PDA

View Full Version : Gung Fu vs. Kung Fu

Icewater
09-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Please excuse the ignorance, but a quick google did not shed light on this for me. What is the difference between 'gung fu' and 'kung fu'? I think they mean the same thing, but why the spelling difference?

David Jamieson
09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
the spelling difference is because romanization of Chinese writing is still to this day mighty poor. lol

Not a lot of linguists in the Martial arts world basically and there are whack spellings and gross misspellings of the phonetic words.

But they are the same thing. Gung, Kung, Gong, et al essentially mean "work"

Icewater
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Hmm... I suppose I could hear 'kung fu' and write kung, gung, or gong... just an annoyance.

MightyB
09-23-2004, 11:57 AM
that "kung" is like waaaaaayyyy better than "gung".

Mutant
09-23-2004, 12:53 PM
the difference is, guys who can't fight usually pronounce it 'gung' or 'gong' fu.
thats an easy way to tell.

Judge Pen
09-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Lord, first a new SD debate and now Ralek. What is this, KFO's worst hits? :D

rubthebuddha
09-23-2004, 02:17 PM
more like worst ****s, my good JP. :rolleyes:

at least ralek is banned ... again.

MonkeySlap Too
09-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Next we'll see Iron Kim resurface...

IronKim
09-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Hahah, what you missing me? Huh? Huj?

Sometimes you see it Goong Bu. Goong Gu has the true Ba Gwa . You see it sometime the fake Gong Fu, Gung Fu, Gung Hu, Kung Fu, Gun Fu, what ever???.....

From the Grandmasters website:

Goong means palace and Fu means out of. Literally, the martial art study from the palace. The movements practiced are based on the natural movements of animals and nature. Long ago high level practitioners and scholars carefully studied the motions of animals and observed the relationship between the unlimited mobility of their movements and the prevention of sickness and disease. Centuries of research concluded that wild animals, through their ability to move naturally, gracefully, and without limitations, seldom get sick. The movements of the animals were copied fitting them to the way the human body moves. Other movements from nature were also copied to fit by the human body such as air currents, ocean waves and mountains. The uses of special herbs were also applied to enhance further development.

Gong Fu was origin to the Imperial Guard and passed down in the Bagwa line to Grandmaster Iron Kim. All you other "masters" step up. Kim

You like to talk smack huh? How but I smack you up?
:rolleyes: :mad:

PHILBERT
09-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Kung Fu and Gung Fu are the same.

But Gong Fu...well that's a whole different spelling.

omarthefish
09-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by IronKim
Hahah, what you missing me? Huh? Huj?

Sometimes you see it Goong Bu. Goong Gu has the true Ba Gwa . You see it sometime the fake Gong Fu, Gung Fu, Gung Hu, Kung Fu, Gun Fu, what ever???.....

From the Grandmasters website:

Gong Fu was origin to the Imperial Guard and passed down in the Bagwa line to Grandmaster Iron Kim. All you other "masters" step up. Kim

You like to talk smack huh? How but I smack you up?
:rolleyes: :mad:

You smockingg crack or something? Who's this "Grandmaster" I reeeeaaalllly got to see this website. It could keep me laughing all weekend.

PHILBERT
09-23-2004, 11:17 PM
omarthefish, being as you don't hang around here as much, I don't think you realize, IronKim is a troll. Someone on this board posts as him for fun, its a joke based on that Chung Moo Quan or whatever its called stuff, ya know, guy who leapt off an 11 story building and lived.

Brad
09-24-2004, 06:56 AM
http://www.chungmoodoe.com/

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MightyB
that "kung" is like waaaaaayyyy better than "gung".

but if you match gung and gong , gung 's gone babes;)

Ps: how you pronouncing that "kung " anyway???

Icewater
09-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Brad
http://www.chungmoodoe.com/

To student: "Ok, jump off that building. Make sure you chamber first, then breakfall on that truck down there."

Running Student: "Hai Sensei, whaaaaaa......."

Teacher looking down: "I said CHAAAAMBEEER!"

Hahaha... "You can borrow knowledge, but you cannot borrow your mind and body."

Wow... thats some good stuff.

*wipes the tears* "Our research has shown that only a small number of people have reached a similar level of achievement."

IronKim
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by omarthefish
You smockingg crack or something? Who's this "Grandmaster" I reeeeaaalllly got to see this website. It could keep me laughing all weekend.

Don't insult what you don't learn. 11 story building is just the beginning. Grandmaster has many feats he accomplish!!!

You don't understand what the grandmasters accomplish.

Expression in China "Fools will lagh but the wise will understand!"

Which one category are you?

Other achievments of our Great Grandmaster (what we call kwan-jan-nim.)

-slice an apple in 4 pieces w/ Kum Do
-Winner of Southeast asian full contact
-Drive a truck over him

etc. etc.

Don't laugh towards something you don't understand!!

:mad:

MonkeySlap Too
09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Ah, the 11 story jump. Amazng powers, which why I suggest chucking an OYD master off a roof so that they can enlighten us less skilled ones...

Goldenfist
09-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Gung Fu or Kung Fu means the same, it means martial arts in a different dialect. China is a big country and every village will have a different pronouncation of the same word. Only the written language is the same but now the simplified chinese is again different from the traditional chinese.

SevenStar
09-25-2004, 06:22 AM
it means "martial arts"? I've never heard that one... It means "hard work", but may have other interpretations.

chuan fa translates to "fist art"

blooming lotus
09-25-2004, 08:24 AM
gung does??

and here's me thinking hard wark was xin ku and gung was skill .

Either way, it's closer than the last guy at least.

David Jamieson
09-25-2004, 02:01 PM
work/time

effort/time

together the characters represent "skill acquired through time and effort"

Shaolindynasty
09-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I once met a guy who found out I did "kungfu". He told me he knew a deadlier version of the art called "gongfu" that he learned from a master from korea (turned out to be local TKD guy). When I told him kungfu and gongfu are the same thing he told other people (when I wasn't around of course) that i was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about.

He also play fought with this skinny nerd kid and wouldn't let him up from the ground till he said metei(from bloodsport)

SevenStar
09-27-2004, 10:54 AM
he is an idiot.

However, "matte" is japanese for "stop"