PDA

View Full Version : Where are those move

yellowpikachu
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
There are stories and stories about how Wing Chun's strike can break Qigong protection seal.

Are those stories true? Are those strike exist? What is the principle behind it?

What do you think?

kj
09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Can you describe it what is meant by "Qigong protection seal"? Not understanding what that really is, I couldn't begin to fathom an answer to the subsequent question.

Thanks,
- Kathy Jo

Tom Kagan
09-23-2004, 08:05 AM
I think that in order to prove if those strikes exist and/or if those stories are true, first I would have to prove the viability of ChiKung practice to create a documented "protection seal" in the first place.

Considering that I do not believe that even my SiHing doing this (http://www.epostfree.com/sponsors/wingchun/ironbody.html) is adequate documentation of a ChiKung protection seal, I have a lot of other things to worry about before I get around to pondering your question further.

YongChun
09-23-2004, 10:25 AM
I was once walking in Vancouver's Chinatown late at night and heard this Lion Dance drumming that seemed to be coming from the top of some building. So I decided to check it out and climbed a lot of narrow stairways to get to some room at the top. Inside were a lot of people. All were Chinese, I was the only non Chinese there. This was in 1975 just about the time I started Wing Chun. Apparently if I would have been Chinese and not a member of that Tong then I would have been in big trouble but seeing that I was an ignorant White guy, they invited me in. So I sat down with the rest of the people there. Then in the middle of the floor a master from Hong Kong was demonstrating some Dragon style Kung Fu. It looked very powerful and impressive. When he stopped he looked at me and asked if I knew some Kung Fu. I told him I learned a little Hung style. So he asked me to demonstrate which I did. They gave me some applause. Then he a few more people demoed Dragon style Kung Fu.

After that the first Hong Kong master looked at me and asked me to come up and punch him in the stomach. I declined. He said come on do it. I said no , that's OK. Then another master said don't worry, even the worlds best boxing champion can't hurt him. So I said in that case OK. So I punched him with one of my Hung style punches. He smiled and told me to do my hardest. So I did. He smiled again and told me to try harder. So I gave him several more of my hardest punches. He told the crowd that my punches were nothing for him to handle and then invited anyone else to come up and try. So a dozen other people gave it their best also with similar effect. Then later he gave me his business card. It said he was a member of more than a dozen Kung Fu organizations and head of some QiGong Society in Hong Kong and also practiced some kind of Chinese medicine. I was also invited for some Tea and treats so they were very friendly towards me. So that was very interesting. When I punched his stomach it initially felt like something soft but then there was a very hard core.

Now if I would have been good at my Wing Chun, I would have sent him flying across the room however I was just at the beginning stages of that. Also I was studying Tai Chi at the time but my Chi emission abilities were not yet developed to a high degree. That might of also helped.

yellowpikachu
09-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by kj
Can you describe it what is meant by "Qigong protection seal"? Not understanding what that really is, I couldn't begin to fathom an answer to the subsequent question.

Thanks,
- Kathy Jo

There are hard or soft Qigung training that can create a "seal" to protect one's body from impact.

The hard Qigung type usually can be seen from White Crane of Fujian to karate.

The soft Qigung type can be found from Taiji and some daoist art.

This stuffs do exist. But it is not those usual demonstration stuffs.

The acceleration of a "normal punch" will not penetrate the seal. as I have heard.

There was a story about Yip Man was doing a strike on a lady who challenge him.

PaulH
09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
To break a Qigong seal, you do a sun punch on the nose of the other guy! =)

OdderMensch
09-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I go with Paul here. Let them set up, breath deep, take aim with your fist, then stomp hard on thier foot! Your punch shoud break the seal easily then :)

yellowpikachu
09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
To break a Qigong seal, you do a sun punch on the nose of the other guy! =)

Well, some stop breathing when they use the "seal". some use thier mouth to breath... so hahahaha..

PaulH
09-23-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't see how this would help when your nose is on fire. But how do you seal the body in the SLT? =)

anerlich
09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
There are stories and stories about how Wing Chun's strike can break Qigong protection seal.

I usually get another packet or jar. The broken sea lgenerally means the goods have been tampered with.

I think the chances of you coming up against someone with a "qigong protection seal" in a defense situation are much less likely than being accosted in the street by a pro MMA fighter wearing only lycra fight shorts.

