PDA

View Full Version : finally got the clips from wong

Shaolinlueb
09-28-2004, 09:33 AM
heres some clip i took from the august tourny (wong 2004) some lion dance and me doing an eagle claw form and my friend doing a northern shaolin form (skipped a part :o). then from the grand opening me doing more traditional. will have some wushu clips from the schol later.
http://www.nacma.net/demo/index.html

not the best performances but ill show anyways.

SifuAbel
09-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Not bad, your friend was doing #7. Interesting take on the form.

sean_stonehart
09-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Lion wasn't bad at all. It was nice to see an old school trick in it.

Shaolinlueb
09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
Not bad, your friend was doing #7. Interesting take on the form.

hmmm, he skipped a part. i guess you noticed :D

LarryD
09-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
heres some clip i took from the august tourny (wong 2004) http://www.nacma.net/demo/index.html

not the best performances but ill show anyways.

Cool! and you got part of my finish at the start of Adams Eagle Claw Lohan at the Wong tournament.
Adam L Eagle Claw Lohan (http://www.nacma.net/demo/wong2004%20videos/ShaolinLuebYingJowLohan.WMV)

SifuAbel
09-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Would you mind a bit of a critique?

Shaolinlueb
09-28-2004, 03:50 PM
eh go for it Sifu Abel. I know my lohan wasnt that great and it needs work, my friend who does #7 doesnt come here so.. if you want.

David Jamieson
09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
i thought the plum flower form looked ok except for the ommision of a chunk of it the second tornado kick and the rest of teh back half of the form.

your eagle claw form was ok too SL. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

SifuAbel
09-28-2004, 04:05 PM
You ever play with a hollow bat with a weight in it? As you swing it, the weight goes to the end of the bat and you feel the weight . You've got to show more of the "surge" in your strikes. That "weight" has to look like its hitting the inside of your strike.

Next you have to avoid "wilting" . That is, you must make sure that you maintain every position throughout your movement. Going from move to move without there being a moment where your hands are just "floating".

Next you have avoid "jiggle" . You must move through your set fluidly but be set in stone when its comes to the showing the end of the move. Its got to look like a blurr then a still picture. Especially in your stances. That horse has to look like its set in concrete.

And , most importantly, "deliberateness" this abstract concept shows thought in performance. Those players that know exaclty what the move is doing have this quality. The move comes across with more feeling. You feel the "fight" in the move.

As for the #7, I just thought it was bit choppy in places.

norther practitioner
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Good stuff SL.

omarthefish
09-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Now maybe the skipped parts were forgotten, maybe not. I dunno. But I do know that when I did Hung Gar, IF anyone went to enter a forms competition we never did the complete or original forms. We didn't make stuff up but we always took things out and rearanged other bits because we knew there would be video and we didn't want to let our forms be videoed by anyone who didn't get specific persmission from Sifu.

The moves wouldn't be changed but if the form ever showed up elsewhere we would know where they got it from.

Just a thought.

SifuAbel
09-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Thats pretty much standard practice.

norther practitioner
09-28-2004, 05:26 PM
The form I was competing with, was most of one form, and one line out of another. The original form, which I like, was borderline too short.

Shaolinlueb
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
he jsut blanked and did what he could think of.

IronFist
09-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Does anyone else think it's freaking scary when the sword guys are doing forms right next to the other people? If they both end up in the same place at the same time, someone's going to get hurt, especially if it's one of those moves where you attack behind you without looking! He could easily stab the empty hand form guy and not realize it. :eek:

IronFist
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
What does "hao?" mean?

I was recently at a kung fu tournament (spectating) and people in the audience kept yelling that out. I heard some people yell that out in that video and it reminded me to ask what it meant.

Shaolin Dude
09-28-2004, 10:18 PM
mandarin for good