PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: BTL - deleting protocol?

Hungfutkune
09-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Hello BTL,

I have a question for this forum and I have posted it here because I think alot of people have the same question. Though I do not envy your position as a moderator and I appreciate all the hard work you do volunteering for this site, i was wondering one thing.

What constitutes the difference between you deleting a thread or simply putting a lock on it?

I personally believe that though some threads are pretty stupid and a waste of time they should not be deleted. Fine, if you think they are inappropriate, then lock them down. But to delete them from existence is a little harsh. There might be something in those deleted threads that might start up another thread. I was searching for the Lee Kam Wing get's Gold thread and it's no longer here. What happened to it? and Why was it deleted? It sparked other threads, but I still see those threads still up and running so it couldn't have been that bad.

So do you have a guideline of what you delete and what you simply lock? Or is it just a personal decision on your part?

Also having the people vote for leaving a thread up has been a waste of time in my opinion. If people don't like a post, why don't they just ignore it and let it fade into existence. I hate to wade through a bunch of votes in a thread before I find something that is valuable to my MA training.

Thanks

Hungfutkune
09-27-2004, 09:32 AM
oh yeah, and I would like to hear what other people think about this.

BeiTangLang
09-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Hungfutkune
Hello BTL,

I have a question for this forum and I have posted it here because I think alot of people have the same question. Though I do not envy your position as a moderator and I appreciate all the hard work you do volunteering for this site, i was wondering one thing.

What constitutes the difference between you deleting a thread or simply putting a lock on it?

Currently, it is whatever the membership votes to do with it.
Prior to this voting system, it was based upon relevance to mantis & the tone (rudeness, blatent disrespect to others, etc.) in which it was taken (as read).
If they were just plain off-topic, I would send them to the appropriate board, usually, the general kf board.

I personally believe that though some threads are pretty stupid and a waste of time they should not be deleted. Fine, if you think they are inappropriate, then lock them down. But to delete them from existence is a little harsh. There might be something in those deleted threads that might start up another thread. I was searching for the Lee Kam Wing get's Gold thread and it's no longer here. What happened to it? and Why was it deleted? It sparked other threads, but I still see those threads still up and running so it couldn't have been that bad.

Many threads fall in the catagory of "Very General" questions that may be stupid to some. These were either left if they were about mantis, or moved to the general board. If someone has a side-question that warrants another thread, they should, by all means, start a thread with the new topic anyway. Otherwise it is basicly "hijacking" a thread to a different topic.
The "LKW gets gold" thread was deleted because it was a troll thread set up to invite replies & then tear down that achievement as well as the way he does mantis. It qualified under "blatent disrespect" & "rudeness". So, I deleted it. BTW, I have no affiliations at all with the LKW organization, so the decision was completely unbiased.
A far as sparking threads, I'm glad they were sparked. It is a pity that the original thread was not as well written & with the same respect as they are.

So do you have a guideline of what you delete and what you simply lock? Or is it just a personal decision on your part?
Thanks

It used to be my descision. Now it is voted upon.

Also having the people vote for leaving a thread up has been a waste of time in my opinion. If people don't like a post, why don't they just ignore it and let it fade into existence. I hate to wade through a bunch of votes in a thread before I find something that is valuable to my MA training.
Thanks

I happen to agree that it is a waste of time. But, voted upon, or in my old capacity, just deleted by me, Some threads will just not live here.

Voting takes the load off of my back & upon the backs of the membership. So, I guess, if you do not like the votes, just ignore them. But untill the membership voted to have the forum back the old way, votes are the way the board will be handled.

Thanks for the questions & I will for sure leave this thread up for others to view this subject.

~BTL

Hungfutkune
09-27-2004, 11:07 AM
I have heard the term used before, but since I am relatively new here could you please define for me what is meant by "trolling".

Also you said that you deleted the Lee Kam Wing gets Gold thread because you considered it Trolling. Was there a vote taken on that or was it deleted because it was trolling.

Personally this Vote thing is CR@P. What's going to stop people from signing on with different names and trying to sway the Vote. This is a Mantis forum not an election campaign. If we go by the new rules than all the voting on the threads could be regarded as "hijacking"
Thanks

BeiTangLang
09-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I have heard the term used before, but since I am relatively new here could you please define for me what is meant by "trolling".

Geting people to post on a topic so that you can down-play or insult the repliers. Generaly used to get a thread of turmoil/ very heated discussions/turning into very disrespectful discourse; started. There are better descriptions out on the web I'm sure.

Also you said that you deleted the Lee Kam Wing gets Gold thread because you considered it Trolling. Was there a vote taken on that or was it deleted because it was trolling.

It was deleted before the voting was implemented. Yes, I deleted it because after reading the originators reply to his opening of the thread; I felt it to be a "troll" thread.

Personally this Vote thing is CR@P. What's going to stop people from signing on with different names and trying to sway the Vote. This is a Mantis forum not an election campaign. If we go by the new rules than all the voting on the threads could be regarded as "hijacking"
Thanks

Sorry you feel that way. I preffered it the other way myself; but as I said before; the pm's sent to the administrators complaining about how I was handling the board drove me to it.
Except for the fact that the board members need to vote now on the threads, yes, it would be hijacking.
Pertaining to "stuffing the ballot box", if there are several on here that post that have say, 1-5, posts; I can have the admin track the isp & possibly have that members id's (all of them) deleted.

~BTL

Brad
09-27-2004, 05:46 PM
It's an internet term that comes from a type of fishing technique. "Trolling" for angry/negative responses, usually by putting down the board members in some sort of way.