PDA

View Full Version : single dagger set

sayloc
09-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Anyone ever see a single dagger form?

I have seen one and think it may be a chin woo form.

Double daggers seem to be the most common.

Thanks

yu shan
09-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Sayloc

Do a search on this, I remember a thread about this very topic back a spell. From what I remember it was informative.

I learned the Wah Lum double D`s it is my favorite weapon set. Also learned a double D`s vs empty hand set. Sayloc, have you heard of this set? I saw Shifu Mike Johnson and his wife do a version of this, they had more than what I was taught. Oh well, this is a fun set none the less.

Have a good day.

puja
09-26-2004, 03:58 AM
I also remember the thread Yu Shan mentioned, but I couldn't find in in the NPM Forum, was it moved or deleted? Or perhaps I have to get some breakfast first in order to wake up ;)

We also have double dagger sets. But I just recently learned a single dagger form, which is quite nice. I can't say where it really comes from, but it has some hooking techniques which very much relate to tanglang

Best regards,

Puja

grifter721
09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Yep I have done a two dagger sets, One with the single butterfly sword, and 14 inch weapon, which is a knife.

The 14 inch weapon form is nothing but brutal. Both I learnt in Mantis.

sayloc
09-27-2004, 10:52 AM
I have heard of a single butterfly sword form but have never seen one. I only have double.

Wasnt sure if the single was traditional or not. Sounds like it is.

FEELERSTRIKE
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
I think the butterfly knife is a southern style weapon ? that is used manly in Wing Chun ? I have never heard of it being used in northern mantis either in singles or pairs .

Shaolin Dude
09-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by FEELERSTRIKE
I think the butterfly knife is a southern style weapon ? that is used manly in Wing Chun ? I have never heard of it being used in northern mantis either in singles or pairs .

isn't there a butterfly knives form in wah lum?

German Bai Lung
09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
I know that Zhang Wan Fu from Mui Fa Tang Lang teaches some ButterflyForms. Solo and Partnerforms.

puja
09-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by German Bai Lung
I know that Zhang Wan Fu from Mui Fa Tang Lang teaches some ButterflyForms. Solo and Partnerforms.

You're right Jochen, we have Solo and Partnerforms with Butterflyknives, but I can't say if they are traditionally tanglang, although they're taught by Zhang Wan Fu.
Also it's not Mui Fa (Mei Hua) but Tai Ji Mei Hua (Tai Chi Mui Fa). It's a slightly different lineage ;)

MantisZombie
09-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Interesting. I am curious about the "traditional" lineages; how many dagger forms are there?

Judge Pen
09-28-2004, 08:20 AM
SD has a couple of single dagger sets, but I couldn't give you any more information on their origins. :D

MantisZombie
09-28-2004, 08:36 AM
O.K,..thanks,..LOL!

How about traditional Mantis lineages??

FEELERSTRIKE
09-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Coming from a tradtional lineage we do not use southern weapon sets , hence my querie about the use of southern butterfly knives . Is this a modern addition to the style ? I see there is one 7 star school in Canada who list the Japanese Katana in their weapons listing .