me a lot in understanding the style, form and application.

Though you have to remember that the poems are usually quite deep. What I mean by this is that as you progress and become more experienced in your chosen style / system. The more poem will reveal itself.

As a beginner, he/she may understand a basic outline of what the poem is trying to put across. However, the more advanced student would be able to understand the finer details, as they would be more aware of the foundation, body shape and ging of the respective style / system.

Of course, this is very dependent on how much the Sifu chooses to teach the student. As for some students the Sifu may never instill that much knowledge on to them and may just give them an outline of the system.

sayloc
09-23-2004, 07:37 AM
I think it helps to have a deep understanding of the culture. Many of the things the poem may be referring to could be the taoist immortals, the five elements, a fomaous gerneral or what ever. That is what I have found.

I myself love to try and figure them out.

TenTigers
09-24-2004, 11:06 AM
to steel a quote from David Ross,
"There once was a monk from Nantucket...."

Rhat
09-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sayloc
I think it helps to have a deep understanding of the culture. Many of the things the poem may be referring to could be the taoist immortals, the five elements, a fomaous gerneral or what ever. That is what I have found.

I myself love to try and figure them out.

"figure them out"

You're spinning your wheels trying to get somewhere. Remember that "figure them out" isn't what's important. It's the adventure.;)