PDA

View Full Version : Rahim at his worse wing chun footage.

Ali Hamad Rahim
09-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Demo: crappie wing chun, “quick fix wing chun”. For those who don’t have time for formal wing chun classes. Vintage 12 year old footage of Master Rahim Demo: "Wing Chun Street tactics". @ age 28.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

http://detroitwingchun.com/sifudem.htm

or vist the site @ detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

YongChun
09-28-2004, 09:56 PM
It's difficult to judge from looks whether your Wing Chun is effective or not. Most people looked like that at some point in time especially in a random attack case and some experienced people still look like that. Even Bruce Lee had to shoot some scenes about 200 times before he thought it didn't look like crap. I saw Tsui Shan Ting and Wong Shun Leung doing a little Chi sau and it also didn't look very good and not at all like Wong Shun Leung on his tape. But I am sure both were controlling the action, sticking and doing all the right stuff. They said before they started that it wasn't going to look like movie fighting. I saw another Wing Chun master who is very good and also looks good in chi sau but in the random two against one case it didn't look at all good but he defended effectively.

Ali Hamad Rahim
09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
YongChun, I like the last post that you made. It's a good thing that you guys are around too help and make some people think.
I like this forum and the people on it. Keep up the good work. Thanks to all.

Ali Hamad Rahim

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

old jong
09-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Hey Ali!
I'm very happy that Wing Chun is not about posing and nice looking stances but it should not prevent us from moving well.You gave a good demo.
BTW,all these videos are going to beef up your bandwith!...;)

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks Old Jong, I just try too keep it real. During demos my students always ask, “what should I do”,before standing in front me and preparing too attack. I just smile and say do what you like. Boy you should see the looks on their faces.

Ali Hamad Rahim

old jong
10-01-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree with you Ali. This is the best way to do.You don't want to prepare for some attack and the guy,for some reason, suddenly do something else and you have to change defense fast or even take a shot!...Not a good way to impress the gallery!...;)
Anyway,it would not be Wing Chun any other way.

YongChun
10-01-2004, 10:08 PM
In the late 60's I had a 7th degree black belt Karate instructor who used to do demo's of a student attacking him with a sword. At first he said that he told the student to chop high and then chop low, anyway a particular sequence. However he found the student often got mixed up especially in front of a large crowd. He said that was way more dangerous than a random attack. So later he told the student just to attack at random. I doubt if he could have defended against a real sword master but for demos of that era it looked good.

sihing
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
In a public demo, if it were to be random then the public wouldn't see much, because as soon as the student came close enough to reach me I would attack, not wait and chase hands...Demo's are just that to DEMONSTRATE the art, not spar or fight. People would not understand the process if that were to happen like the above, IMO. Of course some of it is show, and that is the purpose, to raise interest and have questions arise. If you do not want to attract students then don't demonstrate, keep it for yourself...

James

blooming lotus
10-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Ali.

yah that was a shocker, but I've seen your far worse on another thread..your a huge as* dude and calling your board breaking "iron "skill on three slabs ?? :rolleyes:

sure dude.do ten or twelve , come full weight on your spear balance trick and I will nearly kiss your forum As*........

B

Sorry dude.too real to kiss butt today ;) :):)

look fwd to the updated clip version

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-02-2004, 03:11 AM
Yeah I know I could do more bricks. But I thought 7 three and a half inch blocks was enough. And far as that sword hook up, my wife said if she fined out that I did it again, that she would walk out on me, and I would never see her again. I have another demo coming soon. How about I’ll break a 2 foot thick- ice block. And the best thing about that is that I stay 2 miles from an ice company. And another thing in demos I never straight out attack my students. If I do, they would not have any defense. And it would look one side it. Thanks to all who enjoy the clips?

Ali Hamad Rahim.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 06:00 AM
firstly lol at the thumb print on your forehead,

and a ft thick you say??

You are still a big guy and have a measure of muscular strength that is having little to do with any chi projection skill.

