PDA

View Full Version : Grappling at shaolin.......

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 05:43 AM
I've heard it said many a time that shaolin lacks grappling. I'm not talking about ground fighting because frankly.......... I haven't seen any.

I understand that Gene's on the case in regard to the nxt weeks' Bi-annual ( ish) shaolin festival at dengfeng , and because I have no scanner and he 'll probably get to one first, I've sent him a few photos ( courtsey of CITS dengfeng and Wang Yu Min .... and who wanted how much of greasy palm??? :D :D ;) )

I noticed on my stint out there some awesome standing grappling and takedowns so I took some pics. I hope he posts them here and while it's only Tagou I'm shooting mostly ( + a few hey , yup , on song shan obligatory snaps) I hope they'll be some use in your understanding of what happens there. I also , and Ironfist take note ( re :- mths prior query on air and how to) took some great shots of the tagou boys mid air from a couple of angles in some respectworthy height.

On aerials though, how many of us are pulling them off and how'd you do it?? Gymnastics superstar as a kid ?? Capoeira feind??

Moving on though, also have a few shots of the youngens class weilding their swords while stick / pole in other hand and pulling air to boot. Awesome teachings... Sanda mostly yibanban ( boxing / freestyle sparring so so ) like I've said before, but can't for the life of me fault their sword nor stick nor airs.........

hope the pics turn up soon, mind the "travellers " head and bod, and enjoy what ever he has the time to post.

cheers kfers

Toby
09-24-2004, 05:51 AM
I look forward to the photos. I commend you on your post.

blooming lotus
09-24-2004, 05:58 AM
and now praise?? :o :o
too much :rolleyes:

really .compliments unecessary, just the facts babe..just the facts ;) :cool: :p

Shaolinlueb
09-24-2004, 10:44 AM
shaolin practices chin na right? thats grappling, therefore no lack of it, unless you mean ground fighting.

you loonie :D ;)

GeneChing
09-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Qinna is clearly a form of grappling, but it differs from what we have been calling grappling in the west and doesn't include groundfighting to any extent. Really, it's closer to Shuai Jiao and mongolian wrestling. However, neither have developed groundfighting to the level of BJJ.

I look forward to see the pics BL.

FngSaiYuk
09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
On aerials though, how many of us are pulling them off and how'd you do it?? Gymnastics superstar as a kid ?? Capoeira feind??

You just kinda do 'em. You build circular/spinning momentum, jump upwards and spin. Land on your feet.

Then again, that's sorta like asking, how do you do a backflip. You just kinda jump and do it.

blooming lotus
09-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Dong. I do understand and I think I'm now onto it. For yourself though understand , that getting good air especially when you get into more complicated kick etc is a skill and alot of ppl have ahard time grasping it.

Gene : Look fwd to the feedback.

Lueb : trying your troll on ha? :rolleyes:

hopefully the pictures'll arrive soon and we'll chat then

cheers

BL

Shaolinlueb
09-25-2004, 09:28 PM

Lueb : trying your troll on ha? :rolleyes:

lueb in da hosue!!!

bollocks!

blooming lotus
09-25-2004, 10:26 PM
just trying for some recognition then ha!!

dong :rolleyes:

cerebus
09-25-2004, 10:30 PM
LOL! Yeah she "dong"s trying for recognition all right! :p

blooming lotus
09-25-2004, 10:50 PM
goodbye Cerebus..

substance.........we're working on substance!!!!!!

Shaolinlueb
09-26-2004, 09:06 PM
just trying for some recognition then ha!!

dong :rolleyes: \

lol i was board at work when i made my first reply in this thread and same with the 2nd :D

blooming lotus
09-26-2004, 09:10 PM
well. If you were "board" , we all undrestand!! ;) :)

Shaolinlueb
09-26-2004, 09:31 PM
well. If you were "board" , we all undrestand!! ;) :)

:o

bored.... :D doh............. :D :D :o :D

blooming lotus
09-26-2004, 09:31 PM
:rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

Serpent
09-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Hahaha! bl correcting someone else's spelling! Priceless!

blooming lotus
09-26-2004, 09:55 PM
aint it :rolleyes:

SevenStar
09-26-2004, 10:08 PM
notice the lack of an apostrophe when she should actually be using one this time....

cerebus
09-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Aside, of course, from the fact that "ain't" isn't a proper word. :p

blooming lotus
09-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Gene : waiting on the comments on pics so keeping this thread open in anticipation of you receiving them soon.

How long does inter-province standard mail take here??

Shaolinlueb
09-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Hahaha! bl correcting someone else's spelling! Priceless!

