PDA

View Full Version : is there a mathematical relationship between kungfu and money?

WanderingMonk
09-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Every once a while I find a poster who will claim he is poor and can't afford a video, training, etc. Just for the record, currently, I am broke myself (holding out hope for tomorrow). Eventually, he or she wants a freebie. It seem like a lot of MA guys are hurting for money. It is almost like more kung-fu equal less money (inversely proportional). heemm, may be it is a sign that I need to move to a more lucrative hobby. Do you know any hobby that are enjoyed by rich people? I need to go out and meet rich people so I can become rich too. Yes, I must learn the secret of their money kungfu if you will. LOL.

WanderingMonk
09-26-2004, 05:35 PM
FYI, according to Arnold, you should buy when martha buys, and sell when martha sells.

Yes, apparently, that's the secret to his money kungfu.

David Jamieson
09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
teach old white men tai chi and tell them it will improve their game of golf.

$$$$ cha ching!

SimonM
09-26-2004, 05:55 PM
I am one of those many Martial Artists who have "gone looking for a freebie" because, as I rather bluntly have stated in the past, I am poor.

In my case this is not actually causally correlated to Kung Fu to any great extent. Membership at my kwoon is a piddling $75 a month, less than most McDojo's in my town. Other than that, I have to buy a new pair of pants for my uniform about once a year, a new t-shirt once every six months or so and a few other minor supplimental costs.

You see, I am a university student. Between School and Kung Fu, I have at the very most 30 hours per week to work at my call-center job. Of the $800-900 / month that I take home, $80 (average) goes to kung fu, $100 to debts and about $500 to School. That makes $680 out of an average of $850. This leaves an average of about $170 per month for everything else in my life.

Now, my best friend asked me to be best man for his wedding, my Tux rental is costing me $200, the bachelor party is costing me about $200 and then I have to get a wedding present. So, that is about 3 months discretionary spending just for that. So yeah, I'm pema-broke.

Oh, and I have to somehow come up with the money to pay for my airfare to China when I leave in March since most employers out there apparently only reimburse you for the cost when you arrive.

Vash
09-26-2004, 06:18 PM
I get karate for free. Since I help instruct too, I get free access to the gym.

'Bout to hafta borrow about $70 from my grandparents to get some protein mix. They also volunteered $50 for a new karate uniform (due to physical therapy, my quads and ass are hella muscular, so it's hell gettin' my Gi pants on, much less movin' in them). Gonna hafta pull $400 dollars from my school loan to cover a cracked head in my engine (I ride a crack head named Winona to school).

Recently got my ISSA certification (personal training), gym ain't hiring, 'niether is the other fitness center in town. Gonna try and get on at the fitness center at my school.

I drive 450 miles a week just for school. Not counting picking up my youngest brother from his school, going to class, going to town (I am too **** poor to date. That's all for grocery shopping), going to karate. So, I usually cover about 600-650 miles a week in that truck. And my mileage sucks, turns out, thanks to my cracked head.

I'm broke and I do martial arts. Give my deadly ass some ****ing change.

FngSaiYuk
09-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
heemm, may be it is a sign that I need to move to a more lucrative hobby. Do you know any hobby that are enjoyed by rich people? I need to go out and meet rich people so I can become rich too. Yes, I must learn the secret of their money kungfu if you will. LOL.

Shmoozing w/the rich guys and getting in on their rich network. Then you can do whatever it is you're decent at for richie folk and charge them 10x what you'd normally charge 'cuz they can afford it and they don't really care... so long as they know you or of you.

Watahhh
09-26-2004, 10:51 PM
actually, most senior students at my kung fu school are pretty well off. and it's not like the school is in a good neighbourhood. far from it.

being a good kung fu practitioner means you take care of yourself in more ways than one. you set yourself goals and work hard to achieve them. kung fu isn't just about having hard punches or high kicks. it's about becoming the best person that you can be and always striving for more.

MasterKiller
09-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Vash
(I am too **** poor to date. That's all for grocery shopping), going to karate. What...kind...of...nonsense....