Vajramusti
10-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Hi Rahim-
Yours is reallya jam packed site. I have enjoyed visiting it from time to time. Good wishes..

t_niehoff
10-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Excellent! That is the best parody clip I've seen in quite a while. I have to admit, that I had been taking many of your posts seriously, not tongue-in-cheek. You got me! Keep up the good work.

Your fan,

Terence

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Here is some more video footage of Nelson and me playing chi sao

Ali Hamad Rahim.

El Tejon
10-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Hello, neighbor.:)

Great website you guys have there. Maybe we'll meet sometime. Until that day.:D

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks to all for enjoying the web site. And I consider you all a big part of my wing chun family.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

blooming lotus
10-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Ali :-

why don't you folks acknowledge dimmak / pressue points in your system anyway??? I've just had a look at some of the don chi sao clips on your site and you're working the chest point , forearm ponts and the wrist vulnerablities according these principals that supposedly don't exist...... I just don't get it!! :confused:

Ali Hamad Rahim
10-02-2004, 11:23 PM
That’s true I teach those type of moves from Five Animals Kung Fu (dim mak) and more or less some chin na also. In early history and up to now it never was part of the wing chun system (dim mak), but some may say different. I have got kind of bored with the palm and fist strikes, so about 7 years ago I just started working on only hitting points and cavity strikes. I haven’t fought with it yet, but I fool around with students from time to time with it. But I have trained in dim mak for a little less then 8 years.

Ali Hamd Rahim.

blooming lotus
10-03-2004, 05:03 AM
very cool and on the therapy / tcm side????

jonp
11-02-2004, 09:33 AM
'so what is the magiclean 3000 good for?'

'well im glad u asked that bill as the magiclean 3000 is good for anykind of cleaning....'

'very cool and on the therapy / tcm side????'

'well its....'

cheaper than advertising i guess

Matrix
11-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Rahim,

Congrats to you and your student Nelson. He does a good job of explaining your Woo Fai Ching system theory. I like the way you guys break it down. Keep 'em coming.

Peace,

Matrix
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
...... but I've seen your far worse on another thread... BL,
OK, I'll be the trouble maker. Which thread is "far worse"?? :p

Ali Hamad Rahim
11-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Matrix:

And thank you. Our DVD’s will explain in great detail of the human body anatomy, structure, physic, and what we believe to be the right body mechanics. I’m glad you’re happy with the info. All DVD’s staring my student Nelson, which will be a very high quality production.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

Phil Redmond
11-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by A Soave
I thought the clips were good also. But theres too much very blantant slander of both Master Redmond and GrandMaster Chung. Both are not-too-thinly veiled attempts to disparage their style, as well as the age-old, rival-perpetuated myth about "challenging and defeating". Such inflammatory comments are not only untrue but engender serious credibility issues. Rather than try to celebrate wing chun it is divisive, demonstrating that the internet can be used for whatever anyone wants to throw up there without regard to truth or honesty.
Why do you find these things are necessary?
Tony

This is from Rahims site.
"Master Rahim is the only certified Master of Wing Chun in the tri-county area of Detroit."

To clarify I was promoted to Master level (yeah, I know Ernie...smile), by William Cheung in April 2004. And I live in the Tri-County area of Detroit. ;)
I do believe that taking off the disparaging remarks about myself, William Cheung, and Wing Chun Do Sifu Ambrose would be better for the WC community at large. Things like this make WC look bad to people in and outside of WC. WC sites should try promote WC in a positive way.

Vajramusti
11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Phil- I thought all this was over. But my question is about what you said as follows:

"He even went up to Sifu Cheung and said that he was a chess master and mentioned some chess gambits. He was surprised to hear that Sifu Cheung was a chess Grandmaster and knew all of the gambits he mentioned."

Phil- a chess grandmatser hasa fairly objective meaning (unlike the martial arts and specially wing chun).because there are specific rating sytems. Are you sure that William Cheung is a chess grandmaster? I very much doubt it-it strains credibility- but I would acknowledge my error if he is a chess grandmaster.
That would be a rarefied world of the likes of Karpov, Anand, Kasparov, Spassky, Fischer, Kramnick, Korchnoi and others.