:( :o :rolleyes: :mad: :p

GeneChing
09-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't know about inter-province mail, but the last time I sent postcards from China, they actually got home before I did. Once, years ago, the postcards didn't arrive until months later...

blooming lotus
09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I just checked my trusty lonely planet guide, and according to them you'll have them by tommorow latest.

cheers

Ps: Lueb.... :confused: wt?? make sense man :rolleyes:

GeneChing
09-29-2004, 04:19 PM
It is tomorrow.

Just goes to show you can't trust everything you read. ;)

Serpent
09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Especially if what you read is written by bl! ;)

Vash
09-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Aside, of course, from the fact that "ain't" isn't a proper word. :p

. . . it's in the dictionary . . .

blooming lotus
09-29-2004, 07:32 PM
No pics?? :confused:

hmmmmm...... so you're in Dengfeng then. Well that's a good start. No idea what happened , and losing a lil interest in reading the comments on tagou trainings, ( let alone the haircut and temp unworked bod you're going to see) , but as long as it gets out there, I guess I'm peachy on it.

Ps: no doubt you'll be taking your own snaps and we'll also look forward to seeing them .

Does Yu Min have a scanner??

Shaolinlueb
09-29-2004, 08:11 PM
BL, half the time i dont know what the hell I am tlaking about either.

blooming lotus
09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
I know what I'm talking about, I just sometimes get carried away and forget why!!!

blooming lotus
09-30-2004, 02:41 AM
So speaking of being in DengFeng for the festival , what's happening out there?? I know there'll be an article but how 'bout a preview??

The majority of us have never been to or seen anything on this scale before, so your comments 'll be appreciated .

cheers

Ps: are you ( or is someone) doing a video???

GeneChing
09-30-2004, 10:22 AM
See what I mean about communication with BL? Of course, we all see, since that is really the heart of the issue here.

No, I'm not in Dengfeng. I'll be in Zhengzhou in two weeks for the 1st World Traditionals, and probably only come out to Dengfeng for some visits. This has always been the plan. And I don't know if Mr. Wang has a scanner - what am I? his secretary? Why don't you ask him for yourself?

PHILBERT
09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Grappling in Kung Fu (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0870409247/qid=1096585654/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6697855-0264065?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

And I've met Shaolin instructors who knew this stuff.

blooming lotus
09-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Right!! .Communication!!!........

..... So not in Deng Feng ha??.....well okay........how'd you expect to receive the pics??? Can you bring a scanning wand when you come??

Philbert: - really good link, but I was talking about standing grappling and because ppl 've previously said it didn't exist at shaolin , I though t ppl might like to see my pics. :)

There're a few other kf note worthy pics I think folks might like to see aswell. Hope you enjoy, but guess we're waiting for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

B

GeneChing
09-27-2018, 03:22 PM
The Dao of Kung Fu Grappling: How Heavy Ancient Weapons Apply to Unarmed Combat
By Chris Friedman

FALL 2018 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1436)

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/1840_KFM2018-Fall-Cover.jpg

wiz cool c
10-09-2018, 02:20 AM
I have been living in Songshan Shaolin for three years now, and have a pretty clear idea of how things work. Qin Na is a traditional part of Shaolin kung fu, unfortunately this generation trains in almost no Qin Na at all. I have had teachers that studied about 20 years ago they know a little, then I have one teacher who trained 40 years ago and he knows a lot. Then there is Sanda which is Chinese kickboxing with throws ,but unfortunately that is slowly being replaced with Bo Ji{kickboxing} which has no throws.

wiz cool c
10-09-2018, 02:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRMzpNSqMc&feature=youtu.be

wiz cool c
10-09-2018, 02:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghZcMMwt-U

wiz cool c
10-09-2018, 02:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIk0PIatZR0

NotGreg
11-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the vids.

Many modern grappling arts nowadays have been moving away from developing in mma competion and more into development of moves that shine in it’s pure competition format. I think grappling for fighting itself has been mostly a “solved game”

However, I think there’s still plenty to learn. Traditional forms I notice take this dominance attitude and bring it to the world of neutralizing opposing limbs from grabbing things in small qin na. Large qin na for that big tumble on their head ;). Its resembles a lot of police work. Its sad because I think more traditional students should take a look at their traditional skills when it develops easier with their own goals. Supplementing with bjj/wrestling still definitely develops someones power and skills development, but it may not mesh seamlessly with their core systems traditional strategies and goals.

Is anyone aware of songshan subsystems or forms that really highlight small and big qin na moreso than others? Of course they all contain these things, but very proportionatelly more? I wouldn’t say I’m that knoweledgable on Songshan Shaolin wushu. I hope other can keep this thread going.