PDA

View Full Version : New issue

norther practitioner
09-24-2004, 02:15 AM
When is the new issue shipping?

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 07:06 AM
I dunno...

but if you get a spare, you wanna ship C/- Bl in the middle of NOWHERE!!!!???

;) :rolleyes: :D

GeneChing
09-24-2004, 10:25 AM
If you mean the Nov Dec 2004 (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf2001225.html), it shipped to subscribers (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) last week. I think the foriegns just went out yesterday.

tug
09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
I got mine!

GeneChing
09-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Let us know what you think here after you've read it. :cool:

tug
09-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Roger, wilco.

SimonM
09-25-2004, 04:37 PM
For those of us who usually buy their magazines off of newsstands when will it be available off the shelf (in Canada). I hope before November.

GeneChing
09-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Newsstand dates are a bit tricky for magazines. It's not like the release of the new Harry Potter book. We have a newsstand date (Oct 5th) but that's not exact. Shipping may change that date a week or two in either direction. In addition, it's up to the individual retailers about when they physically restock their newsstand. Canada is supposed to be on the same schedule as the U.S. - in fact it's the only foriegn nation that is such - so look for it on Canadian newsstands around the beginning of Oct. Let me know here whe you do find it, I'd be interested to know (not that I can do anything about it if it's early or late, but I'd still be interested). Once Hawaii got issues on the newsstand before we even got our advance issues here in the office!

tug
09-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Ach, I'm an idiot, I don't have the new issue yet, I have the current Sept/Oct. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but I've read through about a million times, can't wait for the new ish, can't wait to talk about it!

GeneChing
10-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Until then.... (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=543)

SimonM
10-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I have a teacher lined up for Iron Thread/Wire at my Kwoon, I can't wait to read the article on it... I think I will check and see if it is in yet on break (it may be only Oct. 3 but you never know, eh?)

SimonM
10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Aargh! I spent all morning riding between Chapters and the tiny little Korean Variety stores that sell Kung Fu Magazine round these parts. Chapters and one of the two variety stores had it but Chapters had it in one of several thousand boxes of magazines and didn't have it unpacked. The Korean variety store had it in a stack of magazines 6 feet tall and bound with zip strips!

I want my magazine! Curse my not having enough money at any one time to fork out for a subscription without skipping several issues!

Oh well, perhaps tomorow Guanyin will smile on me and I will get a chance to pick up the magazine sometime between my school day and my work day...

blooming lotus
10-05-2004, 01:18 AM
look dude.kfm is a priviledge and at least you know yours ifs forcomming, if your calling mercy on that one..well I don't whether I understand totally or am likely to make you a warm milo !!

GeneChing
10-05-2004, 08:55 AM
And thanks for your dedication, SimonM. I hope after all the effort you're putting into getting the issue that you find it satisfactory. FWIW, I think that the Iron Wire article is a stand-out piece in this issue. It's quite technical, useless to anyone who doesn't practice it, but a gem for anyone who does.

Anyway, given the stacks of mags at those retailers, now you all get an idea why I can't really answer when you ask 'when does the next issue come out?' It's far from an exacting science and what you experienced at those stores is quite common for retailers across north America.

norther practitioner
10-05-2004, 10:20 AM
OK...

Got mine late last week, have read most of it, but I was very presently surprised by Antonio's latest article... I think he is right in almost every sense, and give mad props to that.

The third of three for the wushu articles, thirty years of wushu. This also, like the writer of one of the letters to the editor, I think it was a very imformative set of articles while still giving some of those classic stories. However, I didn't come to tears :p

I'm in the middle of the bagua article

The Wudang 8 requirements was a great article, I liked how it even went into that saying (tao te ching), and explained it, I've actually talked about that one with someone before. The 8 requirements were good, not too cliche` and actually sheds some light.

Lashing Out Riddles of Kung Fu’s Lashing Staff
Good job telling the stories as always Gene... I was thinking that you'd actuall get into it a little more though. Short, sweet, not bad at all. Question though, how long were those rice thrashers.

Kung Fu Wisdom: Yi Dan Er Li San Gong Fu
By Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng

Grandmaster Tu has been too nice to you guys...

You need to spread the wealth. You have my addy on file, just hook a brother up with some callig.

When I finish up, I'll coment.. but then again, I say that every month.

mickey
10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Greetings Everyone.

Gene,

What will happen to the full interview with He Jin-Han? The article had me a little confused at points; I was and still am trying to figure out what in the world he was responding to.

Will he be developing a product line (books and dvds) with you guys?

mickey

SimonM
10-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Well, Chapters came through today, they had a copy stuck behind the counter for me the second it was on the shelf and I had it in my hands two hours later.

Originally posted by GeneChing
And thanks for your dedication, SimonM. I hope after all the effort you're putting into getting the issue that you find it satisfactory. FWIW, I think that the Iron Wire article is a stand-out piece in this issue. It's quite technical, useless to anyone who doesn't practice it, but a gem for anyone who does.

I read that article and was quite impressed. My sifu and I had a discussion about the sounds in Iron Thread the last time we worked on it and this helps to add depth to the information I recieved from him. Keep up the good work!

BTW: There will only be 1 or 2 more issues coming out before I move to China, I think I may have to bite the bullet and come up with the money for a subscription when I get there. :D

GeneChing
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
And keep 'em coming!

NP: I've only seen a few examples of rice threshers and since it's a folk farm tool, it's far from standardized. But the examples that I have seen have a handle pole that's about 3-4 ft and a flail that's about 2 ft.
Master Tu gets a good chunk of change for his art. His calligraphy has commanded prices in 3 digits. You'll find some reproductions of his paintings here (http://store.martialartsmart.net/ironcrotch.html)

MKY: That was most of the text of the interview - at least the relevant bits. There was more on his personal history, but it wasn't very revealing. He has his own book, printed in English from Taiwan, available here (http://www.martialartsmart.net/bjh001.html). I don't know about videos.

SM: The iron thread article was pretty technical. I only dabbled in sup ying, so practically speaking, it was a little beyond me. But I'm glad you guys got something out of it.
We're pretty expensive in China, sorry to say. Hope your move goes well.

PHILBERT
10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Well my issue finally arrived.

And there isnt anything on Taiji Legacy in it.

I'll read it later. I got a hot date in an hour.

norther practitioner
10-20-2004, 05:20 AM
It wasn't until I think the Mar/Apr issue last year.

norther practitioner
10-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Checked..

Jan/Feb issue last year.

SimonW
10-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Just got the latest issue.

Haven't been able to check it out fully. But it looks good. The Iron Wire article looks particularly interesting.

When I've had more of a read I'll post more comments.

GeneChing
10-25-2004, 10:20 AM
TJL will be in the next issue - Jan/Feb 2005. The event was just before we were closing the Nov/Dec issue - final proofs and such - so too late to make it into that one.