Ernie
09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
a tai chi monk ytpe dude from china this let me wack him in the stomach full power
nice trick

when i asked him if he would use in motion or with a slap in the ear head butt and knee in the ball all in about a second he smiled

and didn't want to try that experiment

chi emissions thats funny , make sure you wash your hands after :)

Vajramusti
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Ernie sez:

when i asked him if he would use in motion or with a slap in the ear head butt and knee in the ball all in about a second he smiled
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Some say that they can withdraw the jewels into their cavity-
then the hunt for red October may be on?

There may be a movie or two with that theme?

Miles Teg
09-23-2004, 06:12 PM
S.TEBAS Had a stroy about someone he was able to whack in the head full force.

What happened to that guy?

anerlich
09-23-2004, 06:41 PM
then the hunt for red October may be on?

That's one hunt where I would be happy not to find the quarry.

Robert W Smith's book "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" mentions a few people capable of absorbing power shots - there is a photo of Wang Shu-Chin comfortably taking Hung I-Hsiang's best punch (which could break stacks of unsupported bricks) with his rather voluminous stomach. Neither of those two was any sort of pretender.

Supposedly Wang once invited Smith to strike or kick him repeatedly on any part of the body except the groin (I don't think the head was included). Smith did so, including shin kicks until his own feet began to hurt and he was exhausted, with no apparent effect on Wang.

Harry Houdini was supposedly excellent at taking power shots to the gut, though one failure while he was suffering appendicitus and was unexpectedly hit by surprise allegedly contributed to his death.

I've seen Scott Sonnon of ROSS take a full power body shot from UFC competitor Elvis Sinosic, without apparent damage or pain.

Chi is a concept absent from ROSS, and I doubt that either Scott's or Houdini's tricks had anything to do with Qi seals ... or Weddel or fur seals, sea lions, etc...

As for taking a shot to the head full force, it's difficult to stop the brain smacking into the interior of the skull during trauma. Strengthening the nose cartilage to deal with a hard punch might also be problematic.

Even if it were possible, the training for it would probably involve a few failures with associated neural damage. I'm pretty sure all such demos would involve riding the punch somehow, reducing its impact. There were some karate guys I say on TV wh osupposedly let footbal players punch them full force on the jaw, but they were always stepping back with the punch.

Much better just to protect the head, I think.

Vajramusti
09-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Miles Teg asks:
S.TEBAS Had a stroy about someone he was able to whack in the head full force.

What happened to that guy?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could be that his IQ steadily dropped a few points each time.

Miles Teg
09-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Haha! No I meant where's S TEBAS.

Although I imagine that the guy he was hitting has a few less brain cells.

I remember S TEBAS describing the experience on this forum. He said he tried to punch the guy as hard as he could but his fist seemed to bounce off the guys head.

yellowpikachu
09-24-2004, 07:35 AM
is walking in and purposely taking the low round horse kick with the 3 inch muscle meat thick butt consider a Guard Seal?

is karate's sanchin train for a capability to take punches?

yellowpikachu
09-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Ernie
a tai chi monk ytpe dude from china this let me wack him in the stomach full power
nice trick

and didn't want to try that experiment

chi emissions thats funny , make sure you wash your hands after :)

how many places one has to protect when one wear a protection gear?

how many places one has to protect when one has no protection gear at all?

It is always wise to think about what target to hit. But then, other will think the same and think what is the easest to reach.

Waxwood rod
09-24-2004, 10:30 PM
There is a kung fu school near me that teaches a newer Shaolin animal type system with a lot of chi development. Once you start sparring you are expected to be able to take full power shots to any part of the body, and they practice kicking each other in the groin. Sounds like fun. I think there is only 6 or 7 seven forms to learn, but at each level you must have greater capabilites of withstanding blows. They don't believe in stretching, weight training, etc. Only kung fu and chi kung. Kind of weird. I went to the school to check it out, the teacher had me stand in one position for about three hours while he lectured, as some sort of test of my worthyness. I decided not to join, although I am convinced the sifu is capable of chi projection and manipultation. he moved his hand in front of certain meridians and it gave me very strange feelings, maybe it was just some sort of hypnotism. The place kind of scared me though.