What is his FIDE or Chess federation rating?

YongChun
11-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
He was surprised to hear that Sifu Cheung was a chess Grandmaster and knew all of the gambits he mentioned.

Hey Phil,

Email me and tell me some more about William Cheung being a Chess Grandmaster. Any record of his games? That explains why he wrote an article comparing Chess and Wing Chun. I am a chess player as well but not at his level. One of my students is a chess fanatic so he would be interested to find out more.

Ray

Phil Redmond
11-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by YongChun
Hey Phil,

Email me and tell me some more about William Cheung being a Chess Grandmaster. Any record of his games? That explains why he wrote an article comparing Chess and Wing Chun. I am a chess player as well but not at his level. One of my students is a chess fanatic so he would be interested to find out more.

Ray
Hi Ray, I'll ask him when I see him This weekend. I know he is a chess master and that he said he's played chess Grandmasters. He did mention a few gambits during that conversation that were over my head.
So I won't be called a liar I'll double check with him whether or not he's a chess grandmaster or a master. ;)
Phil

Vajramusti
11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Broken telephone perhaps.
William Cheung is not listed asa FIDE grandmaster or top 100
in USCF- the two big rating sytems apart from speed chess, internet chess etc.

Even for master rating in USCF you have to reach 2200 in rating.

In his rareified status Kasparov is 2780 in FIDE and about 2880 in USCF.

Both my sons when they were in active competition (which you have to be-because ratings go up/down) were close to master status before they quit playing in tournaments.Active players keep moving up. Inactive can slide down and the skills can erode.

Ratings do have specific meanings in chess.

Interestingly, Lennox Lewis plays chess. I do not know at what level. Still--impressive that he plays.

Phil Redmond
11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Vajramusti

?????????

Phil Redmond
11-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Vajramusti
William Cheung is not listed asa FIDE grandmaster or top 100
in USCF- the two big rating sytems apart from speed chess, internet chess etc.

Even for master rating in USCF you have to reach 2200 in rating.

In his rareified status Kasparov is 2780 in FIDE and about 2880 in USCF.

Both my sons when they were in active competition (which you have to be-because ratings go up/down) were close to master status before they quit playing in tournaments.Active players keep moving up. Inactive can slide down and the skills can erode.

Ratings do have specific meanings in chess.

Interestingly, Lennox Lewis plays chess. I do not know at what level. Still--impressive that he plays.

OK Joy, The "chess master" discussed chess with Cheung Sifu and was impressed. I'll leave it at that. Like I said before I'm not familiar with the terms. So I made a mistake. Is there a listing of Chess Masters as well? The rest of what I wrote is fact.
Phil

YongChun
11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I'll challenge William Cheung in Chess provided he is blindfolded and I get a back up of ten people surrounding us.

Ray

Ultimatewingchun
11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I don't know much about chess ratings - but I have a story to tell you about chess, William Cheung, Phil Redmond, and myself.

I first met William Cheung (and became his student) at a two-day seminar in Boston - in August, 1983. After the Saturday seminar - some of us were invited to the apartment of someone connected with running the seminar. There were at least 15-20 people present in the three-room apartment...lots on noise (pots and pans) being banged around in the kitchen...people talking in the living room and bedroom, etc.

In the living room there was a chess set on the living room table - and William Cheung asked if anyone knew how to play...I immediately said that I did (My father taught me the game when I was about six years old - so I had been playing for a long time and was pretty good). Phil Redmond was there and also said that he knew how to play. The pieces were set up...and then William Cheung proceeded to sit with his BACK TO THE BOARD!!!

He then instructed Phil to tell him what pieces I moved - and where I moved them to!!! And the game began in this remarkable manner - I made the first move - Phil told him what I did - and he then instructed Phil about which one of his pieces to move - and where to move it!!!

