PDA

View Full Version : Ki Ups in Kungfu ( Iam going let ya'll give word before I judge)

dre_doggX
09-28-2004, 07:21 AM
this is about a school in Chicago I thought was not just external, but was doing they stuff wrong, it looked like these people where karate, or Tae kwon do, but then I thought to myself, no Karate and Taekwondo can do better then this, I just going to post what I asked. and I am going to post what he said back.... and ya'll going to talk.

Me (dre):
" I am very curious about your kung fu school.I went there when you where doing
external styles. I couldnt speak to the head instructor about this.. Why is it
you guys yell "Ki Up"when you pratice strikes.I seen Taekwondo artist do this
alot, but why is this done in Kung fu?and if I my ask, what is the lineage, of
Song to Kung fu styles he teaches.I was there in the advance class.thank you "

Greg K:

"We don't yell "ki up" when we practice strikes. Keying up is what we do when we
practice strikes. It's the sound that comes from within to help us make a more
powerful strike. This is done in Kung Fu as well as Tae Kwon Do and Karate. If
you would like, the next time you're in Chicago or Champaign, we can discuss
more about our school."

and of dialouge for now. Iam going to let others on here talk.

red5angel
09-28-2004, 07:28 AM
this is about a school in Chicago I thought was not just external, but was doing they stuff wrong,

and what exactly allows you to determine that they were "doing things wrong"? Because they didn't snap into your ideal kungfu school preconceptions or what?

MasterKiller
09-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Shaolin guys can scream a lot of things while striking, but I've never heard of anyone screaming "Ki Up" before...

dre_doggX
09-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Ki Up is Taekwondo, and I dont think it even came from Korea, because Ki Up is probably a spin off of Ki Ai of Japanese Karate, that once had an influence in T.K.D in the 50s. for a short time. anyways, this is wack. I say this isnt Kungfu, because of the jerky tense punches that had no power... In Taekwondo(which I used to do), my Teachers where able to punch with a relax strike that only tensed alittle bit at the end.....

NOW GET READY FOR THIS.................

THey would Ki Up AFTER THEY DID A STRIKE. not during they strike like you are suppose (If you are doing Karate or Taekwondo), but this was Kung fu so why are they trying(hence trying) to do that at all.....

red5angel
09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't get the hangup here. So what if the guys are doing ki up or not. That doesn't make or break it as kungfu. Hell, even if they are jerky with "no power" (By the way, did any of them actualy punch you to confirm this?) that still doesn't make it not kungfu, it just makes it badly practiced kungfu with a ki up when they punch.

MasterKiller
09-28-2004, 12:01 PM
They have a website?

Ben Gash
09-28-2004, 03:26 PM
CLF has very specific vocalisations for specific techniques, similar in principle to the vocalisations in Hung Gar's Iron Thread, rather than the generic Kihap (harmonised Ki; Kiai in Japanese) of Tae Kwon Do.

omarthefish
09-28-2004, 04:25 PM
I always find it hard to suppress laughter when people actually shout "KIAI!" or "Ki UP!" since it is the a word for shouting in the other languages. It would be like an American shouting "YELL!" everytime he punched.

Ki Hup in Korean means literally "qi together"
Ki Ai in Japanese.
Qi He in Chinese.

There's a TKD class at my gym here in China and they call it a 'qi he'.

And it's certainly used in Baji. It's called 'ha' breathing'.

dre_doggX
09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
http://www.songskungfu.com/

you know what no its not, and anyone who took Kung fu before external or internal (especially) internal will tell you. its was just like very bad Tae-bo. thats all i thought it was rediculous. it made me angry. bye looking at the website, I get the impression that this school is good, but the photos shown here are not from they school i went to. I went to they school on Lawerance and Milwaukee. its reallly on 4800 N. Milwaukee Ave.

MasterKiller
09-30-2004, 09:21 AM
I dunno. It looks a little McKwoony, but nothing too far out of the ordinary. I would be interested to know who he learned his Shaolin from, especially if he learned it in Korea.

Hermes3X
09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Are their mouths open when They shout? If so, they aren't particularly authentic Chinese. If their teeth are clinched and they're shouting "Bill Gates is the Messiah" (which, with clinched teeth, would sound like "IILLL ATTESSSSHHH IISS UUHHH MUUHHHSSHHIUH") then they're probably good Chinese practioners. Hell my sifu calls forms katas, but he's pretty **** traditional

Ben Gash
10-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Ahhhhhhh, and suddenly it all becomes clear. Looks like it's Sup Pal Gi (http://yakfs.com/0frameset.htm) or "Korean Kung Fu"

omarthefish
10-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Hermes3X
Are their mouths open when They shout? If so, they aren't particularly authentic Chinese. . .

Extra points for the Bill Gates joke. And regardless of the Korean influence in this particular school...the above statment is not entirely accurate.

Baji's so called 'heng ha' breathing means that on various moves your mouth is very much open. It's the only way you can shout "HA!" with sufficient oomph. The 'ha' part of heng-ha breathing is no different from a really good kiai.

Hermes3X
10-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Perhaps it is a Northern method?

Not to be troublesome, but isn't Baji Manchu in origin?

omarthefish
10-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Northern? yes.

Manchu? Not particularly.

Traditionally Baji is of Taoist origin. Any of you knuckleheads want to tell me it's an "Islamic style" better first ask yourselves where the Hui got it from. Who does Wu Zhong, the source of ALL Hui Baji, say he learned it?

The only links to the Man people are these:

1. Baji became famous in the northeast, the homeland of the Man people...but mostly among Hui.

2. The earliest records we have of Baji are from Qi Jiguang of the Qing dynasty. The Qing's were Man but that doesn't mean they were any more signifigant a part of the population then than now. Just more influential. The only thing we really know about Baji in that period is that it existed and Qi Jiguang thought it was good stuff.