PDA

View Full Version : Knees and Elbows to the face

YongChun
09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I think it is good to add grappling attempts, take down attempts, headlocks, joint locks etc. as part of a Chi Sau session but with hitting taken out as a way to counter these things and control and positioning put in it’s place. If you do it this way then it prevents injuries such as getting knees in the face and elbows on the back of the neck gives people the opportunity to try a lot more things than if they know each time they risk getting their nose broken from a strike which in reality may still not stop the grappler anyway. Of course hitting also has it’s place but people shouldn’t automatically assume that they can just knee and elbow a grappler intent on taking them down or locking them up. Perhaps this training fits in logically at the BJ level whereas striking and kicking fits more in with the SLT and CK level of Chi sau and distance training.

anerlich
09-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I agree it is possible and practical to add all the above techniques to chi sao, sparring and pummelling practice.

It is feasible to add knees and elbows to a session provided headgear, elbow and knee pads are worn, and both participants realise it is not necessary to go 100% to make the workout worthwhile.

Aliveness != full power striking.

If you are training to avoid takedowns, the torso is not a great target for knees - head (while holding the opp bent over) and thighs are the targets of choice - too easy to grab the leg otherwise.

yellowpikachu
09-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by anerlich

If you are training to avoid takedowns, the torso is not a great target for knees - head (while holding the opp bent over) and thighs are the targets of choice - too easy to grab the leg otherwise.

We might want to think in the direction of Undertand instead of Avoid?

To think AVOID always put one in a position of defensive thinking and always lead by others.

While Thinking Understanding put one to see what is there and opening up to both offensive and defensive and leading the situation.

anerlich
09-28-2004, 05:36 PM
We might want to think in the direction of Undertand instead of Avoid?

What, you're finally going to start BJJ training?

:p :p :p

Should I "understand" getting hit hard in the face or poked in the eye ... or should I avoid it?

Perhaps, by trying out knee strikes to various parts of your partner's anatomy while he resists counters and attempts takedowns in an alive fashion, you will UNDERTAND (sic) what to AVOID, and what works for you.

yellowpikachu
09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
What, you're finally going to start BJJ training?

:p :p :p

Should I "understand" getting hit hard in the face or poked in the eye ... or should I avoid it?

Perhaps, by trying out knee strikes to various parts of your partner's anatomy while he resists counters and attempts takedowns in an alive fashion, you will UNDERTAND (sic) what to AVOID, and what works for you.

1, BJJ is not an equalvalent term of all ground work in the world.

2, Different people think differently due to different memes or "consciousness" DNA.

as some has said, the rich think about how to make as much money as possible. The middle class think about how to comfortablely pay thier bill. The lower class think lagging is a nature and to be rich is very difficult to achive.

What is the believe define one's attitude. And Belive is difficult to change. Thus, one stays as one and achive as one.

There are plenty of people in the 70's think Wing CHun is the ultimate of martial art. that is a belive. So does people in 2000's can think about xwy acb ground fighting....is the ultimate.

All is about believe, nothing good or bad. But, it always help to know what is one's belive so one can know its strenght and its weakness. because Belive is a short cut to operation and it is not great to have short cut running in oneself without any idea about its existance.

If one think one cannot make it. The self image decline and nothing in their body can boost thier performance.

If one heard and believe Bruce Lee is the best fighter, then while facing Bruce Lee there is no need to be a fight. The fight had over long time ago. the believe has accept the lost. To not believe is not a guarentee to win. But atleast it offer a chance to win or even see things in a different perspective.

anerlich
09-28-2004, 06:29 PM
BJJ is not an equalvalent term of all ground work in the world.

What an amazing revelation :o

Different people think differently due to different memes

Ditto :o