After about 20 moves or so - he was beating me...I had taken one pawn and one bishop...he had captured two of my pawns, one bishop, and one knight; and needless to say - had the superior positional advantage as well.

GM Cheung then announced that it was getting a little complicated now...so he had to turn around and look at the board. Inside of about another 6-7 moves or so...he checkmated my king!

True story.

The man has incredible powers of concentration and visualization - which has served him well in many areas of life, including, needless to say - his Wing Chun fighting skills.

Phil Redmond
11-05-2004, 08:26 AM
I forgot about that incident. You forgot to add that Sifu was also takling to people in the other room as well while he was telling me what moves to make. He even told you not to make a particular move if I remember correctly. Like you I know nothing of chess ratings.
Phil

Waxwood rod
11-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Cool story

wingchun187
08-11-2007, 06:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gW74UJxgso

t_niehoff
08-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't know much about chess ratings - but I have a story to tell you about chess, William Cheung, Phil Redmond, and myself.

I first met William Cheung (and became his student) at a two-day seminar in Boston - in August, 1983. After the Saturday seminar - some of us were invited to the apartment of someone connected with running the seminar. There were at least 15-20 people present in the three-room apartment...lots on noise (pots and pans) being banged around in the kitchen...people talking in the living room and bedroom, etc.

In the living room there was a chess set on the living room table - and William Cheung asked if anyone knew how to play...I immediately said that I did (My father taught me the game when I was about six years old - so I had been playing for a long time and was pretty good). Phil Redmond was there and also said that he knew how to play. The pieces were set up...and then William Cheung proceeded to sit with his BACK TO THE BOARD!!!

He then instructed Phil to tell him what pieces I moved - and where I moved them to!!! And the game began in this remarkable manner - I made the first move - Phil told him what I did - and he then instructed Phil about which one of his pieces to move - and where to move it!!!

After about 20 moves or so - he was beating me...I had taken one pawn and one bishop...he had captured two of my pawns, one bishop, and one knight; and needless to say - had the superior positional advantage as well.

GM Cheung then announced that it was getting a little complicated now...so he had to turn around and look at the board. Inside of about another 6-7 moves or so...he checkmated my king!

True story.

And quite honestly, not a very impressive story. Even modestly skilled chess players - class A players, for example - can play blind-fold games, particularly against weak players. I've seen some grandmasters who played 20 people simultaneously (20 different games) while blind folded. These are the sorts of things that impress the unskilled.

And in case you think I don't know what I'm talking about, see http://jimvoelker.com/statech.html
and 1982, 1986.

The man has incredible powers of concentration and visualization - which has served him well in many areas of life, including, needless to say - his Wing Chun fighting skills.

Certainly he has an imagination that served him well. ;)

YungChun
08-11-2007, 08:50 AM
And quite honestly, not a very impressive story. Even modestly skilled chess players - class A players, for example - can play blind-fold games, particularly against weak players. I've seen some grandmasters who played 20 people simultaneously (20 different games) while blind folded. These are the sorts of things that impress the unskilled.

And in case you think I don't know what I'm talking about, see http://jimvoelker.com/statech.html
and 1982, 1986.

Certainly he has an imagination that served him well. ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

t_niehoff
08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I just get sooo tired of the hero-worship stuff -- and this story was a good example of it.

And it parallels his martial arts. Cheung did something that wasn't at all notable among "good" chessplayers (any decent chessplayer could do at least the same thing), but nevertheless seemed to amaze poor chessplayers who believe they are good (but, of course, have never played competitively and so never really played anyone good). And from that experience, Cheung becomes a "man of incredible powers of concentration and visualization - which has served him well in many areas of life, including, needless to say - his Wing Chun fighting skills." Since my chessplaying skills dwarf Cheung's, I must have even more highly developed "powers of concentrations . . ." ;)

Some people are so gullible.

Wayfaring
08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I just get sooo tired of the hero-worship stuff -- and this story was a good example of it.

