PDA

View Full Version : Escrima

Sec
07-25-2001, 11:05 PM
I was thinking about trying Escrima, has anyone ever been to any classes or seminars?

If so what did you think?

Thanx for any replies :)

- One may have knowledge in the sense that they have memorized or copied from books and not know life. How can someone say they have knowledge and not know themself? No knowledge of life is to fail life. -

jesper
07-26-2001, 09:51 AM
If you are in any way interested in weapons fighting, escrima is truly an awsome style.
not only will you learn to fight with sticks and knife, but also be taugh to fight with ancient mideval weapons like twohanded swords, axes, flails and the like (well at least in Europe).

Another good thing is that its a very good suplement to WT as they share some similar thoughts, ie K.I.S.S (keep it simple, stupid), and both rely on praticallity instead of showman ship

Chum Kil
07-26-2001, 04:24 PM
Yes, Serrada Escrima is awesome. My Sifu taught it on certain days. I got my stick, but I failed to show up for classes, my lost. Sifu specialized on the one stick format. Escrima does teach you to use the stick and what ever is at your disposal. I believe in most states it is illegal to carry your stick in public. Escrima and Wing Chun share the same kind of history.

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.

Sihing73
07-29-2001, 12:36 PM
Hello,

In addition to Wing Chun I have done Modern Arnis under Rene Latosa and been exposed to the Escrima as taught by Remy Presas(sp?) I found that these methods did not compliment the Wing Chun I was doing as much as I would have liked. There were subtle differences in weight placement which, at the time, I was not advanced enough to differentiate between.

However, I did discover the art of Pektiti Tirsia which was brought to the US by Leo Gaje and is being promoted by several of his students. This method fit me to a T and I really enjoyed it. I also found that it blended very nicely with my Wing Chun.

Over all I would say that many of the things one finds in Escrima/Kali/Arnis will compliment Wing Chun. Footwork is based, in the most part, on the triangle. There is a conceptual approach to training. For example you learn angles and your attacks and defenses are based on the angle you are dealining with. You train to deal with energy in Hubub Lubub similiar to Chi Sau except the emphasis is on elbow control. There are joinbt locks and breaks within the system.

All in all I owuld say that the two arts are very similiar. Main exceptions would be that Escrima, etc train weapons first then work towards empty hands. Wing Chun goes the other route. However, both employ the same principles to the weapons and empty hands. For example, Escrima utilizes concepts learned using the weapon to empty hands and Wing Chun utlizes concetps and foundations learned with empty hands to the weapons.

My only advice is to have a strong foundation in Wing Chun before you experiment with anything else.

Peace,

Dave

Whisper
07-29-2001, 01:10 PM
Doesn´t Rene Latosa teach Latosa Escrima, not modern arnis (yeah, it´s just a name, but anyways)...

Sihing73
07-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi Whisper,

You are correct, Rene Latosa teaches Latosa Escrima and Remy Presas teaches modern arnis. It was early and also a Monday when I wrote the last post. I will blame it on being half asleep. :)

Peace,

Dave