PDA

View Full Version : Bot-Gua Tourney

TenTigers
09-26-2004, 08:05 PM
****, I'm sittin here checking the boards for someone to write something-anything, and squat! So in an effort to get things rolling..........
So between coaching, and videotaping my one lonely student, and checking things out, I made my way to Sifu Bells' neck of the woods, and they were definately on to something here. The push hands was great. Of course when there were more experienced players, it got rolling (no pun intended)and I saw pretty much what I was hoping for, rather than a shoving match, I saw footwork, body displacement, and fluid takedowns. Good stuff. Congrats! I know it must have been hard setting this whole thing up, and I respect that.
I couldn't really see the Bagua sparring, as I was on the other end of the gym, but from what I saw, it looked like regular sparring, but with more grappling. Now, this is also because I wasn't right up there, and I was only looking back and forth while watching my kid punch guys' heads, so I don't want to be unfair. I am however interested in YOUR views.
And I was reeeaaalllyyy upset that EvoFist was a no-show! I know he really wanted to be there. Oh well, next time.
(Hey-if I could be there, an' I'm a freakin JEW! an it was on YOM KIPPUR-the holiest day of the year...what's YOUR excuse? huh? HUH???!-jes jokin)-hey,don't any of you guys tell God I was there, ok? And especially don't tell him about the "ham sandwich incident"-remember-"Mo Lum Yat Ga" we are all brothers, right?

Chinese Guy
09-26-2004, 08:51 PM
I remember an old Chinese film "Wu Lin Zhi"(hero is called Dongfang Xu),there is Bagua fighting.

TenTigers
09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
was that also known as "Pride's deadly fury"? I had that vid. I loaned it out and never saw it again. I loved that film. Especially when DengFeng Xu stomped the cement.

Chinese Guy
09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I don't know if we talk about the same film.
It's a too old film.The story is about Dongfang Xu beat Russian strong man.I'm not sure.

TenTigers
09-26-2004, 10:14 PM
sounds like the same one. He comes in and performs in the public square, and the neighborhood touh challenges him, he beats him and his sifu, etc

Buddy
09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Same one.

Josh Vogel
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi,

The Bagua tournament was alot of fun this year, as it has been for the last two. Less people showed up this year, but there was some good stuff going on.

It ended up being a very good learning experience for me and I was grateful to see and meet some skilled guys doing their thing.

I believe three schools competed, Blacktaoists, Maoshans and Frank Allens, all of whom did well. All three teachers, including Sifu Rudy Curry who was judging, were gracious people, generous with information and really nice guys.

All in all it was a great time and hopefully more people will show their support next year.

Regards,
Josh