And it parallels his martial arts. Cheung did something that wasn't at all notable among "good" chessplayers (any decent chessplayer could do at least the same thing), but nevertheless seemed to amaze poor chessplayers who believe they are good (but, of course, have never played competitively and so never really played anyone good). And from that experience, Cheung becomes a "man of incredible powers of concentration and visualization - which has served him well in many areas of life, including, needless to say - his Wing Chun fighting skills." Since my chessplaying skills dwarf Cheung's, I must have even more highly developed "powers of concentrations . . ." ;)

You play competitive chess? What's your rating?

t_niehoff
08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
You play competitive chess? What's your rating?

I haven't played competively (in tournametns) since about 1991 or so -- when our team won the US Amatuer Team Championship (I was first board). At that time, my USCF rating was around 2300.

jesper
08-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Sometimes I dont get you... well often, but thats another matter.

Ofcourse people gets amazed at this. Its not like anyone can just sit down and play chess blindfolded. It does takes practice and an ability to stay focused + the ability to remember where all the pieces are.

But ofcourse you would just beat everyone on this forum blindfolded im sure.

Btw why would it be harder to play blindfolded against a very skilled man, than against a moderately skilled man. If its that easy I suspect the blindfold shouldnt make any difference.

Ah well, back to rahim

Wayfaring
08-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I haven't played competively (in tournametns) since about 1991 or so -- when our team won the US Amatuer Team Championship (I was first board). At that time, my USCF rating was around 2300.

Almost a master's rating. That's pretty impressive - that would put you in around the top 4000 in the world, maybe. A few hundred behind Kasparov, Bobby Fischer, and "Big Blue".

I could see why you'd take issue with someone using a generic term "chess master" referring to a non-competitive player.

Vajramusti
08-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Agree on chess- usually not on wing chun.
No 1 and No 2 sons were both chess players- one was first board on the New Mexico HS chess champ teams, No2 ditto for Arizona team championship.They could do those tricks and play simultaneous chess etc.
That was some years ago. I taught the the basics- they were soon whupping me.
They have faded now but at their peak they hovered aroung 1900-2000.They each played quite different games. Both could do those tricks easily.They did wc for a year as kids- didnt push them beyond that, Number one developed some anti falling balance out of it. Number 2 drifted to boxing in the same gym as Tyson for a year. Their middle cousin who practiced wing chun with them went on to become the number one seeded heavyweight HS wrestler in Oklahoma years ago but also drifted away from competition.Also packs a punch.But ol man river keeps rolling along.

joy chaudhuri

YungChun
08-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Yes, they should be ashamed for being impressed by a non-master chess player... How sad and pathetic it is for such people to look up to others who may possess greater skills in one or more things than they themselves have, how sad—how imperfect—how human...

What is much more sad are those who rejoice and as a matter of course; belittle and mock those who admire others, are inspired by others skills, or their particular set of abilities, for merely being greater than their own—for having a hero—for being human—how insensitive, how unkind—how rude.

A Soave
08-11-2007, 05:44 PM
They did wc for a year as kids- didnt push them beyond that, Number one developed some anti falling balance out of it.

Number 2 drifted to boxing in the same gym as Tyson for a year.

Their middle cousin who practiced wing chun with them went on to become the number one seeded heavyweight HS wrestler in Oklahoma years ago but also drifted away from competition.Also packs a punch.But ol man river keeps rolling along.

Oklahoma has one hell of a reputation in wrestling. With Iowa maybe the best in the country. To be a top seed would be quite a feat. But never underestimate the "sleepers", eh?

AR

Vajramusti
08-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Even small towns in Oklahoma have school programs in wrestling and football.
My college days in the US were in Oklahoma. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma U are up there in wrestling... and Oklahoma U. OU usually hasa top notch football team and OSU is not too bad. Wrestlers could do well in shifting to football- the reverse was less true.

t_niehoff
08-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Almost a master's rating. That's pretty impressive - that would put you in around the top 4000 in the world, maybe. A few hundred behind Kasparov, Bobby Fischer, and "Big Blue".

