PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop & Martial Arts

CaptinPickAxe
09-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Looming Blotus called Chen Zhen out on never posting any Martial related material (whoa, big cut down...) I was reading one of my antique "The Source" magazine and found an article about Jackie Chan. In it, it explain how Hip Hop's roots where deep in the Chopy Socky films. If I may I'd like to post a few snippits from the magazine.

The Source Magazine October '98 #109 p.102
"Adrenaline Rush" written by, Eric K. Arnold

Ever since the 70's, the martial arts action movie has had a profound impact on the hip-hop genereation. Back then, Kung-Fu and Blaxploitation movies where often featured together on double-bills in New York's Times Square movie houses. Just as Superfly and Dolomite influenced hip-hop culture, so too did the early chop socky flicks like Enter the Dragon and Five Fingers of Death.
As a matter of fact,

the old school title of "Grandmaster," as in Flash and Caz, was adapted from the prestigeous title "Sigung" only bestowed upon a supreme martial expert. Deeper still,

Hip-hop's four elements (MCing, DJing, breaking, and graffiti) can be compared to the "Five Element Theory" of martial arts philosophy, which holds true that all natural elements are interconnected (the fifth element being the spirit).

Other points:
-Wu-Tang Clan
-Jeru the Damaja's "Ya Playin' Ya self" video. Which was actually shot in Hong Kong
-Camp Lo's "Black Connection" a la "Chinese Connection"
-DJ Qbert and any other DJ who uses Kung Fu movie quotes in his session
-The theory that most underground artist hold true, You cannot find yourself w/o trial and meditation.

I'll add more when I think of them...anyone else have anything else to add?

Serpent
09-28-2004, 05:15 PM
I do martial arts and I'm listening to hip hop as I type this. Coincidence? I think not!

Mind you, I dig metal more....

norther practitioner
09-28-2004, 06:01 PM
I actually remember that article.. and it's funny how into KF movies the guy I promote hip hop with has gotten since I introduced him to some of the better movies.

CaptinPickAxe
09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Dude, I found all my old Source & Playboy magazines. Some are like 6-8 years old. Theres a picture of Andre 3000 in it before he started dressing like a druggie:D

BTW, the girls in Playboy are fine as hell, but the articles is what makes it an outstanding magazine.

CaptinPickAxe
09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I also forgot to metion that Wu Tang Clan has produced many soundtracks for Kung Fu flicks, the most recent being Rza scoring Kill Bill.