Dude...college women LOVE TO FEED boyfriends. There is nothing a college girl loves more than feeding a college boy and paying for their dates. Really, just be nice to her and most women will shell out the cash to keep you fed on a regular basis. You might have to scrape it together to pay for the first date, but then tell her you'd love to take her out and spend time with her again, but don't have any cash. She'll be at the ATM like a duck on a June bug. I know this to be true.

And I thought you was all growns up...

Vash
09-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
What...kind...of...nonsense....

Dude...college women LOVE TO FEED boyfriends. There is nothing a college girl loves more than feeding a college boy and paying for their dates. Really, just be nice to her and most women will shell out the cash to keep you fed on a regular basis. You might have to scrape it together to pay for the first date, but then tell her you'd love to take her out and spend time with her again, but don't have any cash. She'll be at the ATM like a duck on a June bug. I know this to be true.

'Tis true, 'tis true. I am ashamed.

*hangs head in shame*

And I thought you was all growns up...

The hell made you think that? You ever read anything I've ever posted? I have the maturity level of your average . . . 20 year old college student.

MasterKiller
09-27-2004, 06:34 AM
From Swingers:

"He's growns up and he's growns up and he's growns up."

Meaning, he now knows about women and how to interact with them properly without being a little beyotch.

WanderingMonk
09-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Masterkiller is revealing the secret to money kung-fu (how to get woman to pay for everything), must listen very closely. :D :D :D

Chinese Guy
09-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Money is nothing,money is everything.

MonkeySlap Too
09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
MK is dead on, and this strategy works well even when you have money. I think my wife is the only girl I know who didn't pay for me. Ah, the power of Kung Fu. I've been poor, well off, poor, and well off. Well, good enough off that I'm not choosing between food and medicine or clothing or a place to stay. Life is okay, and most of the guys I know my age in Kung Fu are doing good too. Part of it is stage of life. As a student, you are poor. But the kung fu stays with you.

Here's another tip - make friends with your teacher. Help them out in other ways, and they'll usually let you float on the dues. When I was poor, my teachers NEVER charged me, cause I was a hardcore student.

Think about this - dues haven't really changed in 20 years, so your teacher isn't really making anything off of teaching either...

mantis108
09-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, I got this "formula" from a friend:

Girls = Time X Money

Time = Money

Girls = Money x Money => (Money) square

Money = / Evil (root of evil) ;)

Girls = ( /Evil ) square

Girls = Evil !

Besides Garfield's Energy = Macroone x double Cheese which sometime causes us to stuff our face too much. The G = E formula is why we are broke most of the time. :D ;) :D :P

Mantis108

MasterKiller
09-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I didn't really start making enough money to live comfortably on until I was 25 or so. And by comfortable, I mean I actually had stable furniture sleep and sit on... If not for my wife, I'd probably still be sitting on bean bags. :p

Anyway, just be nice to them when they feed you. Really, when it comes down to it, most women possess an enormous capacity to give and they are more than happy to express it...all they ask in return most of the time is that you put the toilet seat down and iron your shirt before you go out on a date. That's not too much to ask, now is it?

WanderingMonk
09-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
Well, I got this "formula" from a friend:

Girls = Time X Money

Time = Money

Girls = Money x Money => (Money) square

Money = / Evil (root of evil) ;)

Girls = ( /Evil ) square

Girls = Evil !

Besides Garfield's Energy = Macroone x double Cheese which sometime causes us to stuff our face too much. The G = E formula is why we are broke most of the time. :D ;) :D :P

Mantis108

negative x negative = positive
evil ^2 = good ? ? ?

I suppose if the girl is care-giver type, it will be good. If she is the high-maintenance model, uheem, that will be bad.

So, it will seem that there is no direct relationship between wealth and kung-fu. so the inquiry into the nature and causes of wealth of mankinds with respect to kung fu is at an end. Someone should write an inquiry into the nature and causes of wealth of mankind with respect to womenkinds.