I could see why you'd take issue with someone using a generic term "chess master" referring to a non-competitive player.

2200 is a master's rating.

t_niehoff
08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes, they should be ashamed for being impressed by a non-master chess player... How sad and pathetic it is for such people to look up to others who may possess greater skills in one or more things than they themselves have, how sad—how imperfect—how human...

Once again you miss the point entirely.

Victor is impressed by Cheung's chessplaying antics (the blindfold game) and sees this as evidence of "incredible powers" -- his very words. But instead of looking into it, of seeing what really good chessplayers, like competive masters, can do, he jumps to conclusions, conclusions that are based on his own experiences as a really poor chessplayer (who thinks he is good). Thus, Cheung with a mediocre performance becomes a hero imbued with "incredible powers."

This is exactly what people do with WCK/fighting skill; they see mediocre (at best) performances and because they have little to no experience with really good fighters, believe they are seeing "incredible power". And just as with chess, if they took the time to really look into it, to see what the really good ones can do, they'd realize what loads of bunk are being sold to them, they'd realize that their heroes are nothing special, etc.

What is much more sad are those who rejoice and as a matter of course; belittle and mock those who admire others, are inspired by others skills, or their particular set of abilities, for merely being greater than their own—for having a hero—for being human—how insensitive, how unkind—how rude.

So we should just let people be taken advantage of, to be misled, to believe things that are false to be "kind" or "sensitive"? Hero worship only blinds us, it blinds us to reality. Only once someone is free from hero worship can they begin to see things as they really are. What's sad is that you can't see that.

Wayfaring
08-12-2007, 04:34 AM
2200 is a master's rating.

My lack of knowledge of this probably serves to illustrate that my peak chess was between 8 and 12 years old. I never pursued competing.

YungChun
08-12-2007, 12:32 PM
So we should just let people be taken advantage of, to be misled, to believe things that are false to be "kind" or "sensitive"? Hero worship only blinds us, it blinds us to reality. Only once someone is free from hero worship can they begin to see things as they really are. What's sad is that you can't see that.
No, you don't get it...

You continuously look down your nose at everything and everyone who in your estimation doesn't make the cut at the very top of the heap...as if you are the only one at the top of everything.. Do you think folks thought that Cheung was playing at the level of a Kasporov or other world champion? Victor started his post off with a disclaimer that, 'he doesn't know much about Chess ratings'...

Do you think that now that you have 'revealed' the 'truth' that Cheung is perhaps, nothing more than a *competent chess player* <and I assume you are guessing> that people will loose their respect and admiration for the man, for who he is and what he *can* do? For possessing his unique combination of human abilities?

It's not about being the best in the world in a given activity that attracts people to others or that inspires them, it's a unique combination of attributes that a person has an how they express those attributes that makes them special and unique--that attracts others to them that inspires admiration for the person and who they are...

I admired my father for his ability to figure out what was wrong with cars and fix them; Not because he was the greatest mechanic in the world but because he wasn't a mechanic at all, never had any training as a mechanic and never worked as a mechanic, yet still was still able to fix his own cars most of the time... It was this attribute not as a stand-alone Godlike component but as a part of the whole of who he was that made it impressive along with other things he did and who he was..

Not everyone is a world champion anything, yet we can still respect and admire people for what they can do, for the skills they do possess, for what we can and do learn from them--even if they are not the best in the world..

The same is true for who people fight or spar with.. You look down your nose at any experience that is not YOUR experience instead of acknowledging the efforts of those who get out there and spar or fight hard.. You look down your nose at anyone who does not prove what they say is true; You look down your nose at anyone who admires skills that you personally have not verified and you mock and belittle people for sharing/having such experience—when going strictly by the numbers I know some of those people would kick your butt with the very WCK you look down your nose at...

In the end the only person around here who needs to prove anything is you since you mock everyone's else's experience and ideas; and you cannot provide any of the very proof you demand because you know it would let all the air out of your gas bag to do so. And as a result you would never be taken seriously again—assuming there is anyone left around here who still does take you seriously.